• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive been looking for a high end 1911 or a custom built 1911. I was offered a Colt Government Model MKIV/Series 70 Stainless Steel with some work done to it. Has these Wilson Combat part installed: Match Barrel, Extractor, Ejector, Firing Pin, Firing Pin Spring, Sear Spring, Plunger Spring, Beaver Tail (high ride) #429SG, Main Spring Housing Pin. Also come with all the original colt parts if I wanted to change it back to all original. I dont know why the safety level is blued. The owner said it was that way when he bought the gun. All work was done prior to him owning the gun. What would a this gun be worth?

WislonColt1911SS_zps13581d00.jpg

Colt1911SSWilson_zpsbf50fe93.jpg

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Customized guns are a tricky, tricky beast. As a general rule, kind of like custom cars, I don't really think customization adds much to the base value of a gun, unless there's a clear pedigree of where the custom work came from (like, say, letters from Colt or Wilson detailing the work that was done). Without those, any Jim-Bob in his garage could have jury rigged the parts together.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Customized guns are a tricky, tricky beast. As a general rule, kind of like custom cars, I don't really think customization adds much to the base value of a gun, unless there's a clear pedigree of where the custom work came from (like, say, letters from Colt or Wilson detailing the work that was done). Without those, any Jim-Bob in his garage could have jury rigged the parts together.

Yea thats what im thinking too.

bigkahunasix

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Have him put all the Colt parts back on and offer $750 cash and he can keep the Wilson stuff and resell it himself.

Then have the pistol redone to your specs by a reputable smith.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yes, that isn't a "custom" gun, that's a Colt with some parts put on, and an idiot mark to boot. Not a bad pistol by any stretch, but I'd maybe go $650 - $700 prior to inspection.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yes, that isn't a "custom" gun, that's a Colt with some parts put on, and an idiot mark to boot. Not a bad pistol by any stretch, but I'd maybe go $650 - $700 prior to inspection.

Yep.

That beavertail is pretty hideous, and the Wilson stuff is all little cheap parts, and they may not even be the GOOD Wilson parts. Wilson does make a cheapo line of MIM stuff, and then they make the good stuff.

6-650 is where I'd put it.

Top Bottom