• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    I purchased a Sig p938 at the last 1500. Had FTE issues from the beginning. Read that it needs a 250-300 round break in period. Did that and still had issues. Then, people said it didn't like 115 grain ammo...fine. Picked up some 124 and 147 grain ammo. Still had problems but it did like the 147 grain best. Then I started getting random light primer strikes with 3 different kinds of ammo. Checked the firing pin and it wasn't gunked up. Called Sig and explained everything and they emailed me an express label. He said 2-3 week turn around. Hopefully they can make it right.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Sucks that you got a lemon. I'm on Sig handgun number 7 or 8 now and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Hope they get it worked out for you!

Rob Watson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2012
    Can you let us know what you find out from Sig. I am getting ready to purchase the 938 nightmare but this has me second guessing. I have never bought a new series this soon after they came out but the 938 is a very nice looking gun.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Sucks that you got a lemon. I'm on Sig handgun number 7 or 8 now and I've never had an issue with any of them.

Hope they get it worked out for you!

Haha, hey Ryan fancy seeing you here.

I've owned 7 Sigs, all made Glock's "perfection" seem like a joke to me - I've had two of my five Glocks have some form of failure - as light as an FTF and as extreme as a discharge into the floorboard of my envoy while driving my family to the Indianapolis Zoo :xmad:

Sig > Glock in my book. Maybe not in all models, but my G19's and G23's I've owned are nothing compared to the P229/P226/SP2022/1911's I've had by Sig.

Oops. I wasn't trying to make it a hijack. I just simply don't trust Glocks anymore :n00b:

will56

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    indianapolis
    i had the same light primer strike problem with my 290. sent it back to sig and they fixed the problem. just sucks you have to send a new gun back. i sold it and bought a 238 and haven't had a single problem with it.

heffe3434

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    NE Indianapolis
    OP---- How often were you getting FTE's? I have a new P938 and have had a couple but I chalked it up to cheap ammo. I have found that mine likes federal better than WWB and Aquilla

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    It seems the past few years Sig has been plauged with quality control issues, it's to the point that before buying guns now I go to google, and do a search such as this: Problems with (insert gun here). You would be surprised at how many new guns have issues.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hopefully they can make it right.

Sorry to hear about your Sig. I own 7 Sigs and will never buy another. I bought a new P290 when they first came out and over 50% of the rounds wouldn't fire. There were light or non-existent primer strikes, but every one of those rounds would fire and any of my other 9mm weapons. I called Sig and sent it back. I got it back a couple weeks later saying there was nothing wrong. I took it to the range and it was still failing to fire over 50% of the time with different ammo. I called Sig again and their rep said I must be "limp wristing" the pistol. I explained that I have a S&W 500, a Desert Eagle in .50 AE and (2) S&W .460s. I know how to hold a weapon and all of the light strikes would fire in any of my other 9mms. I sent it back again and 3 weeks later it came back saying it was fixed, but no explanation of what they did.

Went to the range again with 4 different brands of ammo and had the same failures. The 147 grain PDX1 ammo had the least failures, but still not acceptable. I called Sig again and they said they would replace the weapon. They sent me a new P290. I don't know what they changed but now I only had about 25% failures to fire. I would never carry this POS and I won't sell it to anyone else.

Now Sig has released the new and improved P290 Restrike. That means when it fails to fire, you can just keep pulling the trigger and let the firing pin hit the round 6 or 7 times before you rack the slide and try another round. I will never buy another Sig. Their customer service sucks and they try to blame the owner or ammunition instead of admitting they have a problem.

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    OP---- How often were you getting FTE's? I have a new P938 and have had a couple but I chalked it up to cheap ammo. I have found that mine likes federal better than WWB and Aquilla

I shot:
    Federal American eagle 124 grain
    WWB 115
    Federal 115
    Sellier & Bellot 115
    Remington UMC 124
    PMC blazer 115
    Magtech 115
    Speer lawman 147

Failures with all at some point. The Speer did best.

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    Got my Sig back today.
    Comments say...
    Inspected pistol, replaced extractor, replaced grip screws. Fired 30 rounds with zero malfunctions.

Gunsmith sent the box tops and brass of each of the ammo shot. Winchester ranger 147 grain, blazer 124 grain, rws 85 grain frangible ammo. No mention of the light primer strikes. Havent shot it yet, but the new extractor definitely sends my snap caps flying. Also the trigger feels lighter too. I will shoot it this weekend. Hopefully with good results.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Tagged for range report.

Ive been thinking about trying out a 938, Ive read mixed reviews so far. It seems if you get a good one its great! but if you get a bad one its back to Sig for warranty. Seems more good reviews than bad ones though. I hope Sig got yours fixed up.

hopcam

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I bought a 938 a month and a half ago. Still unfired due to the MCF&G berm replacement. Just really hoping mine is a "good one".

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I just bought the wife a 938 extreme, while loading the 7 round mag, it WOULD not take #7. Removed follower, looked in mag body, nothing out of the ordinary, reinstalled follower, now takes all 7 rounds:dunno::dunno:
    Will shoot it this weekend, and am watching this thread like a hawk.
    Nearly $700 bucks should buy a gun that WORKS all the time....:xmad:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your Sig. I own 7 Sigs and will never buy another. I bought a new P290 when they first came out and over 50% of the rounds wouldn't fire. There were light or non-existent primer strikes, but every one of those rounds would fire and any of my other 9mm weapons. I called Sig and sent it back. I got it back a couple weeks later saying there was nothing wrong. I took it to the range and it was still failing to fire over 50% of the time with different ammo. I called Sig again and their rep said I must be "limp wristing" the pistol. I explained that I have a S&W 500, a Desert Eagle in .50 AE and (2) S&W .460s. I know how to hold a weapon and all of the light strikes would fire in any of my other 9mms. I sent it back again and 3 weeks later it came back saying it was fixed, but no explanation of what they did.

Went to the range again with 4 different brands of ammo and had the same failures. The 147 grain PDX1 ammo had the least failures, but still not acceptable. I called Sig again and they said they would replace the weapon. They sent me a new P290. I don't know what they changed but now I only had about 25% failures to fire. I would never carry this POS and I won't sell it to anyone else.

Now Sig has released the new and improved P290 Restrike. That means when it fails to fire, you can just keep pulling the trigger and let the firing pin hit the round 6 or 7 times before you rack the slide and try another round. I will never buy another Sig. Their customer service sucks and they try to blame the owner or ammunition instead of admitting they have a problem.

Hmmmm.......interest'n,hahaha :):......been wonder'n about these.....me'be I'll keep carry'n the Mustang after all......:cool:

code_red

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    East Side Indy
    Went to ITP today. I shot 50 rounds of federal 115 and 50 rounds of Speer lawman 115. I had one failure to feed with the speer on the last round of the 7rnd magazine. Other than that I had no issues with extracting or light primer strikes. Before I could barely get through a mag with 115 grain. Happy with the results.

IMAG0155-1.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Made the mistake of taking one of my 1911's to a gunsmith I have not used on word of mouth merit. Gun went in for trigger work and suffered FTE after I got it back. Took it back an they test fired it. Said I must be limp wristing it.
    Limp wrist my A$$. Took it home and decided to do most all of my own work. Fixed it. They suck.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I've heard reports about Sig going down the toilet on CS and quality, that they are basically just riding the coat tails of their name now and not making quality products anymore. The only Sig I have ever had was a P226 and it was a friggin tank, NO quality issues whatsoever with it but it was older, as much as I like the 938 I'm staying away after hearing all these horror stories about them.

Top Bottom