• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There's no magic to keeping seeds. Most garden seeds lose 50% of their viability within a few years (varies by seed) when stored in a cool, dry place. That can be doubled if the seeds are dried to 8% moisture and frozen, but seeds aren't the sort of thing one can just stash and forget for 10 years and expect a lot of vigor if you have to use them.

Suggested book: "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Maybe we should start our own little INGO seed exchange bank.

With that said I will refrain from offering my own seed up first in a comment like..."I got some seed for you!", dang it, did it again...sorry.

Good Idea, I will have a ton of heirlooms in the fall. Will update pics of garden this weekend after all planted!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Suggested book: "Seed to Seed" by Suzanne Ashworth.

Have it... its really really really dry, but priceless in a **** hits the fan situtation... like before i read it i didnt know that if you want carrot seets you have to wait 2 years before it produces seeds and at that time there is no longer root to eat (carrot) there are many like this as well.... its worth the money if you are a prepper

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If one has more time than money, the information can be patched together from various web sources.

If one has more money than time, the book is a handy resource.

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    With that said I will refrain from offering my own seed up first in a comment like..."I got some seed for you!", dang it, did it again...sorry.

Good Idea, I will have a ton of heirlooms in the fall. Will update pics of garden this weekend after all planted!

I still have a couple of late trays that I started germinating "just incase" a storm or a late frost came & damaged or killed any of the 256 plants (mostly corn & beans) I have in the ground at the moment, but they'll go into the ground too when they are ready.

After that I'll work on replenshing some of the fruit bushes (black berries, rasberries & blue berries) that I lost over the last couple of years, I think my grape vine might be dead too this year it got hit really hard by a massive swarm of japanese beetles last year & it's not greening up & it usually greens up early, although my black rasberry is coming back pretty strong this year, even after it got demolished by one of my dogs chewing all of the briars down to the ground and although it seems to be coming back pretty strong I am not expecting it to produce alot of fruit this year.

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Interesting, has anyone had any experience with whether the seeds will germinate years later?

well if you really want to know yes they do ive had seeds for over 3 years and they are now sprouting through the ground it was really to my suprise they are still good keep them stored in a dry cool place and they can still be used.

Top Bottom