• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I need to know the sharpening angle(s) for my tanto-bladed CRKT M16-13SF. I have two of these I need to sharpen, I have a Lansky sharpening system that I've used on my Kershaws that I plan to use. Any ideas?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I don't know about the CRKT knife you have in particular but I use a lansky sharpener and like a 15-degree primary bevel, and a 20-degree microbevel. I have reprofiled all of my pocketknives to these angles.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Deaner, could you explain how you use your system?

I suck at sharpening, have a lansky deluxe and cant get a good edge.

I have been using the 20 deg angle for my EDC knives and 25 deg for my larger fixed blades. My thinking that the 25 deg angle would take more abuse.

Why and how do you microbevel? Do you have the diamond set?

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have the diamond set and the standard set.

I reprofile because my knives just cut better and seems to hold an edge longer with a 15-degree primary bevel and a 20-degree microbevel.

A good knife steel like CPM-S30V has no problem with a large bevel, but with the same bevel cheap steels can chip and burr when subjected to hard use.

The purpose of a microbevel is to:
    1. Make the edge of the knife tougher, and
    2. Make resharpening easier and faster.

To start the reprofile, I use the extra course diamond stone and the lowest possible edge angle with the Lansky holder. I spend about 45-minutes grinding down each side. Then I smooth the edge using the course, medium, and fine diamond stones. Ignore the honing oil; it's not needed with diamond stones.

I put the diamond set away, then get to work on the microbevel. I start with the fine standard stone and take about 20-swipes on each side at 20-degrees. Then I get the yellow extra-fine stone and hit each side with about 120-strokes, alternating sides every 20. The knife is usually sharp now. I then strop the blade on an old belt.
    At this point, the knife should be quite a bit sharper than when it left the factory. To resharpen the knife, just follow the last step in the sharpening process... grab the extra fine stone and refresh the microbevel on each side.

It's a shame that most of the lansky sets don't include the yellow extra-fine stone. It really is necessary to get a fine edge. Also, the diamond set isn't very good for actual sharpening; I only use mine for reprofiling. It just doesn't produce a good edge.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I need to know the sharpening angle(s) for my tanto-bladed CRKT M16-13SF. I have two of these I need to sharpen, I have a Lansky sharpening system that I've used on my Kershaws that I plan to use. Any ideas?

If you don't want to reprofile the primary edge like m_deaner does (and I do), just stick with the existing angle that's already there. If you have a sharpening system that will only allow for certain angles, then pick the one that is closest to the existing bevel.

I do all of my sharpening by hand, though.

Blaze261

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    I have the knife and system, I use a 30 on the primary side and like 25 on the other. Slightly reground it to this, been carrying it for 3 years and sharpen it every 2-3 weeks. Carry everyday.

Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    Sharpening secret

After years of sharpening large shears and other implements of destruction for a local company, I have learned to just use a black magic marker on the cutting edge. Then just remove the ink with a sharpening stone. The ink trail is all you want to remove. This keeps the original bevel. If you want to alter the edge to something else set the Lansky to what ever makes you happy. Use a good oil.

Top Bottom