• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    any brands that you all recommend?> are tactical vests overkill for shooting at the range? ill want to do some3gun n the future, so im thikning more along the blackhawk tactical series...

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Blackhawk vests are well made and have all that tacticool factor. IMO, wearing one to the range will get you lots of rolled eyes.

But I think it is wise to have one hanging up in a closet for possible use...

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Range wear???

We have had a few good laughs at some range commandos wearing the tacticool gear.... they should have invested that $$ into ammo, range time and mybe even some instruction.

One gentleman had the vest, drop leg holster, backup revolver behind the back and a scoped AR that he couldnt hit with at 50yds!!!

If he was SWAT w/ cat like prowness we wouldnt have thought much about it, but he was definately an internet wannabe with more money than sense. He wouldnt accept help, suggestions etc. from anyone, not even the other guy that he was with.:dunno:

But, I agree... a vest for your go bag is always a prudent investment.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    IMO, wearing one to the range will get you lots of rolled eyes.

But I think it is wise to have one hanging up in a closet for possible use...

I agree... a vest for your go bag is always a prudent investment.

So, do you guys actually get out and train/practice in your gear? If not, do you think the proverbial "SHTF" scenario is the appropriate time to start learning how it all works?

waloidian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Bloomingtonian
    shooter521, that was along the lines of my thinking. Get one vest that can do a number of things, and could get comfrotable with..break it, understand where the mags are, straps, etc. But I understand the overkill poseur image as well. Ill just wear the tac around the house and in the backyard :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    But I understand the overkill poseur image as well.

I've got a rig that lets me carry a bunch of mags and some other useful doodads (med kit, etc), as well as hydration. When I am in situations that require such a capability (primarily classes and matches), or when training for same, I wear it. I've had a couple snide remarks thrown my way, but I haven't really given a damn. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    any brands that you all recommend?> are tactical vests overkill for shooting at the range? ill want to do some3gun n the future, so im thikning more along the blackhawk tactical series...

Vests and chest rigs have very little utility in 3-gun. You might see one occasionally, but they're not necessary and won't provide any substantial benefit.

For potential emergencies, they could provide a lot of benefit!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Unless you are involved in an extended combat scenario, where you need to have everything on you. The vest can stay in the closet waiting for the zombie apocalypse. Just get a tool bag for all the crap you take to the range.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I've never needed a vest for anything I have participated in thus far. I did recently buy a Blackhawk! hydration system that happens to be the Coyote color and has Molle and storage all over it. I am looking forward to hearing any remarks I get the first time I wear it. I always thought a hydration system would come in handy at matches or at an extended stay at the range in hot weather. Those who know me know I'm anything but 'tacticool'. My normal range attire is jeans and a T-shirt. I wish Levi made a hydration system!!! lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    then what kind of vests or jackets do you all recommend for all around use? or are they just tacticool and belong in the closet for zombies

Again, it depends on use for what?

For what it's worth, if you want to wear a vest or chest rig, that should be adequate. I choose not to worry about what other people think of my choices.

But what you intend to do with it will affect choices.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Whatever you get I'd recommend Original S.O.E. products - they are superior IMO to all other companies.

I would suggest the Micro Rig - not a vest....but I have one and love it. It's talked about in the youtube video on this site at ~3:10 .....

Tactical Response Gear

It'll hold 4 ak or m4 magazines, it has a pouch on the sides of the mag pouches, and velcro compartment in the back.

Very adjustable and can be carried in many different ways.

ETA: Almost forgot that Site Advertiser Britton has these for sale
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/21st_century_firearms/18093-soe_gear_in_stock.html

Top Bottom