• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Wow, they don't even pretend that it's about anything other than protecting Monsanto:

But opponents of the measure argued that GMOs should not be labeled, since the FDA has not made scientific conclusions that would require it. Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-Mich.), chair of the Agriculture Committee, said the amendment that was shot down was not relevant to the farm bill. She also emphasized the importance of Monsanto in providing foods at lower prices that help feed people around the world – an argument often made by supporters of the biotech giant.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Monsanto's website makes it pretty clear why this did not pass.

http://www.monsanto.com/whoweare/Pages/political-disclosures.aspx

Monsanto is committed to participating constructively in the political process, as such participation is essential to the Company's long-term success. Federal trade, environmental, tax and patent laws and regulations directly affect Monsanto. As a company committed to bringing new, valuable technologies to farmers and to creating value for share owners, it is essential that Monsanto be involved in the political process to educate policy makers regarding our industry's issues.

Monsanto's participation in the political process includes contributions to political candidates in a manner that is compliant with all applicable laws and reporting requirements. Federal law prohibits corporations from making direct or indirect contributions to candidates or political parties at the federal level. The Company's political contributions at the state level are limited to those states where such contributions are permitted. Such contributions are based on advancing the best interests of Monsanto and its shareowners.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I guess its easy to participate in the political process when your company has a revolving door with the FDA. Makes me sick

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    why not let the free market sort it out? you could use your gold coins and rupees on products that are marked GMO

That would be ideal, in my opinion.

Unfortunately, it isn't a free market. Monsanto uses their government cronies to suppress the ability of other companies to even label their products non-GMO. And that is only one example of Monsanto's practices that are anti-free market.

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011

Unfortunately, it isn't a free market. Monsanto uses their government cronies to suppress the ability of other companies to even label their products non-GMO. And that is only one example of Monsanto's practices that are anti-free market.

I am torn on whether I want GMO products labeled. I do not support government intervention into the free market and that is what labeling would be. However, in this situation, non-Monsanto companies are not permitted to use the free market and use labeling to show that they are non-GMO. For this reason, I would support GMO labeling so long as the non-GMO companies are not permitted to use the free market.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I am torn on whether I want GMO products labeled. I do not support government intervention into the free market and that is what labeling would be. However, in this situation, non-Monsanto companies are not permitted to use the free market and use labeling to show that they are non-GMO. For this reason, I would support GMO labeling so long as the non-GMO companies are not permitted to use the free market.

I didnt know this.... i actually bought a bag of black bean tortilla chips over the weekend, and there is a "non GMO" lable on the back.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I didnt know this.... i actually bought a bag of black bean tortilla chips over the weekend, and there is a "non GMO" lable on the back.

It still happens, but the FDA is making it more and more difficult.

FDA rules won't require labeling of genetically modified salmon

Perhaps more surprising, conventional food makers say the FDA has made it difficult for them to boast that their products do not contain genetically modified ingredients.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

This is pretty much how I feel. I'd rather the FDA didn't exist, in addition to the other government agencies that monsanto uses to ensure their monopoly. Without them, there could be some competition and a lot more choices for consumers.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

well in the free market, if enough people were upset by this then wouldn't that cause them to change their business practice?

Top Bottom