• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    It seems I am constantly powerwashing and sealing my deck. I live in the woods and it gets a bit mildewy. I don't mind that so much, but I do mind using a product that won't keep it sealed for crap. I've been using Thompson's. I used it twice last summer and now I'm ready again.

What can you recommend for me besides thompson's that will last more than a year or two and applies clear?
    Thanks!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've got several decks around my house and I have the same problem you have, and I've used Cabot Stain/sealant and about every other major brand that I researched and they said they were the bee's knee's and while the stain sealents I've used will last a full year (all my decks get FULL Sun) they are thicker and harder to put down than Thompsons, I just use a sprayer with the thompsons and I'm done in a couple hours as opposed to 3/4 day with the stains.

I'm going back to Thompsons after 4 years of using all the other products. My house is Cedar sided and I'm going to have to do a complete stain on it again in the next year and after my experience with years of staining wood I'm thinking of pulling off the Cedar siding and going to a vynel siding.

My 2 cents put the thompsons in a sprayer and hose her down and take it easy.

BTW if you hit your wifes flowers with Thompsons it knocks the petal off them but they do live.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Are you power washing 1st ? Maybe, the mildew is living in the wood. I lightly pre spray the green areas with a little beach water combo, let it thoroughly dry after rinsing and that seems to help some. Repetitive Staining is hard work and I brush mine on. It's a job I do not envy. Clarification, the green areas come back but the bleaching seems to give me some extra time between re painting

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I used to use a chemical wash, but now use a powerwasher. I've also sprayed on Thompson's using a Wagner, but the overspray and cloud was a killer. I think I used a weed sprayer once, but still had to brush it in, ditto with a roller, and once I even got down on my hands and knees and used a paint brush.

But the last several times, I've used a long handled brush, sort of like a broom, only with brush bristles. It really penetrates the wood well and I vastly prefer this method.

A few years ago, I had just sealed the deck and I had some workman over to do something else and he said, "Hey man, you need to seal this deck." The Thompson's seems to last about 3 months.

I've used an oil based sealer on my wooden swing. Would anyone recommend this for a deck?

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Also, the directions for the Thompson's says to apply it thinly. It says a thin coat is better than a thick one.
    I'm considering doing 2 coats.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I'm going to thread jack for a minute.

If/when I ever need to tear out and re-build a deck, I am definitely doing stamped concrete. Nuts to wooden decks.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I've used an oil based sealer on my wooden swing. Would anyone recommend this for a deck?

You can, as long as you dont plan to walk on it. A few years ago my father in law used linseed oil on his deck, thinking it would work the same as on his swing. It was so slick when it was done that my wifes grandmother almost broke a hip.
    (thinking back, maybe that was his intent). Anyway, it took quite some time, and a few washes to get the oil cleaned off enough to make it safe to walk on.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Not a professional, but I was told that the tinted sealers actually work better at sealing than the clear ones. Now, the person who told me couldn't back up the claim in any way, nor have I researched it. I used a sprayer with Honey Gold tinted Thompson's for my fence and it's held up great. My fence is done with rough cut pickets so they soak up the sealer. The first time we used a light coat, followed by a heavy coat, then resealed it again at the end of that year with another light coat. It's been three years and though I'm sure it's not actually sealed as well as it was, the tint has held its color great, and the wood doesn't seem to be damaged.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I just helped the FIL do his 17 year old deck. He opted for the "stain" that looked like paint to me. I wasn't really fond of the "painted" look for a deck, but it turned out great. Great coverage, easy to roll on, and sealed it up really nice for another 4 - 5 years I am sure.

And by the way, my FIL has a "big deck" (for those Bob & Tom guys).

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for their responses!! :yesway:

If you spill something on your deck, a dog'll lick it off.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I hate to bring this up again, but I just noticed that my deck, which I cleaned and sealed last spring, looks like crap. It very obviously is not sealed. I forget now what I used last time, but I've used Sherwin-Williams, Behr, Thompsons and they all suck. I need to seal my deck about every 3 months. What the heck gives?
    Any new suggestions? THX

Top Bottom