• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm looking at sending my Beretta 92 into Wilson Combat. It's my understanding that I can ship it to them via FedEx or UPS without going through an FFL. Is my understanding correct? Any recommendations or tips on how to handle shipping a firearm?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    FYI, you can handle it cheaper if you have an FFL do it. The common carrier will ask for overnight shipping. The FFL can use the USPS.

Should be about $25-ish bucks for an FFL to ship. Call around and ask prices!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    UPS website has instructions specific to shipping a firearm. You have to take it to a UPS distribution center, can't take it to a UPS Store. Suppose to notify the clerk that the package contains a firearm. Must ship overnight air. I never found any specific instructions on the Fed Ex site but others have said their rules are the same.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    FedEx has the same restrictions as above (Must be taken to a Ship Center--can't take to a FedEx Office or put it in a drop box--must ship Priority Overnight service, must notify customer service agent that it is a firearm). To answer the OP's question: Yes, you're good to ship it with FedEx Express or UPS without going through an FFL so long as it's going TO an FFL holder (which Wilson Combat would most likely be).

mike4sigs

Master
    Rating - 94.4%
    34   2   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Southern Adams County
    You may want to check with Wilson they may have a cheaper rate agreement with a certain carrier I know Sig does . It was a good deal really I payed Sig upfront for shipping roundtrip and the electronically sent me a shipping label and I just handed it to the UPS driver , if I remember right what payed upfront for round trip was about what it was going to cost me for the trip to sig

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    All the advice I'm seeing is accurate, but I'd talk to Wilson and see what they recommend. They may be able to send you a prepaid shipping label at their preferred rate. Might save you a couple bucks.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Some are not aware of this, but you can walk the gun into a US Post office yourself, and ship it in a flat rate box, if you have the correct paperwork from a FFL to hand them (* recommend you pack the box before going in, though!). FFL will charge you their fee, fill out the orange form for you, and you take it to the Post Office and ship it for less than ten bucks probably, plus insurance of course.

Many would not look for this option because it involves a gubmint office and they think they are off limits (and it's posted that way). But gun shops ship this way all the time. I've walked in two myself this way, including a handgun, and it's the cheapest option.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I agree with all the above posts. I'm in the process of selling a handgun out-of-state. The FFL in the other state will accept a firearm from a non-FFL. The problem is that I have to ship it UPS, Next Day Air Saver (what a misleading name). UPS wants $88.45! I have no idea how they can justify that price. A local FFL said that they will ship it for me via USPS. They want twenty bucks on top of the postage. I told the buyer that that would be a little less than $60.00, but of course it will take several days to get there. I'm leaving it up to the buyer.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I agree with the other comments here related to getting a shipping label from Wilson Combat. I had to ship my Beretta 92 back to Beretta and they set me up with a shipper and label.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Some are not aware of this, but you can walk the gun into a US Post office yourself, and ship it in a flat rate box, if you have the correct paperwork from a FFL to hand them (* recommend you pack the box before going in, though!). FFL will charge you their fee, fill out the orange form for you, and you take it to the Post Office and ship it for less than ten bucks probably, plus insurance of course.

Many would not look for this option because it involves a gubmint office and they think they are off limits (and it's posted that way). But gun shops ship this way all the time. I've walked in two myself this way, including a handgun, and it's the cheapest option.
    That's not true for handguns. You may have gotten away with it but it's not legal.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I ended up going to my LGS. The transfer fee was $25 and $20 for shipping. Less expensive than overnighting via FedEx and less hassle.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I ended up going to my LGS. The transfer fee was $25 and $20 for shipping. Less expensive than overnighting via FedEx and less hassle.
    I'm doing the same thing, although the handgun I'm having them mail for me is very long, so the box has to be bigger and thus a higher cost.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    This looks interesting, but it is unclear how this works. Will it work for a shipment from a private party to an FFL in another state? Have you used this service? Can you elaborate on the process, if you've used it as a private individual?

I have not used it. I looked at the website and it appears you figure out what shipping box is required and pay Buds and print out the Shipping label. Then drop it off at the Carrier Hub.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Like others have said, either get a prepaid shipping label from the ffl you are Shipping too, or take it to your ffl to ship it. Shipping it on your own will cost a fortune. Also, I believe there are Shipping requirements like it has to be double boxed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Like others have said, either get a prepaid shipping label from the ffl you are Shipping too, or take it to your ffl to ship it. Shipping it on your own will cost a fortune. Also, I believe there are Shipping requirements like it has to be double boxed.
    I've never seen the double box requirement any place. I have seen it recommended to use a new corrugated cardboard box.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You can ship via Fedex office. You can not indicate on the label that it is a firearm. Just label it "Ruger, Colt, xxii and address. I would suggest original box inside a generic BOX and wrapper.
    '' IF'' they ask you must tell them. THEY MUST SHIP it.
    They will ask if you insure for a large amount.

YES contact the business you are shipping to. Several will send you a prepaid label (warranty work).

Top Bottom