• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I've always shipped everything via UPS and it's really expensive and so doing a little research I found I can ship both long guns and handguns via the post office as long as I file a 1508 with the post master. Anyone ever done this? Is it just as easy as it sounds? Just get a copy of the recipients ffl or C&R, fill out the 1508, package them up nice and tight and dropped them off? From what I've read it never stated anything about them having to be next day shipped so can I just them priority with added insurance?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've had an FFL for 10 years and I wouldn't trust a firearm to UPS or Fedex. I've always shipped USPS and always will.

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    I've had an FFL for 10 years and I wouldn't trust a firearm to UPS or Fedex. I've always shipped USPS and always will.
    The fastest, best service I have ever had shipping a gun was with USPS. My one and only time shipping a gun via UPS, ended with the gun taking a week and half grand tour of the Western States, before finally getting found and turned around to the FFL that it was suppose to go to.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'm surprised at all the positive reviews of USPS. My one experience shipping a firearm with them was bad enough I will NEVER use them again.

Listed a single shot .22 Lee-Enfield trainer on armslist, and stated I was willing to ship. An FFL in New York hit me up and after all the necessary paperwork, I shipped it to him through USPS. I don't recall which "level" of shipping it was, but it was insured and required a signature for delivery. It was dropped off sans-signature, at the wrong house several blocks away from its intended recipient. By some fortunate miracle, the resident there was an acquaintance of the FFL holder, recognized the name on the box, and called the FFL holder, and asked him if he was expecting a gun in the mail.

Everything worked out in the end, but it could easily have turned out very badly, especially given New York's friendly view of guns...

I would be interested to hear why so many here would NOT choose UPS or Fedex?

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    I would be interested to hear why so many here would NOT choose UPS or Fedex?
    Their policy is "guns must be shipped next day air." It's a scam to get higher rates. The service is no better than USPS but the price is double, triple or more.

Personally, I like FedEx but it's way more expensive. UPS isn't too bad but it's hard to beat government subsidies when they're in your favor.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I forgot to mention that I do have a FFL

That's kind of an important point.

I've had USPS leave a handgun on my porch before. Other that that, no problems. I'd rather have things go UPS, I can easily hold it their at the warehouse and pick it up in the evening on my way home. And I can legally carry are handgun while doing it. FedEx is my nemesis for various reasons.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If you shipped a 5 lbs block of steel via United Parcel Smashers, if it got to he destination it would be 2 weeks late and be broken in 4 pieces.

We ship everything via United States Postal Service, almost 100 packages a year, and I can't remember the last time they lost one or destroyed one.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Since it looks like you've gotten your answer; story time. I was trying to receive a couple of pistols from out of state, and went to ask the post office in downtown Indy if that would be allowed. She told me you can't ship handguns, but long guns are OK because "it is you 2nd Amendment right to hunt".

Goes to show the overall lack of knowledge when it comes to 2A stuff. Sorry that story was very climatic, just thought I'd share.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I have shipped a few handguns Fedex ground insured without any problems. I'm not an FFL but of course I shipped to one.

They've had a policy of requiring air shipping for quite some time now. You can get away with shipping ground, as long as you don't tell them what's in the box, but they won't do ANYTHING for you if your gun is lost in transit as you violated their shipping rules.

tomylee0123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Lafayette
    If you must ship a handguns thru UPS, just dont mention that you are sending a gun unless being asked. I dont think it is against the law that you dont let UPS know if there is a gun inside the package, but I could be wrong.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    If you must ship a handguns thru UPS, just dont mention that you are sending a gun unless being asked. I dont think it is against the law that you dont let UPS know if there is a gun inside the package, but I could be wrong.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

You must notify the shipper that the package contains a firearm. Also, UPS and FedEx would deny any claims due to lost/stolen packages that contained firearms that were not shipped according to their tariff (regulations).

Top Bottom