• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    I'd have to side with the shop owner here. It's just wrong interfering with a person's business inside their business and I can understand why they took offense. This probably wasn't the 1st time someone has done that to the owner based on his response to this transaction. Even with the gun being listed for $650 by no way means that is what they'll get. Think about it, how many here are willing to pay full retail price for their firearms? That gun is only worth as much as someone is willing to give for it and in all honesty, a 16 gauge isn't really on the top of very many shopping lists. It sure isn't on my wish list. I doubt if the owner will make enough on that gun to cover utilities for one month and if he does sell it for close to what the asking price is, how long will it take and what other hoops will he have to jump through to get it out of his inventory?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    1. You never try and conduct business with a third party in someone else's establishment. The owner has every right to ask you to leave and not come back.

2. You stated that the gun was worth $500 to $600, but yet you only offered him $200. I don't see your offer being a fair offer, and I would say as far as ethics/fairness go, you're not much better than the gun shop.

:twocents:

Brads knives, I would interpret the low offer to the shop owner (but still 100% quick profit) as the OP testing the owner to see if he knew something about the value of the piece and that he was taking advantage of the seller. I hope the OP would have made a more generous offer were he dealing directly with the elderly gentleman.

Although I understand a shopowners distress if a customer were to involve himself directly in such a transaction, the swiftness and finality of the response tells me all I think I need to know about this particular businessman's ethics

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    IMHO, it's not your business to decide how much the shop should offer. If the old man didn't like it he was free to walk, if he sold it its on him. I think I would have asked you to leave to. The guy owns a business to make money, as much as possible, not give everyone having a hard time a break. Hell, as far as you know the old guy could have been rolling in cash and just didn't want the gun anymore.

Although I freely acknowledge that the running cameras could influence things, I note that Rick - the shopowner on 'Pawn Stars' - will not allow a seller ignorant of the true value of his possession to be 'taken' in his shop

I recall something about integrity being related to how you act when no one is watching

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    So, if I saw the same gun offered by the same guy, for the same price, but in the INGO classifieds, and I know the gun is worth a lot more, and I really want it..........

Am I a turd if I don't offer MORE than his asking price?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    FWIW, Blue Book shows 100% condition at $300, then it goes to $250, $225, $195, $175, $165, then $140. If it has a vent rib add a whopping 10-20%

Although I freely acknowledge that the running cameras could influence things, I note that Rick - the shopowner on 'Pawn Stars' - will not allow a seller ignorant of the true value of his possession to be 'taken' in his shop

I recall something about integrity being related to how you act when no one is watching

1) Pawnstars is a TV show......they're filming to be on TV where millions will see
    2) Pawnstars is fake

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    "I recall something about integrity being related to how you act when no one is watching"

Sorry to repeat myself

You are the captain of your soul

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    FWIW, Blue Book shows 100% condition at $300, then it goes to $250, $225, $195, $175, $165, then $140. If it has a vent rib add a whopping 10-20%

Thanks for posting the present book value. I do not have a current book with me. That is in line with the sold deals through Gunbroker.com. That IS a modern site accessible to millions of people nation wide and frequented by collectors as well as more casual purchasers. Surely if PURCHASERS we willing to drop big money for that old pump gun, they would have spent their money there.

Like I shared in my 1st post, I got just a tick over $5900 for a shotgun that showed a book over $8,000. And it took 3 years to try to find a buyer. Several big time talkers along the way, but they never backed it up with stacks of Franklins.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    So, if I saw the same gun offered by the same guy, for the same price, but in the INGO classifieds, and I know the gun is worth a lot more, and I really want it..........

Am I a turd if I don't offer MORE than his asking price?

I would PM & verify seller was aware of worth of said firearm, if they still wanted to sell it for a steal, that's their choice. INGO has taught me we all interpret things vastly different, & frequently must agree to disagree. Post up a Wilson Combat 9mm CQB for $350 & test us!

Some would say it was a lack of integrity to interfere, some say same for offering double, & some believe (such as I), that the original lowball was a lack of integrity (based on OP info).

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    & some believe (such as I), that the original lowball was a lack of integrity (based on OP info).

And bluebook values and what they're selling for on gunbroker is meaningless because the shop possibly got into a firearm for $100?

It's old, but it is still an 11-48 in 16 gauge, nothing special. A Winchester 1400 is still a 1400, an old Sears or JC Higgins or High Standard is just that....and old firearm and rarely increases in value just because it's old.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Business is nothing more than buying low and selling high. I would have done the same if I was the shop owner.

Unfortunately some people get taken advantage of sometimes. Then again sellers don't want to do the necessary research in order to get the most out of what they are selling. Sometimes they just don't care and want the item gone. Many things can dictate the sellers thought process.

For me I like to be the guy making the buck and have not stepped foot into a shop in a very long time.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Explain please how making the shop an offer which apparently was not within earshot of the selling customer is screwing up a deal.

Not within earshot? Let's review:

Not wanting to see the old guy get totally taken, I wait a minute and after some sticky silence, I leaned in and said to the guy behind the counter "As soon as you are done buying this, I'll offer the shop $200 cash for the Remmy". You double your money.

There is how.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013

^^^^This just reenforces my thought that the shop owner is a little greasy. Sounds like, in his mind, he was not only trying to take advantage of the seller, he is going to try with a potential buyer.

If I walk into a shop and they have an item priced at $650 and then said they'd take $300 (100% value, in this case), I'm walking out. Just my two cents.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This has been a sticky discussion based on hearsay of an unknown person, who himself quoted hearsay of another person, AND incorrectly stated the value by a huge margin. Reading through the points of view on this thread has shown that there are lots of factors to consider. The thing that sticks out is the overwhelming evidence that people ARE interested in the higher values of honesty, integrity, truth, fair market, etc.

This quest to wisely determine a correct interpretation of these values is well served as people make careful posts to correctly state their opinion, without the juvenile disrespect common in the internet. This is how people debated topics before our age of 'political correctness" and 'safe speech" in university environments. I had feared that people had lost this ability. Thanks to all for keeping the discussion on a higher level of integrity. So often I turn off the news with a feeling that our society is in complete failure, but you have all encouraged me that there is still hope.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This has been a sticky discussion based on hearsay of an unknown person, who himself quoted hearsay of another person, AND incorrectly stated the value by a huge margin. Reading through the points of view on this thread has shown that there are lots of factors to consider. The thing that sticks out is the overwhelming evidence that people ARE interested in the higher values of honesty, integrity, truth, fair market, etc.

This quest to wisely determine a correct interpretation of these values is well served as people make careful posts to correctly state their opinion, without the juvenile disrespect common in the internet. This is how people debated topics before our age of 'political correctness" and 'safe speech" in university environments. I had feared that people had lost this ability. Thanks to all for keeping the discussion on a higher level of integrity. So often I turn off the news with a feeling that our society is in complete failure, but you have all encouraged me that there is still hope.

Quoted because this post needs to be read at least twice!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I haven't read all of the comments because it became clear pretty quickly from the few that I did that
    A: If you're affiliated with the retail end of things this is OK.
    B: If you're not, this isnt.

You all have to live with yourselves and the decisions that you make, but for me, I've never had to lie to make a profit.
    On those rare occasions that I do sell a gun, I almost always come out at least a little ahead.
    If I dont, it's because having the money in hand is of more immediate importance to me than waiting for the right price.
    I almost never sell or trade a gun in to a shop, because I don't feel like giving them my equity.
    I understand how selling for a profit works, and I understand why used guns are more profitable than new guns.
    That still doesn't make wrong into right.

At the end of the day, I guess you have to ask yourself if you ever WANT to do business in an establishment again. I'm no paragon of virtue, but there are several around here who'll never have their doorway darkened by me again, for behavior similar to what you witnessed.
    Should you have spoken up? I don't know. Were you wrong? I don't think so.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

^^^^This just reenforces my thought that the shop owner is a little greasy. Sounds like, in his mind, he was not only trying to take advantage of the seller, he is going to try with a potential buyer.

If I walk into a shop and they have an item priced at $650 and then said they'd take $300 (100% value, in this case), I'm walking out. Just my two cents.

We can throw out the book on a lot of these old firearms. I have seen three of these in the $400-$550 range in the last couple of months. IIRC there was one recently in our own classifieds in the $400 range. The book is a good place to start but by no means the end all conversation piece.
    And LEO...Great post. Rep inbound.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    BLUE BOOK value is $225. to $250. , that is what the dealer hopes to sell it for, RETAIL. Dealers buy at WHOLESALE. After the dealer buys it, it might just sit on the shelf for a year or two, (16ga). Then if he is lucky enough to sell it, he might be expected to take something else in trade, and the new owner will probably expect him to give some kind of warranty in case there is some hidden flaw. The dealer has OVERHEAD, he cannot pay his bills if his money just sits on the shelf for a couple of years, he is in business, not a collector. He more than likely did not want the gun, but did not want to turn the customer down flat. You offered $200. ? For $200. that dealer could probably buy a decent used 870 or 500 , give it a quick cleaning and sell it pretty quick for $300. I'm with the dealer on this, if you wanted it you should have waited outside the shop for the man to leave and made your offer in the parking lot. JMHO

Top Bottom