• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    There was talk of maybe a late spring expedition to copper harbor. Now that it is full blown summer I was wondering if there was still interest.

Thinking an early fall (maybe even seeming the fall colors) expedition.

Personally my plans were to go the the mitten at the tippy dam for a kayak run. Then taking off across the MAC bridge into UP. Then over and up past copper harbor the the very end of the world. Back down thru GAY Michigan stopping at the gay bar and onto the beaches. Then down into WISC and crossing the big lake on a ferry to luddington and back to central indiana.

All of these plans could be changed but was the first idea. Love me some lower north west Michigan also.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    My travel calendar is full for the year but I like the idea. I stole your itinerary and stuck it aside for future consideration.
    Thanks for the inspiration.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Heading up near Big Rapids Friday. Need to feed my deer and birds, shoot some raccoons. Mow the yard. Nice four day trip. May run over to Ludington for some ice cream.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Did you do the plane crash trail? I'm still interested in it at some point if it's Power Wagon friendly, size wise.
    I'm curious as well about the trail size and conditions. I've been to Copper Harbor in 2020 and looked at this trail on the OnX offroad app recently on a MI trip but didn't make it that far west in the UP. It's listed as a 3/10 which depending on trail conditions even a 2wd vehicle could make it.

Have a couple vehicles that might make it through depending on difficulty. I would think that a portion of the trail could be bypassed if it's too difficult or impassable, by backtracking and going around. The reports on OnX are only for the general overall 245 mi trail, not for individual sections.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102-185824.png
      Screenshot_20231102-185824.png
      678.8 KB · Views: 6

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm curious as well about the trail size and conditions. I've been to Copper Harbor in 2020 and looked at this trail on the OnX offroad app recently on a MI trip but didn't make it that far west in the UP. It's listed as a 3/10 which depending on trail conditions even a 2wd vehicle could make it.

Have a couple vehicles that might make it through depending on difficulty. I would think that a portion of the trail could be bypassed if it's too difficult or impassable, by backtracking and going around. The reports on OnX are only for the general overall 245 mi trail, not for individual sections.

I've looked in to it a lot online and some folks were saying the original routing was illegal for highway legal vehicles, as it traversed some OHV only trails. I'm so unfamiliar with the area I'm leery of accidentally trespassing or using illegal trails without some verification.

I would really like more places to play with my trail whale more locally, but I knew the limitations when I bought it.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    I've looked in to it a lot online and some folks were saying the original routing was illegal for highway legal vehicles, as it traversed some OHV only trails. I'm so unfamiliar with the area I'm leery of accidentally trespassing or using illegal trails without some verification.

I would really like more places to play with my trail whale more locally, but I knew the limitations when I bought it.
    If you saw it on this OnX app, most all of it is National Forest or Michigan DNR easement and the areas through private property are clearly shown. My experience off-grid in northern Michigan and the UP is that I rarely see anyone. People have been very friendly also.

I've got a couple trail whales also after selling my Jeep I used out West for a decade. Plenty of fun with more comfort and room to sleep. It's enjoyable to just get off grid.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231102-193818.png
      Screenshot_20231102-193818.png
      1.6 MB · Views: 5

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you saw it on this OnX app, most all of it is National Forest or Michigan DNR easement and the areas through private property are clearly shown. My experience off-grid in northern Michigan and the UP is that I rarely see anyone. People have been very friendly also.

I've got a couple trail whales also after selling my Jeep I used out West for a decade. Plenty of fun with more comfort and room to sleep. It's enjoyable to just get off grid.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I did not have enough time to do the seven hour trail. Heck I barely had time to wet a line for steelhead.

We took the rav 4 as it gets better gas mileage than the FJ and no premium fuel required.

Since the wife went she does not appreciate the camping part of overlanding so we just did some sightseeing and stayed in bed and breakfast style inn’s.

I did catch 2 smallmouth and a steelhead the small time I was available to get lines wet.
    Seems I missed the fall colors by a week and did not venture north enough for the steelhead run yet.

Grand haven was my wife favorite night. I will admit it was a nice little lakeside town

Top Bottom