• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clickclickboom

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    How about a hardly used kitchenaid artisan stand mixed w/ meat grinder attachment for $60.

and my all time best for a whopping $1 because there was no tag, and the checkout lady had just knew it was a kitchen utensil. I knew it was a nice one, but had no idea the cost:

Bron Stainless Steel Mandolin
    [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Bron-Original-Stainless-Mandolin-Slicer/dp/B0001BMZ38/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1269923087&sr=8-10]Amazon.com: Bron Original Stainless Steel Mandolin Slicer: Home & Garden[/ame]

You'll find some goodies when you stop by once or twice a week. Hell, every piece of my furniture in the living room is from goodwill from the $200 pottery barn coffee table (refinished and stained, $40 invested) to the target return entertainment center and bookshelves. There is no way I would pay full price, but for $20-50 a piece it's all going 2 years strong.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I was doing my Comm. Service at goodwill back in 2001. I came across this Grey and Black hoody in the racks along with a pair of REALLY nice Tommy jeans. The jeans cost me $2 and the hoody $1. Save for a couple burn holes, the hoody has outlasted the jeans by 5 years and counting and in the colder months I wear that hoody almost every day like a jacket. It has to be the warmest, most comfortable piece of clothing I wear. Second only to my oversized flannel Tommy boxers... :D

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Great values and finds there. TTools and kitchen ware.

From Wikipedia
    IIRC?
    In the early years it was run by some guy who was a "Christian" business leader who later went on to lead a group of business men into believing that whatever their desires were messages from God and that they were called by God to make the big choices for the workers and consumers.

While I believe in the Lords hand in our lives I still remain skeptical enough to cross check my inspirations with my Christian values.

Thrift is great and I believe this past Goodwill history has been corrected since that leader.
    While my source info had a decided liberal and atheistic bend it was worth researching since theeir are always those willing to trade on faith for power and we must always be on the lookout for false prophets if we follow the Lambs path to salvation.

:twocents:

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Let's see, brand new 5.11 pants with tags, canning jars and equipment. Found a pair of desert camo Gortex rainpants, the type with the night desert gridon the other side. Arc'teryx jacket for the wife. EBtech anorak that store in pocket. In another re-sale shop I once got Italian made Vasque Sundowners for $6. There are a lot of deals out there, you just have to know what you're looking for. Heck, I buy most of my work clothes there, since they are trashed in a month or so.

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    PLEASE tell me you are kidding. PLEASE.

While used undergarments are bad, I found an American flag on the bottom shelf, wadded up in deplorable condition. I didn't really have the cash to buy the flag for $15, as well as purchase what I came to get, but I bought the flag instead.

When I got to the register, the clerk (a high school kid), charged me tax upon the purchase. I informed him that there was no sales tax upon the American flag, whereas he laughed and told me "that would be nice". I then informed him of the state law, prohibiting sales tax upon the flag.

Idiot kid called a liar to my face, and I asked for the manager. Ditto response from the manager, informing me that there was no such law and informing me that if I didn't want to pay the tax, I needn't purchase the flag. I paid the tax under protest, for the dignity of our country.

I went home, downloaded the statute, and came back to the store to speak with the manager. He told me that the statute didn't mean anything. I blew Goodwill in to the state dept. of revenue; apparently they didn't care either. My state rep., same thing. Even the local newspaper told me that my head butting was "not news".

I took the flag to the dry cleaners, and as I suspected, it was unsalvageable due to the staining. My neighbor and I folded it appropriately, and brought it to the American Legion to be disposed in the appropriate and respectable manner.

I haven't been back to Goodwill, bought that newspaper, nor voted for the incumbent state rep. ever again.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I scored again today.

I got a nice $100 Swiss Army brand rolling suitcase for $14.99. Just has a slight bit of wear.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I've never been in a Goodwill before...I've always left that store alone for people who truly need it.

(BTW, I'm very far from rich)
    it aint that way no more, their prices are pretty steep at times! Also buying there helps the poor because Goodwill employs a lot of special needs people with those sales!

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    goodwill

My wife and I collect Vintage glassware 1945-1970

Overtime i have found some great and rare pieces

Hazel Atlas "H.A."glassware, spent 30$ total worth 250$
    and
    1950-60's Pyrex and some Anchor Hocking-spent around 80$ total worth 500$+

"Melmac/"Melamine ` 1950's -70's Plasticware spent 40 total worth 150+$

My wife and i go every weekend to find more, sometimes we barter for other pieces, sometimes we sell them.
    also

Theres many "jewels" you can find at the goodwill,etc "You have to know what your looking for"

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Man, you all have found some neat stuff. I have not been to a Goodwill in years other than donating stuff. I am definetly going to stop in the retail part tommorrow if I have time.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have bought brand new w/tags Tommy Bahama aloha shirts for 4 bucks, same with many Hawaiian (as opposed to made in Cambodia, China, etc) aloha shirts, many of them vintage and 2 I found out were worth 4 figures. I found a very nice Uranium Glass Absinthe glass for 50 cents...value $150+. A new pair of Merrill's for 5 bucks. I also buy quite a few books a month from them.

I do donate clothing as well.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Have to bring this back, because I scored again!

COMPLETE 1970's Coleman Camp stove for $18.99, which just needed the right burner's orifice cleared. It will go great with the cast Iron Skillet my parents handed down.

dscn3460s.jpg

And earlier this year I found a 1970's Colman propane lantern at the Goodwill Outlet Store on Georgetown Rd. It cost me less than $2 and all it needed was a glass globe. (and of course gas and mantles)

dscn3463l.jpg

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I haunt the three Goodwill stores near me on the look out for cast iron cookware. Specifically American made pieces. I also wait until they have the half off sales, and the weekend specials from time to time. Most of the cookware I donate to Boy Scout troops, some I sell on eBay and Craigs, and a few I keep....we love cooking in cast iron. I have a 12 Qt bean pot I got for $3 last year...with the lid and the handle. It's gotta be worth $100.

Top Bottom