• ...and so much more!
  • FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    Evening INGO,

I've got some steel targets I've set up for pistol work I got online but am looking for somewhere local to southern Indiana I can get a larger 24"x24" square steel plate. This way I don't get killed on shipping. Plate needs to be able to withstand .308 at 150 yards. I'd love to hear your ideas of where and how to hang them (no trees around).

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    150 yards I wouldnt shoot steel under 200 yards brother.That .30 will come back in your lane.I shoot steel at Rayners in Ohio.All his steel is 230 yards min.out to 1000
    check out youtube on shooting steel lots of close ones.Stay safe!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    150 yards I wouldnt shoot steel under 200 yards brother.That .30 will come back in your lane.I shoot steel at Rayners in Ohio.All his steel is 230 yards min.out to 1000

As long as the steel is angled, and not pitted this shouldnt be an issue. We have shot steel at 100yds (with .308) and when its canted the fragments go straight down. Also, you can put them on chains which will help mitigate it as well.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

I shoot steel with .308 at 50 yards. 5.56mm up to 10 yards. If you do it right, there's no problem.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    5.56 frangible?

Mostly M193. I built my own target stands that angle downward. I also set them up so they're angled to one side. I use 5/8" AR 500 steel IPSC silhouettes. Even at that close range, 5.56 doesn't cause too much damage. I've shot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds at these, and there's virtually no pitting.

I do usually shoot my 11.5" at those closer ranges, but I have shot 16" and 20" AR's as well. I tend to try to shoot steel a little farther away with the longer barrels, but I haven't had a problem with fragmentation or ricochet.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Mostly M193. I built my own target stands that angle downward. I also set them up so they're angled to one side. I use 5/8" AR 500 steel IPSC silhouettes. Even at that close range, 5.56 doesn't cause too much damage. I've shot hundreds upon hundreds of rounds at these, and there's virtually no pitting.

I do usually shoot my 11.5" at those closer ranges, but I have shot 16" and 20" AR's as well. I tend to try to shoot steel a little farther away with the longer barrels, but I haven't had a problem with fragmentation or ricochet.

right on. Angling them is huge. My balls aren’t big enough for 10yds though.... lol. How do you buy pants?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Here’s my portable steel set-up. This is not an original idea … I liberated it from a long forgotten source on the interwebs. The original I saw used PVC pipe and fittings … I wanted something more durable, so I used black iron pipe. All the legs and cross bars are 36” long. I currently have 2 stands; 1 made from 3/4” pipe and the other from 1/2” pipe. If I were to do it all over again, I’d only use the 1/2” pipe.

All my targets are AR500 and hang from the cross bar with scrap firehose. I use cheap hardware to attach the steel to the firehose because it gets shot up and needs to be replaced at least once a year. The firehose in these pictures is newly replaced. The other hose was still functional, but was getting a bit ratty and full of metal shards after more than 2 years of use.

The firehose is from this source … https://www.firehosesupply.com/colle...crap-fire-hose

Here’s a photo of the kit … legs and cross bars go into the duffle bag for transport and the rest of the equipment in the milk crate.

prKMjnI.jpg

Here’s a photo of the stand all set up.

taa1FQi.jpg

A photo of the fittings used to hold it all together. The 45 and 90 degree fittings are tight, but not so tight that the legs cannot be adjusted.

4XYlByP.jpg

Yes, the frame gets shot … even the 1/2” frame … some go through, some just leave dents, but the whole thing doesn’t fall apart like a PVC frame would.

5JdycV8.jpg

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    right on. Angling them is huge. My balls aren’t big enough for 10yds though.... lol. How do you buy pants?

:laugh:

It's really not that bad. Like I said, I don't recommend shooting a 20" barrel at that distance, but the short barrels are okay.

I used to shoot the cardboard IPSC targets and use pasters, but with steel, I can shoot more and repair targets less. Huge time saver. Since I still like to do close range drills, I do shoot my steel at distances of as close as 5 yards with pistol, and 10 for short barreled rifles. I have never had any issues with anything significant flying back at me. I have had a couple very minor cuts on my hands from some metal fragments, but they barely even broke skin. I'm really not too worried about it.

FN USA

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Sellersburg
    I've been shooting steel more and more because of the convenience of not having to mark holes. I'm now setting up a steel range on my property and have a nice little selection of small steel plates.

smiley69_300

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Ripley County
    I've been shooting steel more and more because of the convenience of not having to mark holes. I'm now setting up a steel range on my property and have a nice little selection of small steel plates.

How big of an area are you using to setup your range? I’ve been wanting to do the same thing. I’m mainly going to be shooting pistols. I currently don’t own but 1 rifle.

Top Bottom