• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    I did use IDF last week because South County hadn't opened up yet and I had a GB purchase to pick up.

Snapdragon - Where is South County located and are they a store, range or just an FFL? I've been going to Pelcher's (Good people, nice range) in Lansing for my range time lately, but I'm always looking for other options for a range in the Munster/Highland/Schereville area.

ckyoursix

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Over by there
    IDF in Schererville is their side business. Not to sure what their main business model is, but only one person in their front office handles FFL transfers.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Snapdragon - Where is South County located and are they a store, range or just an FFL? I've been going to Pelcher's (Good people, nice range) in Lansing for my range time lately, but I'm always looking for other options for a range in the Munster/Highland/Schereville area.

Store and FFL, and I guess they have some kind of simulator room now? Haven't been there yet.

South County Guns
    2133 US Highway 41
    Schererville, IN 46375
    219-390-7415

fuzzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up on these guys. I will have to check them out over the holidays.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    So what is the over all price on that block 43? Probably not such a good deal now.

The price from Grab A Gun was $450 plus the $75 made it $525. Cabela's wanted $550 plus $39 tax would have been $589. Still way better than buying from them.

jmpupillo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    NWI
    Generally, I like to buy from a gun store in the area (Blythes, Cabelas, South County Guns for me). But, I research all the prices I can get online and on Gunbroker. Then I tell them what my price would be if I go the online and transfer route, and compare it with their cost. They usually work with me, and even if there $50 or so higher, I buy from them (I understand they have overhead costs and I like brick and mortar shops in my area).

Cabela's as is THE biggest PITA when it comes to transfers or dealing, so I usually don't mess with them.

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    Check out www.kieslers.com you have to qualify by:

KIESLER'S DOES NOT SELL TO OR DEAL WITH THE CIVILIAN MARKET OR INDIVIDUALS. KIESLER'S ONLY DEALS WITH, ISSUES QUOTES TO, AND SELLS TO FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, INDIVIDUAL OFFICERS, RESERVE OFFICERS, AFFILIATED GOVERNMENT AGENCIES, US MILITARY, INDIVIDUAL MILITARY PERSONNEL, RETIRED MILITARY WITH RETIRED ID, RETIRED LAW ENFORCEMENT, LICENSED SECURITY OFFICERS, AFFILIATED TRAINING FACILITIES, FFL DEALERS, FIREFIGHTERS, EMS, PROSECUTORS, DISTRICT ATTORNEYS. DUE TO RESTRICTIONS, KIESLER'S DOES NOT QUOTE OR SELL WEAPONS, HIGH CAPACITY MAGAZINES, OR AMMUNITION TO CALIFORNIA, MASSACHUSETTS, NEW JERSEY, MARYLAND, NEW YORK CITY, OR NY STATE.

GLOCK 43 standard $358

GLOCK 43 W-N/S 385

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The going rate at many places in NW Indiana is $50, but some do charge $75. One local shop charges $50 unless you are buying from Bud's or CTD, and then they charge $75. :dunno:

After my dealings with Buds and their inability to get an address right, ship the correct product, or make things right. (Actually disabled my account and banned me from their site, once they realized they tried shipping a gun [The wrong gun at that] to a personal residence instead of a licensed FFL that I picked from their list) I can see exactly why they would charge more to deal with Buds. Luckily I've had fantastic experiences using Davidsons.

I've noticed a recent trend in FFLs jacking their transfer fees. It's no surprise when most brick and mortar shops don't want to stay stocked up on higher end stuff, or deal with distributors who keep a respectable stock... They can't do much to compete.

Last edited:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Last year I bought a Ruger LC9s online and had it transferred to Cabelas in Hammond. I was charged $35 for a transfer fee.
    Last week I ordered a Glock 43 from Grab a gun and picked it up at Cabelas yesterday. The transfer fee was $75! That's quite a
    jump.

Just thought I'd share.

Always good to check transfer fees before deciding where to send it.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Always good to check transfer fees before deciding where to send it.

That's true, but I didn't think it would go from $35 to $75 almost overnight. But it's still on me for not checking.
    I also thought that posting this thread would help other people looking for an FFL to transfer to.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    I think it was fair to assume that the fee would not increase by 114% in one year.

I don't blame them for a higher charge. They want you to buy from them not elsewhere and just pick it up there and let them help you while they could be selling a customer there. Prices change all the time and some much faster then others, I would not look at it as a % thing. A small bump of say $10 might not stop people but know at $75 how much more could you really be saving vs buying it there in the 1st place, which is what they want you to think and do. Some places have smaller fees for guns no longer in production but for current guns it is higher.

If you live in Dyer there is a guy I use on 77th right off 41. He charges $20 flat

wckd99GT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't blame them for a higher charge. They want you to buy from them not elsewhere and just pick it up there and let them help you while they could be selling a customer there. Prices change all the time and some much faster then others, I would not look at it as a % thing. A small bump of say $10 might not stop people but know at $75 how much more could you really be saving vs buying it there in the 1st place, which is what they want you to think and do. Some places have smaller fees for guns no longer in production but for current guns it is higher.

It's not like he bought a set of tires over the internet and took them to the local mom and pop to have them installed. He/we/they are dealing with the federal government here. We have to abide by the laws as they are written and don't get a whole lot of choices in where to complete a transaction with an FFL. I don't think that gives Cabela's the right to pour the coals to someone because he "didn't buy it here." I'm sure it didn't take more than 10 minutes of their time.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It's not like he bought a set of tires over the internet and took them to the local mom and pop to have them installed. He/we/they are dealing with the federal government here. We have to abide by the laws as they are written and don't get a whole lot of choices in where to complete a transaction with an FFL. I don't think that gives Cabela's the right to pour the coals to someone because he "didn't buy it here." I'm sure it didn't take more than 10 minutes of their time.

Then don't give cabela's your money. You can find FFL listings online pretty easily, people doing it out of their homes, and they'll most likely be happy for you to transfer a firearm through them. I certainly would be if I was an FFL holder working from home.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    A friend of mine spotted a deal at mc sports on a little heritage single action 22lr/22mag for i believe 129.00. So he goes to this god awful gun shop inside a auto parts store in Knox,IN. The owner tells him he can get him one for same price. My friend says ok and is good with buying local. So his gun comes in and ge goes to pick it up and gunshop owner charges him a fee for transfer and shipping. I told him he was buying new gun from dealer and there should be no transfer fees. He ended up with almost 200.00 for a 130.00 little gun. I told him that was bull$h!t but he paid it but it seems a lot of places dont like competition from gunbroker or private sales when transfer fees would seem to be almost pure profit but i guess if they make the transfer fees high enough people who get a good deal will not be much of a deal if they charge high transfer fees and people will end up buying from them in the end or at least that is what they hope.

Top Bottom