• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I want to build a budget scout rifle out of a Mosin.It's all planned out except for one little detail,the rear iron sight.Thinking of putting it on the receiver,most likely over the markings.I thought about drilling and tapping for a small rail section but I'm not sure yet.Anyone have any ideas?

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Suppose you could use a ghost ring Weaver style rear sight. Only recommendation I have is make sure you use high quality carbide bits while drilling. Those receivers are extremely hard. Good luck to you.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Suppose you could use a ghost ring Weaver style rear sight. Only recommendation I have is make sure you use high quality carbide bits while drilling. Those receivers are extremely hard. Good luck to you.

Cobalt bits have been better for me when drilling into hard steel. Not cheep at all, and sometimes difficult to find, but well worth the money when drilling difficult steels. Your local hardware may have them, or a Fastenal, or other industrial supply house.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I've seen RBUISs made from sling swivels set into the cocking piece of the bolt. Quick and dirty, though pretty exposed and jury-riggish.

I'm in a similiar boat; I have a '42 with a crazy offset front sight that is going in a Boyd's thumbhole and losing some barrel. I'd like to keep some irons on there if I can, so the rear sight may stay and I'll do a mount on the receiver instead.

I expect you're looking to do a long eye-relief scope on the rear sight to keep the stripper bridge viable. To accomplish that, the easiest answer is probably mount a short rail and use a sight on that. If the height works, I would imagine a GGG "sling thang" mount would be pretty much GTG.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I thought about drilling and tapping to accept a sling stud and then opening the hole up and using that as a peep sight directly on the receiver.I was gonna get the rail mount that takes place of the original rear sight to hold the scout scope.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    This is a great idea! I never thought of a sling mount for a rear!
    I would say for your scout scope mount I would suggest the Rock Solid Scout mount. Some of the other mounts are known to work loose pretty quick.
    Here is a link to them:
    Hex: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Scout Mount Hex Receiver | Rock Solid Industries
    Round: Mosin Nagant 91/30 Scout Mount Round Receiver | Rock Solid Industries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNipvJ40nXI

If you are going for a true Scout style you will need to cut the bbl down. What are you going to do for the front sight?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Well one of three things for the front sight:
    1. Get one of the replacement sights that are either clamp on or set screw mounted.
    2. Line up with my rear sight choice and weld on something similar to a revolver sight blade.
    3. Just use one of the Mosin cabinets like an M39 or M44.

As far as the mount goes,I have really been looking at RSI for that.
    As far as

Top Bottom