• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have a SKS that I'm going to be trying to sell soon. I know for a private handgun sale most people ask to see LTCH and drivers license to verify the buyer is a "proper person"

For selling a long gun/rifle should I just ask to see IN drivers license to verify they are an IN resident? Do any of you all ask to see LTCH for selling/purchasing a semi auto rifle? I only need to verify the buyer is a Indiana resident, correct?

I purchased the rifle from a small, now out of business local gun shop. I want to make sure im following all the rules for private sales.

Thanks

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    My $.02 worth: If you don't know, I would ask to see DL just to verify Indiana residency. NO info copied or anything just verification. LTCH = License to Carry HANDGUN. Not a license to carry rifle. As long as you have good reason to believe they are resident and no reason to believe they cannot own a rifle then you are good to go in my book.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    All you are required to do is make sure they are an IN resident and a "proper person"

How you verify those things is up to you. If you exchange phone numbers and they have an IN area code that, to me, would verify they are a resident. If you ask to see a Larry and/or DL that is up to you. Some people don't like to show it, other people don't care, and still others show it even if you don't ask.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Have not sold a firearm, but if I did sell one to a stranger, I'd clearly state that I'd want to see DL and LTCH, with nothing recorded. It is truly an abundance of caution, as felons can have DLs.

It is not totally a guarantee, of course, but for my own peace of mind and CYA-ness, that's what I'd want. I'd also totally expect the buyer to want a bill of sale/receipt for it.

I'm sure that would turn off some buyers - requesting to see the LTCH for a long gun - but that's what I'd do.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I would say that the phone number to verify residency is of limited usefulness. I know of a lot of IN residents who have cell phones without IN numbers. If you mean home phones then the number becomes slightly more useful (assuming they have not simply given you a relative's/friend's details)

One Shot One Kill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    Near The Dunes
    My $.02 worth: If you don't know, I would ask to see DL just to verify Indiana residency. NO info copied or anything just verification. LTCH = License to Carry HANDGUN. Not a license to carry rifle. As long as you have good reason to believe they are resident and no reason to believe they cannot own a rifle then you are good to go in my book.
    :+1: I never understood asking LTCH, it is not required to sell a rifle or handgun FTF with someone. Makes some people feel better I guess, but as long as they can prove they are a Indiana resident (drivers license), and a "proper person" (most you can do here is ask if they can own it legally) than you have done all the law requires of you. Some people use LTCH as proof the person is a "proper person". This may not always be the case though, my local FFL before said a guy had a LTCH that was active and was denied a handgun transfer because he still had charges on his record. Apprently the LTCH system can let "inproper persons" pass through sometimes.
    Long story short, do whatever you feel necessary. You may get less people interested if you require a LTCH, as not every gunowner wants/has one, but you get more peace of mind I suppose.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I would say that the phone number to verify residency is of limited usefulness. I know of a lot of IN residents who have cell phones without IN numbers. If you mean home phones then the number becomes slightly more useful (assuming they have not simply given you a relative's/friend's details)

I get that people have phones withouth IN numbers, but if someone gives me a number with a 317/765/812/whatever area code, to me, that shows me they are a resident. I could be wrong with that assumption but that's just me. I do also get a Bill of Sale when I sell something with at least a name on it to cover myself.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I get that people have phones withouth IN numbers, but if someone gives me a number with a 317/765/812/whatever area code, to me, that shows me they are a resident. I could be wrong with that assumption but that's just me. I do also get a Bill of Sale when I sell something with at least a name on it to cover myself.

Do you call that number and then verify your buyer/seller lives at that address? If not, they might have given you the number for ISP or IMPD. Or 812-867-5309, for that matter. Seriously, them giving you a legitimate sounding number means NOTHING, unless you verify it.

It's all really a matter of making an effort to ensure the person an IN resident and is "proper". And in the case of the other person being a stranger, from everything I've read, that can be as simple as asking them if they are "a proper person", then verifying residency from a DL. If you know them, and have any reason to believe they are not "proper" then the deal should be off.

Last edited:

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Do you call that number and then verify your buyer/seller lives at that address? If not, they might have given you the number for ISP or IMPD. Or 812-867-5309, for that matter. Seriously, them giving you a legitimate sounding number means NOTHING, unless you verify it.

Yeah, sorry, that was implied. I usually finalize deals through text/phone call after PM'ing on here. That usually works to verify the number.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Yeah, sorry, that was implied. I usually finalize deals through text/phone call after PM'ing on here. That usually works to verify the number.
    And if they give you a number and say "You're not going to call me on that, are you?" that should set off alarm bells :D

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville

That works. But honestly, I'm a little paranoid about giving my number to a stranger. I try to avoid it if at all possible. But that's just me... Having their verified number WOULD be a help if the po-pos come knocking on your door asking about the gun you just bought/sold.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I've not asked to see a LTCH for the two guns I've sold recently. I just look at the IN DL and ask if they are a felon. In both cases, they appeared to be stand-up people.

As a buyer, I'm not sure how many hoops I'd be willing to jump through to satisfy the seller that it's OK, unless it was a fabulous deal on a gun I really wanted.

I'd show my DL, and maybe my LTCH, but I'm not sure I'd want the seller to record anything more than my full name.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I check DL's and write up a bill of sale for both me and the purchaser to sign/date. If someone doesn't like it they dont have to buy it. I even prefer it when buying just because I have paper work on when i purchased it incase it came up hot or was used in a crime.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    All you are required to do is make sure they are an IN resident and a "proper person".
    Not quite. You must have no reason to believe they are not a proper person. Therefore, you are not required to run a full background check. In other words, if you know they are a felon, that's a no-go. If you have no knowledge of their past felonies and do end up selling them a gun, you're OK, legally speaking.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom