• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Zimmerman made the news for a reason, it was an unusual situation. The vast majority of self-defense shootings don't get that kind of publicity and politically demanded prosecution. (Remember, Zimmerman wasn't arrested after the initial investigation, only once political pressure from way up above came down was he prosecuted). I can't speak to the frequency of civil suits, that's not my end of it.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks to Obama Care, I can barely afford health insurance. So there's no way I'm spending a dime on Self Defense Insurance, good idea or not.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Zimmerman made the news for a reason, it was an unusual situation. The vast majority of self-defense shootings don't get that kind of publicity and politically demanded prosecution. (Remember, Zimmerman wasn't arrested after the initial investigation, only once political pressure from way up above came down was he prosecuted). I can't speak to the frequency of civil suits, that's not my end of it.

Yes, but the Zimmerman case greatly shows why even if you are in the right that you could still be prosecuted and at that point it could take a lot of money to defend yourself. As always, guilty until proven innocent. Burden is fully on you to defend yourself in life and trial (double whammy).

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just got a new shipment of NRA student packets. They had a brochure from Lockton Risk advertising self defense insurance. Different from their original policy. Cost $8 - $35 a month depending on coverage. That is all I know until I check into it a bit further.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    OP, you might want to check out the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network.

Ditto. I'm a member. Highly recommend it.

I encourage my students to consider it - at $120ish per year - for any of them who carry any sort of weapon with them for self-defense.

John

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What exactly do these plans cover? Legal fees? Experts? Bond? Hardware replacement?

Depends on the plan or organization. I currently have a self defense rider on a liability policy. It pays for my defense. Of course this is only if I am not guilty. Think George Z. Should also cover some cost for a stray shot. Other plans cover bail and an upfront payment to secure the attorney. Some groups promote an expert witness. Truthfully these policies should be a pretty good money maker for the insurance companies. As morbid as it sounds if a guy kills me in the street my life insurance pays out and my kids might actually afford to be able to go to college. If I put two through Mr. thugs sternum I could very likely get arrested and possibly even charged with a crime. Yeah I am alive but financially ruined.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Depends on the plan or organization. I currently have a self defense rider on a liability policy. It pays for my defense. Of course this is only if I am not guilty. Think George Z. Should also cover some cost for a stray shot. Other plans cover bail and an upfront payment to secure the attorney. Some groups promote an expert witness. Truthfully these policies should be a pretty good money maker for the insurance companies. As morbid as it sounds if a guy kills me in the street my life insurance pays out and my kids might actually afford to be able to go to college. If I put two through Mr. thugs sternum I could very likely get arrested and possibly even charged with a crime. Yeah I am alive but financially ruined.

^this that is why the life of a criminal is so great with our legal system. :faint:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder if our fellow member INGO lawyers can help us separate the wheat from the chaff on this? Help figure what the best bang for the buck is, so to speak? :):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Interesting tid bit I learned from Tom Givens. Sort of pertains to this conversation. Afterall the insurance companies are playing the odds.

Statistically what are the chances of a person being involved in a violent crime? For example 1:1000. Higher, lower?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    ALL insurance companies play the odds. That is their job. They aggregate risk. Your chances of a house fire are small, but the repercussions are devastating if it happens to you. So, you are willing to pay a moderate amount to insure that you will be able to recover in case of a fire. Insurance companies need to charge enough to pay off for the house fires for their customers, plus some additional money for their administrative costs, plus some profit. The same is true of almost all kinds of other insurance.

Top Bottom