• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug28450

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Hobart
    Our client is in the process of building a loading/unloading dock for dry goods type semi trailers. I believe these types of trailers generally range for 40' to 53'. The client has an asphalt parking lot and wants to place a concrete pad where the legs are so they don't sink into the asphalt. I need some help knowing how far the legs are from the back of the trailer. Knowing that distance will allow me to lay out a concrete slab at the correct distance from the loading dock and make sure it's wide enough to catch the range of leg positions.

Thanks

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don’t know your answer but if google didn’t turn up the answer I’d head over to some dock somewhere where a trailer is parked and measure them.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    On a 53' trailer, it would be 40' from the dock.
    Not considering rubber bumpers.

Not knowing if that is an industry standard or if their are oddball trailers out there, container chassis might be different, etc.

Just all the 53' trailers I work around have them at 40'.

Good luck.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Not sure there is any standard, probably depends on type of trailer, load capacity and load placement where the landing pads are.

I'd probably make 10' x 2' concrete strips to accommodate a number of possibilities. Or maybe just a 10'x10' pad.

As close as I could find by googling:
    1700505065787.png

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I'd be surprised to learn the trailers would be docked for any length of time...
    Generally speaking they're loaded/unloaded with a rig attached as the dock/doors are prime real estate.

While the load will be spread by multiple axles, I'd bet he'll still see asphalt deformation like ruts in front of each door as the trucks enter & exit, unless they're light loads or fully concreted.

Top Bottom