Semi-Annual Hiking Boot recommendation thread!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Currently have a pair of Teva hiking boots. This is my 2nd consecutive pair of Teva boots and I'm 100% thrilled at how both pairs have held up over their lives. Current pair is still going strong - but the tread is definitely smoothing out under the balls of my feet. (heh - my feet have balls).

That said, due to my fantastic luck with Teva, I'm definitely looking at them as my next.

BUT - I'm also inundated with other choices. Keen, Merrill, Oboz, Vasque, Danner, Lowa, Salomon, etc etc.

What I'm after: day-hikers, mid-height, water proof, $160 MAX (which basically leaves out Vasque, Danner, and Lowa unless there are amazing sales).

What other brands are there I should look at?

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Currently have a pair of Teva hiking boots. This is my 2nd consecutive pair of Teva boots and I'm 100% thrilled at how both pairs have held up over their lives. Current pair is still going strong - but the tread is definitely smoothing out under the balls of my feet. (heh - my feet have balls).

That said, due to my fantastic luck with Teva, I'm definitely looking at them as my next.

BUT - I'm also inundated with other choices. Keen, Merrill, Oboz, Vasque, Danner, Lowa, Salomon, etc etc.

What I'm after: day-hikers, mid-height, water proof, $160 MAX (which basically leaves out Vasque, Danner, and Lowa unless there are amazing sales).

What other brands are there I should look at?
    Watching this since I think I’m responsible for one of the semi annual posts. And STILL looking

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    If this question had been asked 3 years ago, I would have said Salomon (Quest 4D GTX at about $240),......but the quality of Salomon has definitely declined and I am no longer a fanboy. At the moment, I'm going to respond spend a little more and get a pair of Lowa Scarpa.

Dirty Steve

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Curious about your reasons for wanting waterproof. Other than the obvious.

I have waterproof mid/low hikers and they are fine in cool weather where I won't step too deep into water. But in warmer weather they get too hot and if I get in deep water, I get water seeping in around the top and then they take a long time to dry out. I used to wear them during my Boundary Water trips, but figured out that in that scenario water shoes or sandals are the best.

For day hikers, I wear a lightweight pair of boots with drain holes in them. I slop through whatever, the water drains out quickly and when I'm done for the day, they dry fairly fast.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I've been using Oboz Bridgers for backpacking. Fit my feet well, comfortable all day with a 25# pack, durable. More important than brand is what fits your feet and a qualified salesman to help you. My wife has been struggling to find her Cinderella boot. We may have had success with the Altra boots she got last weekend.

She spent an hour at J.L. Waters in Bloomington trying on multiple pairs. She also had a good experience in Indy at Rusted Moon. REI salesman sucked but they have a very liberal return policy.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm a Keen guy purely because of the comfort factor. They are very easy to wear all day and I rarely think about my feet hurting. I am more of an every day boot wearer and only do light hiking so the considerations may be different.

I also am only moderately satisfied with the build quality. The last few pairs have held up ok for how much I wear them, but the do get worn out faster than I'd like. (What doesn't these days?) I'm sure there are brands with better construction, but I haven't found anything more comfortable.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I have multiple pairs of Danner for everyday wear from their Jag line. They are comfortable and hold up great for me. Although they are a “hiking” style boot, if I were to do a lot of trail hiking, I would want something else. The Mountain 600 would be my choice for actual hiking if I were looking at Danner.

Other great options would be Timberland or Keen in your price point range. I have had good luck with both. Both light, vibram sole (which my feet love), and reliably water proof.

Crispi makes a really nice boot if you want to go up in price. To me the difference in going up in price vs the other boots I have mentioned would be durability/longevity of the boot.

For the current price, this is a pretty nice boot. Light and very comfortable.

I have had good luck with Sheplers. Large selection and will run decent sales if you watch.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I used to be a teva fanboy. I don't know how many pairs of their sandals I've owned. I had a pair break on me while doing a portage on the Isle Royale Nation Park in Michigan. I thought it was a fluke and wrote it off. Years later, I took a pair to Denali and when I got home they failed. Miracle it didn't happen up there. Bottom line, Teva's are a no-go for me, and I only buy Chaco now. I have zero regrets in that switch.

I wear a 13 wide and my go to boots for lots of dry weather miles are Danner Fullbore 4.5". Those boots don't have a gore-tex liner and I love that because my feet don't sweat nearly as much and I end up with fewer blisters. I'm on my second pair of these and have used them on trails and at rucking events.

When the weather is a little bit wet, I wear the Danner Mountain 600 to keep my feet a bit drier. Basically a leather version of the fullbore with the 4.5" height.

I've been experimenting with the trailrunner types of shoes lately and I've had some good luck with the Danner Trailcomber. They allow my feet to breath like the Fullbores but are half the weight. So far, I'm digging my little hipster trail shoes.

What makes me buy Danner's is because they make a wide shoe and my feet need that, plenty of other great brands out there too, but I've never been disappointed with any of the Danner's I've bought.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wear a 13 wide and my go to boots for lots of dry weather miles are Danner Fullbore 4.5". Those boots don't have a gore-tex liner and I love that because my feet don't sweat nearly as much and I end up with fewer blisters. I'm on my second pair of these and have used them on trails and at rucking events.
    I considered doing some rucking events. Even bought a pair of Gorucks which are the most comfortable "hiking" boots I have ever owned.

But I got interested about the time of Covid and I wasn't going to attempt one wearing a mask.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I considered doing some rucking events. Even bought a pair of Gorucks which are the most comfortable "hiking" boots I have ever owned.

But I got interested about the time of Covid and I wasn't going to attempt one wearing a mask.
    I too own a pair of the goruck boots…. I was immediately disappointed in the insoles and then I grew disappointed in the lack of ankle support when trying to carry a heavy pack.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

My rucking events are the Mammoth Sniper Challenge at Ft Gordon Georgia. I've been to it twice, and would have been there this year for a third time but at the last minute didn't work out.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I currently have a pair of vasque about 3-4 years old that keep my feet dry( would def purchase again). They are mid and I have been in water too just under the top of them. I have had solomon & merrill. The merrill def did not keep my feet dry (dew covered grass). the solomon seemed to be ok , until they opened up and fell apart. I did have a pair of high leather irish setters that I loved, but didn't take good enough care of to make them last. The new boots that have with no strings look interesting, but not sure how long that wire and crank mechanism will last. I do wear wool socks all year long with the boots.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I was immediately disappointed in the insoles...
    Most insoles suck. I have been using Superfeet insoles and they do make a difference but do need replaced from time to time. My orange Superfeet were a year old, last weekend I replaced them with green Superfeet Trailblazers and noticed the difference just walking around the store. Insoles are a wear item just like oil in your car and I got plenty of mileage and footsteps from my prior pair.

Just like replacing crappy stock insoles the first thing I do with a new tent is replace the crappy stock tent stakes with MSR Groundhog stakes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I too own a pair of the goruck boots…. I was immediately disappointed in the insoles and then I grew disappointed in the lack of ankle support when trying to carry a heavy pack.
    Yeah, I consider them "light" hikers for sure. I have a pair of "backpacking" hiking boots if I am carrying a heavy load over distance.

And I replaced the insoles right away. Had them before I got the boots so other than trying them on and wearing them around the house for a bit, I have no experience with the insoles that came in the boots.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Most insoles suck. I have been using Superfeet insoles and they do make a difference but do need replaced from time to time. My orange Superfeet were a year old, last weekend I replaced them with green Superfeet Trailblazers and noticed the difference just walking around the store. Insoles are a wear item just like oil in your car and I got plenty of mileage and footsteps from my prior pair.

Just like replacing crappy stock insoles the first thing I do with a new tent is replace the crappy stock tent stakes with MSR Groundhog stakes.
    I have the green's in my Goruck boots.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I have the green's in my Goruck boots.
    I think the greenish Trailblazers are a recent addition to the Superfeet line and look forward to some testing this weekend. I also tried their Adapt Hike Max in the store and found that my heel kind of rolled around on the extra heel padding (think standing on a golf ball). Try them both at a good shop and see what works best for your feet/boot combo.

Superfeet.jpg

Top Bottom