• ...and so much more!
  • 04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    1614251194003.png

I know it is a shi##y subject so someone here should have an idea. We have had a couple blockages to deal with and nothing I care to do often. The diagram is close to what I have except the inlet pipe is only about four inches from the first baffle. The first baffle on our tank is shorter with the top just above the bottom of the inlet pipe. When it happened last fall I dug up the access hatch and found toilet paper plugged up between the inlet pipe and the baffle. I thought I might have fixed it by grinding the top of the baffle smooth, very rough casting in that area.
    Not using toilet paper is not an option and my wife no longer tosses Kleenex or toilet paper she used to wipe off make-up so just the necessary stuff. If this happens again my idea is to cut back the inlet pipe so there is more space for the toilet paper to drop into the tank and not hang up. It is not the worst thing in the world, I bought a heavy duty snake and I can just pop the plug out of the cleanout by the house and have it cleared in a couple minutes. Any way that is what I have and my idea to deal with it, any suggestions will be welcome but unless it gets worse I am not going to deal with it until the weather is a lot better. Thanks, Jim.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    That is interesting and would probably be easier than cutting the pipe shorter. I am having a hard time understanding how this would work and did you have the same problem and solve it with this? As it is now when it plugs I can run the snake down the clean out by the house and it will pop out the plug of toilet paper. With the "T" at the end it looks like the snake will bang up against the end of the "T" and not push out the plug. Thanks, Jim.

Last edited:

Longhair

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    How long has it been since your tank was pumped?

If the inlet pipe is too close to the baffle it could cause a blockage, adding a T is creating a new baffle. The bottom part of the T should be submerged a few inches below the scum level. You my still need to cut a few inches from the inlet pipe to clear the old baffle and to center it in the access opening.

I install and repair systems and this method is approved by the Health Dept.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Never been pumped, new house and new septic, moved in 3-14-2020. The outfit we used to do the septic system is well known in the area and has done several in the area with no problems.
    I will have to cut the inlet pipe back some to get the "T" centered in the opening that is if memory serves me. I am now thinking maybe cut the pipe back to center the "T" but try it without putting on the "T." Then if there is still a problem I can still glue on the "T." Not that big of a deal for me to dig up the access with a shovel As I said I don't plan to do anything until the weather gets better in the spring, this is the second time so around six months each time, hopefully I will be good till then. Jim.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Somewhat on topic. . . . . do all septic tanks have that baffle? I don't remember seeing any when they installed our new tank a couple of years ago.
    Beats me, this is the first one I ever got into. Grew up with an outdoor s###house till I moved to town. So when we moved to Indiana last year was the first time I actually had one. Jim.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Beats me, this is the first one I ever got into. Grew up with an outdoor s###house till I moved to town. So when we moved to Indiana last year was the first time I actually had one. Jim.
    It sounds to me like the paper is just not reaching the end of the pipe? If so cutting it shorter may help it. The last section of pipe may be pitched incorrectly and it just doesn't have enough to carry it out of the pipe.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dad built the septic system our house had (just got forced to connect to city sewers last year) and it didn't have any kind of baffle like you're describing.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Never been pumped, new house and new septic, moved in 3-14-2020. The outfit we used to do the septic system is well known in the area and has done several in the area with no problems.
    I will have to cut the inlet pipe back some to get the "T" centered in the opening that is if memory serves me. I am now thinking maybe cut the pipe back to center the "T" but try it without putting on the "T." Then if there is still a problem I can still glue on the "T." Not that big of a deal for me to dig up the access with a shovel As I said I don't plan to do anything until the weather gets better in the spring, this is the second time so around six months each time, hopefully I will be good till then. Jim.
    Is there any kind of warranty with the builder? Sounds almost like it should be an issue that they should fix.
    It was standard to have a one year warranty form the builder on a new house. Not sure if that has changed, but that would be the first direction I would go.

If you have four inches of clearance between the end of pipe and baffle and you are still getting clogs, the problem is something other then what a T or cutting the pipe will fix. My money would go on the pipe going to the tank has too much pitch in it. It used to be a pitch of 1/4" per foot was the standard and last time I heard it was half of that. If there is too much pitch in the pipe, the water will run faster then the solids, leaving them behind in the pipe to cause a plug. If that is the case, it might not be the plumbers fault as the ground could have heaved, but it is not your fault either, and if it is under warranty, let them figure it out. My .02

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    House is still under warranty but this being a modular they do not do septic systems or wells. Like in one of my earlier posts I had a local contractor that was recommended do the septic system. In fact the county inspector knew his work and had no problems with his installations. Jim.

VostocK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    In the meantime maybe consider installing a bidet which will seriously cut down on the amount of paper your currently using. They are not too expensive for a nice one and they are not too hard to install. Just a thought.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    House is still under warranty but this being a modular they do not do septic systems or wells. Like in one of my earlier posts I had a local contractor that was recommended do the septic system. In fact the county inspector knew his work and had no problems with his installations. Jim.
    Yeah, but apparently there is some kind of a problem with the installation, as a one year old septic system should not have any issues unless the system was being severely abused.

The builder usually offers a warranty that covers everything. Modular home or stick built, the builder did not personally install the septic, the HVAC, the electrical, the drywall, etc. etc. Whether or not if there is a warranty, I would try to contact whoever installed the septic and let them know what is going on. Believe it or not, there are some contractors out there that want to see to it that that their work performs as it is supposed to. If you go and start modifying their work, that is more then enough reason for them to turn away from the issue and put the blame on you.

***Ironhead***

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Morgan county
    Yeah, but apparently there is some kind of a problem with the installation, as a one year old septic system should not have any issues unless the system was being severely abused.

The builder usually offers a warranty that covers everything. Modular home or stick built, the builder did not personally install the septic, the HVAC, the electrical, the drywall, etc. etc. Whether or not if there is a warranty, I would try to contact whoever installed the septic and let them know what is going on. Believe it or not, there are some contractors out there that want to see to it that that their work performs as it is supposed to. If you go and start modifying their work, that is more then enough reason for them to turn away from the issue and put the blame on you.
    Exactly! The only septic systems that do not work are the one installed incorrectly or the ones not used correctly.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    Speaking from my own experience, if the water level in your tank should happen to rise enough to cover your pipe, the toilet paper won't exit properly. It will gather at the end of the pipe and cause a blockage. Then the solids get caught in that as well and increase the blockage. This can happen if your septic field is completely saturated and/or not draining properly or your water usage is exceeding your drainage.

I have to keep reminding my wife to space out the usage of the washer so that she won't fill our septic up during wet weather. Our septic field is deeper than it should be and during wet weather it doesn't drain as quick as it should. Also, you should use one ply toilet paper. It dissolves quicker. And if you have water efficient toilets, you may not be sending enough water down the pipe to flush out the paper and the solids. Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom