• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Nope…No can do….My ID shows me as an out of State resident.
    I have to abide by Federal Law to sell “I should say *transfer* “ if transfer is considered selling” over State Lines.
    But this thread initially was about “in state selling/transfers” between in state residents.

Was a “Hoosier” at one time up until 1978…..crossed the border west for employment and settled there.
    Dude, this is INGO, INDIANA gun owners.

If you're the odd duck out, you should realize it and know that posts here are for folks in Indiana...

XDdreams

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ok, so I sold a gun here to an INGO'er. We met and he didn't look out of the ordinary. Average guy, younger than me but not any red flags. A year or so later I get word that the ATF called the LGS to do a trace on that particular gun I sold. It had been used in a crime. It was traced back to me as the last owner. ATF has never visited me over that. This has been over a year ago that I knew the ATF inquired about the pistol
    How can they come after you when they've sold guns to the mexican cartels through fast and furious/project gunrunner (and other similar programs that aren’t public knowledge)? Oh wait, double standards are fun aren't they?

You didn't knowingly or purposefully sell to a criminal, and they purposefully sold them to criminals. I see a clear difference in your actions.

The gun you sold to this fellow also have been resold/traded/stolen?

Last edited:

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm not ignorant of the law. I've studied the relevant code.

I've never knowingly or intentionally sold/transferred by any means a firearm to a prohibited person or to a person that I knew intended to use the firearm in the commission a crime.

The law is pretty straight forward in my book. Feel free to look up the code for yourself if you don't believe me. As a matter of fact, I would encourage anyone to do so. IANAL.

The burden is not on me to prove that I didn't. The burden is on the authorities to come up with proof that would stand up in a court of law that I did. I don't lie awake at night worrying about whether I sold/transferred a firearm to a prohibited individual. Prove that I did.

Last edited:

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana
    Ok, so I sold a gun here to an INGO'er. We met and he didn't look out of the ordinary. Average guy, younger than me but not any red flags. A year or so later I get word that the ATF called the LGS to do a trace on that particular gun I sold. It had been used in a crime. It was traced back to me as the last owner. ATF has never visited me over that. This has been over a year ago that I knew the ATF inquired about the pistol
    thanks for posting this. that is the exact scenario i was wondering about.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Surprised that no one has mentioned that a sale through INGO classifieds leaves an electronic trail; the ad, the messages between buyer and seller, and feedback on the sale if submitted. (I'm assuming that INGO doesn't delete old data)
    Not necessarily legal proof but probably strong enough to convince authorities that you actually sold the gun.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Owned by a Texan. I don't think we exclude folks based on residence.
    I don't recall saying that... read my back and forth with him.... the onus should be on someone not IN INDIANA to realize most of the discussion here (and even in the OPs post) is referring to IN INDIANA...

My case in point...

5fa52c8fc79a5a1b4b08374ed238617e.jpg

Last edited:

Jarvitron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I moved here from a state that mandated ffl transfer for private sale and while it was moderately inconvenient it did put to rest any concerns about if the person you were selling to was “proper”. That being said it did make gifting firearms even to family members over 18 into a “trip to the DMV” type annoyance and they instantly tried to adopt the WA magazine capacity and AWB so I am fully cognizant of the “slippery slope” argument when it comes to mandating government involvement in a private transaction.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Can't accept an out of state library card.
    What if I have my school ID card too?

Note: Picture on school ID may not match current look. I was 100 pounds lighter, had no facial hair, had lot more hair on my head, and my hair was not grey. But I have an honest face so you can take my word!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Note: Picture on school ID may not match current look. I was 100 pounds lighter, had no facial hair, had lot more hair on my head, and my hair was not grey. But I have an honest face so you can take my word!
    I look exactly like my avatar pic now as I did when it was taken.

bowhunter911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    La Crosse Indiana

my school, ID had a smoking pass on the back. im sure thats not even a thing any more.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    my school, ID had a smoking pass on the back. im sure thats not even a thing any more.
    Well I grew up in La Crosse WI. Early to mid 80's the smokers would run out between classes and step into the road so they were off school property to smoke. Did my senior year at Pike Central here in IN and they threatened to break windows to remove a pack of cigarettes if they saw them in a student's vehicle.

Now I have fond memories of watching the smokers run out without a jacket when it was 0 degrees out to grab a quick smoke. That was up in WI where they could afford to put windows in schools. Pike County built their middle/high school with no windows in the classrooms.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You do have to notify the state that you are at a new address but they don't send out an updated card unless you pay for it. The mis-matched addresses doesn't prove anything. But, your sale, your rules.
    This ^

I moved about 10 years ago.
    I talked to a state trooper he said exactly what Marvin said. He did add that if I'm in a different state and my LTCH showed a different address than my DL local police might find that odd.
    He gave that as a heads-up so to speak.
    I went ahead and had them issue me a new card with my new address. I do travel out of state often so the less problems the better if out of state.

Rebel Jack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 16, 2016
    North Liberty
    I'm not ignorant of the law. I've studied the relevant code.

I've never knowingly or intentionally sold/transferred by any means a firearm to a prohibited person or to a person that I knew intended to use the firearm in the commission a crime.

The law is pretty straight forward in my book. Feel free to look up the code for yourself if you don't believe me. As a matter of fact, I would encourage anyone to do so. IANAL.

The burden is not on me to prove that I didn't. The burden is on the authorities to come up with proof that would stand up in a court of law that I did. I don't lie awake at night worrying about whether I sold/transferred a firearm to a prohibited individual. Prove that I did.
    Honestly, we can quibble and argue the finer points of law and “innocent until proven guilty” until the cows come home, but the letter of the law doesn’t really apply anymore, does it?

I mean, you’re not wrong, but these past few years have shown us just because you’re technically between the lines, doesn’t mean they won’t come after you, hammer and anvil.
    Particularly concerning things such as Firearms.

Top Bottom