• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    I use 3 inch Remington Nitro Mags in #6. Took them and my 18 inch Mossy 500 out to Wilbur Wright, and at 50 yards the bulk of the shot was in a group the size of my fist on the pie plate, and almost none of it passed through the plywood backing. Definitely my HD choice now that I live in an apartment. Before that, I used 00 when I lived in a house from the 1920same. Those plaster and slat walls can take a beating.

My only concern now is mine and my family's hearing if I go for the shotty....

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Having done tunnel rat school I can confirm that the hearing loss will be there to stay. In a home invasion though that's a price I'm willing to pay.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I had #1 buck loaded. Better penetration for stopping a BG. Not as much over-penetration as 00. Now I have my AR set-up for home defense.

Much better overall in not only my opinion but the opinions of those that actually study and test these things.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I spent some years doing real estate contract repair in some bad parts of St. Louis ( I grew up in the Ferguson area). Had to fix a lot of doors and walls and floors and windows from gunshot damage. In my experience almost ANY caliber will zip right through drywall with no problem. If you fire at a wall expect anything or anyone on the other side to be in serious danger. A stud will stop most handgun rounds but that would be just pure luck if you hit one. My main house gun is a short shotgun loaded with No 1 buck. That load just does terrible damage - to anything (and goes right through walls and doors - of course)

Last edited:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Had a coworker come up to me the other day and say "Did you know 22 will zip right through drywall?". He evidently thought it was going to stop it as he was trying to use one sheet as a backstop.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    anybody can put their FOOT through drywall. expecting interior walls to be bullet resistant is delusional--unless you're using simunitions maybe--and many exterior walls aren't bullet proof either. Preplanning your lines of fire is the solution

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    On almost any new house with vinyl siding all you need is a battery operated Sawzall and you can cut a brand new door anywhere you want and any size you need. I have seen it done. Security is an illusion unless you live in a brick house with steel grates on every window. And I have done that too. I'm from St. Louis. But you couldn't pay me to live there now.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    On almost any new house with vinyl siding all you need is a battery operated Sawzall and you can cut a brand new door anywhere you want and any size you need. I have seen it done. Security is an illusion unless you live in a brick house with steel grates on every window. And I have done that too. I'm from St. Louis. But you couldn't pay me to live there now.
    Yes sir... or a Kangaroo cutting torch. Small bottles. No real sound. Easy and quick to get inside a steel cased door.

Top Bottom