• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    So today, on my day off I went to about six different gun shops around Indianapolis. This was my first time actually shopping for a handgun. I planned to just look at prices. Though I also wanted to see which shop I'd like to do business with. They we're all the same. None of them bothered to help me, except the last shop.

I had my heart set on the G26. The guy behind the counter saw me eye balling it. He was very very helpful! In fact he's got me second guessing...some people have tried to sway my decision, but none like him. He pulled out the G19 and the Springfield XDm 3.8 and told me to hold them... Now I'm unsure of what I want now.

All three are great guns, the thing is you just can't shoot the G19 and Springfield at a range here in Indianapolis, only the 26. The trade off I see is the G19 and Springfield are more comfortable, but less concealable. I figure if I want that G19 grip I can always add mag. and mag. ext. to the G26. Also, can I have the range order the G19 and Springfield so I can try it, if I'm really interested?

Any help at all? I'm just clueless, I really had my heart set on the G26 and then the nice guy behind the counter just totally made me second guess myself...

Thanks, Gulley

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Probably aren't going to be able to have a shop order them in just so you can try them, but you might ask around here on the forum to see if someone will let you shoot theirs. Most people are pretty friendly, and if you supply the ammo you might get to try them all that way. I don't have any of those to offer or I'd let you meet me at my range to give them a go.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies! At the time they we're very busy, though the guy behind the counter gave me as much attention as I wanted. I felt like I could stand there all day and talk to him and he wouldn't be bothered at all. He was very honest. Pulled any gun I just happened to glance at out of the case. Maybe he was aggressive, but I liked it. It was a good aggressive of course. They had great prices also, not my main concern. The other shops didn't really bother trying to sell me a handgun.

Not trying to make this a review...but I think I've found the shop I'd like to do business with if I needed anything.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I figured but wanted to hear it from you.. It's where I do ALL my business

That's great to hear. Their all good people. I asked the for the guy's name who helped me, but I forgot...I'll be honest, when I went to shops I sorta' wanted someone to bother me about something without saying much. This guy did it right. It's the farthest shop from me, I live on the Northside. Though the drive is very worth it.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    Probably aren't going to be able to have a shop order them in just so you can try them, but you might ask around here on the forum to see if someone will let you shoot theirs. Most people are pretty friendly, and if you supply the ammo you might get to try them all that way. I don't have any of those to offer or I'd let you meet me at my range to give them a go.

Thanks for the effort, very nice of you! I figured I wouldn't be able to...

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I don't like Glocks at all. I think they are absolutely hideous, but I fall right into your category.

If conceilability is the main issue, go with the Glock.

I did this exact same thing, and a G26 is my EDC - for the exact same reason you said. I might think it's ugly and boring, but it goes bang every time and I have no concerns about trusting my life with it.

For what it's worth, it's a really crappy feeling to buy a gun you THINK you'll carry, just to have it sit in the safe, or worse, sell at a loss.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    There's a lot of guns to look at! LOL....

What are you looking to do with it? Concealed carry? Or just home-defense and range time?

I love Glocks as well, but my brother just bought a S&W M&P9c with a frame mounted safety, and I really like it. It was his first pistol, and he felt better with having an external safety. I would love to have one for CC, more than the G26, although I love my G17.

PSS is a great store.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    I don't like Glocks at all. I think they are absolutely hideous, but I fall right into your category.

If conceilability is the main issue, go with the Glock.

I did this exact same thing, and a G26 is my EDC - for the exact same reason you said. I might think it's ugly and boring, but it goes bang every time and I have no concerns about trusting my life with it.

For what it's worth, it's a really crappy feeling to buy a gun you THINK you'll carry, just to have it sit in the safe, or worse, sell at a loss.

Yeah, I'm glad you've been on the same boat. I just know that I've shot it and it works for me. The size is a plus! I'm glad he recommended other handguns, though he got me thinking...

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I have agree with NHT3, the G26 is your best bet. I have one and carry it everywhere, well almost and love it, would not carry anything else. Feels and shoots great, you won't be sorry.

JGulley317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Marion Co.
    There's a lot of guns to look at! LOL....

What are you looking to do with it? Concealed carry? Or just home-defense and range time?

I love Glocks as well, but my brother just bought a S&W M&P9c with a frame mounted safety, and I really like it. It was his first pistol, and he felt better with having an external safety. I would love to have one for CC, more than the G26, although I love my G17.

PSS is a great store.

Yes, all 3. I decided on the Glock 26 because I figured in the future I could buy another that would be larger and I could use for home-defense if I choose to. The G26 is fine for home-defense IMO with a G17 mag. At the range it might not be as fun as full size. Though, it's not a concern for me I think.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Oh, i thought you where saying they wouldnt let you shoot one there, not that they didnt have one for rent lol.. Im in Kokomo not to far from indy, i have a G19 if you come out this way let me know and you can try it out.

There isn't a range in Indianapolis who has the G19 to rent. Surprisingly...

Rip007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I have both, the 26 and the 19. I bought the 26 first and like you said I added the mag extension. This made the 26 grip about the same as the 19. I know the 26 barrel is shorter but the barrel is not the usual a problem with concealing your pistol. I ended up buying a 19 and using it as my edc. Buy what your comfortable with and practice with it! It you haven't take a NRA training class. Good luck with your decision, all pistols you mentioned are fine weapons.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I have a 19 and 26 if you would like to try them.. Sure won't wear them out shooting them. PM me to see if we can mesh our schedules.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    PSS is the place to go. I do all my shopping there except for ammo. That's where I bought my first handgun, coincidentally a G19. I'm not gonna lie, I liked the gun but I traded it for what I was truly in the market for.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    When in doubt, if you ever plan on carrying anything, go smaller than you'll think you'll need.

If you're comfortable shooting without using your pinky I wouldn't bother with the G19.

If you're going to put a pinky rest on the G26, then get the G19. You'll shoot the G19 better at the end of the day anyway if you can't shoot without your pinky.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies! At the time they we're very busy, though the guy behind the counter gave me as much attention as I wanted. I felt like I could stand there all day and talk to him and he wouldn't be bothered at all. He was very honest. Pulled any gun I just happened to glance at out of the case. Maybe he was aggressive, but I liked it. It was a good aggressive of course. They had great prices also, not my main concern. The other shops didn't really bother trying to sell me a handgun.

Not trying to make this a review...but I think I've found the shop I'd like to do business with if I needed anything.

As with anything you undertake it is a lot of work to get established at a shop or series of shops. I have my favorite LGS and Plainfield is one of them. They have as good or better pricing than most anyone. I also do my best to support the other shops on my list. They all have something to offer. One thing to realize about owning a gun store, the parade of dead heads is endless and it is easy to get burned out on your time being ate up with tire kickers. It is all part of it but I understand.
    The boys at Plainfield will not try to push you in any given direction to sell you a gun. I have made many transactions with them and everyone has been pleasant.
    I do not have any of the pieces you mentioned As most of mine are .45 ACP. If I did you would be welcome to try. I do like the Springfield line. It is top shelf.

Top Bottom