• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    I am located in Indy and wanted to sell a few guns. I was just wondering which store would offer a fair price for the guns. Are the chains better or worse than local shops? I would consider selling in person but I have never done that before. I would think GM or Cabalas would offer fair deals but figured I would ask here first before dragging the guns to a bunch of different places.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    Most small gun stores will pay you around 50% of the gun's value. I was told by a Cabela's employee that they pay around 2/3 of the value. If I were you I would take them to the gun show, the Indy 1500, next weekend and try to sell them there, or maybe even trade them

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Most small gun stores will pay you around 50% of the gun's value. I was told by a Cabela's employee that they lay around 2/3 of the value. If I were you I would take them to the gun show, the Indy 1500, next weekend and try to sell them there, or maybe even trade them

I have to agree with this. Unless you just absolutely need cash right now, I would sell them one at a time and try to get the most out of them I could. This is what I did with my Dad's guns, he passed almost a year ago, and I'm still selling off some of his stuff, but I don't have an urgent need for cash either.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yup. If you truly hate or are afraid of the idea of selling face-to-face, then sell to a store, but expect about 50% value. If you are willing to consider selling directly, then ask and we'll be happy to offer plenty of advice.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    ^^^^What they all said......Any Gun store is going to hose you, but for a reason. It's cash tied up into inventory for days/weeks/months and they have to have a decent profit to make it worthwile.

You will get 50% value at a store vs. 90-95% value in a FTF private sale.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    I understand why stores would not offer much. I just wasn't sure what private buyers were willing to pay. I also don't want to sell to the wrong people. I suppose I can ask if they have a carry permit and ID.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    To answer your question, Plainfield Shooting Supply has offered me fair trades in the past. Much better offers (like 3 x) on the same exact gun that I also took to another area shop that is held in very high regard here as well. Most of the times I have traded, I was trading on another gun and PSS also had the best price on the gun I was after. When trading, you also get the benefit of not paying sales tax on the amount of your trade in. On at least one occasion I was trading something of higher value than what I was after and Bob did the deal and cut me a check for the remainder. I don't know what his offers would be like on a straight up sell, assuming he does that.

I have done much better than 50% value that others are stating here, but again that was on a trade, which affords them some capability to do that as he is making $ on both ends of the transaction (but again, PSS had the best prices on what I was trading for as well). By the time that the sales tax was considered for the portion that was covered by my trade, i did as well as I would have done here on INGO selling on more than one occasion.

Of course, it will depend on what you are trading/selling and how easily the shop can turn it, etc.

If you are looking to trade or sell a gun and are interested in taking it directly to a shop to sell (as opposed to consignment), take it in to PSS first and see what Bob will give you for it.

Selling on INGO is fairly easy as well, and I have had great experiences with that as well. Just be to the point and cover what you are willing and not willing to do in your ad, when you place it.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I understand why stores would not offer much. I just wasn't sure what private buyers were willing to pay. I also don't want to sell to the wrong people. I suppose I can ask if they have a carry permit and ID.

Those are very good ways to cover your bases (especially ID as it covers residency), as is selling to established folks on INGO. You could always offer to do the transaction at an FFL that will run the background check on the purchaser (there are some represented on INGO, such as USDS and others that have very low transfer fees), but realize that for some buyers that is a no go for them on a private transaction. Not because they have any issue with being a proper person, but because it is an added and step that is not required on a private transaction.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're not in a hurry, there are other options. Lately I've been taking my unwanted guns to Beech Grove Firearms and consigning them.

You tell them how much you want them to sell the gun for, and if they agree, they take the gun in and you walk out with no money that day. 30 to 60 days after they sell it, they give you a check for 85% of what it sold for.

bigbore

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Indy S Side
    While I am not in a hurry, 60 days seems a bit much. I will try here once I get my posts up and then well see how it goes. Consignment seems like a good option though.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Get your post count up and sell it on here. Some used guns sell on here for 80% or more of the new price. A lot of us on here look at the for sale stuff daily. I for one would like to know if there is a support group out there that can help with my addiction. Prices are high right now due to the current administration and if Hillary or Bernie get in they could go even higher.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    Interesting subject. How do you guys find values run in relation to the Blue Book of Guns prices. I subscribe to the Blue Book with an online subscription and have found it interesting to compare book values with prices being asked on forums. Mostly it was fun check facebook values. People are absolutely crazy on prices. I realize collector items compell a high price, but on lots of common arms, people ask more than msrp. See many firearms listed for more than you can buy a brand new one. They get butt hurt when people call them on it. Its an education.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    If you do not know the value of your guns, you will get fleeced by anybody in the Indy area. If you are desperate for money, they will sense that and offer you even less. But it is your property so do what you want. If you know the value and have patience, go to gunbroker and sell them there. Over time you will get what you want. Or take them to an auction house and take a gamble there. Whatever you do, best of luck to you.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    If you do not know the value of your guns, you will get fleeced by anybody in the Indy area. If you are desperate for money, they will sense that and offer you even less. But it is your property so do what you want. If you know the value and have patience, go to gunbroker and sell them there. Over time you will get what you want. Or take them to an auction house and take a gamble there. Whatever you do, best of luck to you.

Thats a bit harsh.
    Im pretty sure I've never fleeced anyone on anything.

OP - log on to gunbroker and view the completed auctions. You'll need an account to see them.
    Dont waste your time with the auctions that have no bids and/or reserves.
    That will give you a very good idea of what a particular firearm might sell for.

Of course, condition, local availability, shipping and ffl fees all are considerations.

Top Bottom