• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Does anyone use granulated or rubber wrap-on grips for their semi-auto pistols? If so, what kind (brand) do you like best and why?
    I have a S&W Shield with a Talon rubber grip, that is applied very nicely, and feels comfortable in the grip. I have 2 more I want to wrap.
    Don't know if people preferred one brand over another, had better success with one brand over another (stays on better), etc.
    Just checking for opinions and/or any recommendations in case there's something better out there I don't know about?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    13F49081-9DD2-4239-9289-E8609271198B.jpeg
    I have the springer precision grit on my competition gun, they have the right amount of grab for that. They seem durable, but I know I’ll have to replace them someday, but they weren’t expensive (10 bucks), but they are starting to chew up my idpa vest.

So if I ever change them, I’ll try the rubber grips

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have the springer precision grit on my competition gun, they have the right amount of grab for that. They seem durable, but I know I’ll have to replace them someday, but they weren’t expensive (10 bucks), but they are starting to chew up my idpa vest.

So if I ever change them, I’ll try the rubber grips
    They look really nice but, as you stated, having a granular grip would probably create an issue because in the summer months, I sometimes carry OWB with a shirt over the top and the pistol grip would be rubbing against my skin.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I use Hogue fingergroove rubber grips on most of my "shooting" handguns. (1911, 92, revolvers) They are not pretty, but they always get my fingers in the right position without me thinking about it and they are durable. They also are priced very reasonably. I do think there is an advantage if all of a persons 1911's feel the same in the hand.

For the "Looking at" handguns, The grips can be a lot more like art, even if they don't work as well.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I use Hogue fingergroove rubber grips on most of my "shooting" handguns. (1911, 92, revolvers) They are not pretty, but they always get my fingers in the right position without me thinking about it and they are durable. They also are priced very reasonably. I do think there is an advantage if all of a persons 1911's feel the same in the hand.

For the "Looking at" handguns, The grips can be a lot more like art, even if they don't work as well.
    I've tried the Hogue rubber finger-grove grips and, with my smaller sized hands, they don't always work as well for me, unless it's on a very small frame pistol such as a Glock 43 or something along that smaller size grip.

I've done some hand stippling in the past, which always seems to work really well, but am just curious as to whether there's a sticky grip out there that will work as well without spending the couple of hours necessary to hand stipple a grip.

DuP4SuP.jpg

bAVh9xk.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Leo

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I ended up just applying a light tree bark stipple...it took about 3 hours but it came out fairly decent looking.
    The stippling really enhances the 'bond' between the grip and the hand, greatly increasing platform stability.
    AGbgrZ3.jpg

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have some of the Talon Pro models on a pistol or two. I really like them. They aren't rubbery like the rubber grips and they don't feel like 80grit sandpaper like the granulate models. They fit right between.

Though I liked the factory feel of my 2.0 Shield, but when I bought the Shield Plus, I decided to add them. I really like them.

Top Bottom