• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    While were on the subject of 10mm, if your barrel slugs .400", would it make that much difference if you used .401" jacketed bullets over. 400" jacketed bullets?

Inquiring minds want to know.

The reason I ask is that I can purchase .401 jacketed hollow point bullets intended for 38-40 rifle/handgun or should I stay with .400"?

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    While were on the subject of 10mm, if your barrel slugs .400", would it make that much difference if you used .401" jacketed bullets over. 400" jacketed bullets?

The reason I ask is that I can purchase .401 jacketed hollow point bullets intended for 38-40 rifle/handgun or should I stay with .400"?

Most everything I've read says to match a jacketed bullet to the bore diameter. Using plated, coated, or regular lead you can "size up" .001 or .002" in diameter which can help with accuracy.

A quick search showing the 10mm bullets for sale at Widener's seems to back this up...https://www.wideners.com/reloading-supplies/bullets/pistol-bullets/10mm-bullets

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

Reloading? I've read the profile could be higher. You may have to seat it lower, adjust your powder charge, and crimp it higher.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    [STRIKE]Also, for cartridges, the 38-40 and 10 mm had 2 different cylinders. The 38-40 was reamed out more.[/STRIKE]

These old cartridges are black powder. Having black powder guns, I should have thought about that.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    That's a question for the reloaders. I'm assuming it's a straight wall bullet like the 10mm and most 10mm aren't caniler, so should be fine.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Okay so I ordered a 10mm and should have it in a week or two. I already ordered some carry ammo in Horrandy and Gold dot plus a little range ammo like Magtech but I would like to buy a 1,000 rounds of something. I am looking at SGAMMO.com and see Magtech has 1000 rounds of HP for like $300 around 1230FPS. I am a little confused as to what FPS I should be looking for. I see Underwood loaded up to 1700 FPS but I don't want to buy that stuff for the range. Is the 1230 good for 10mm? I will never reload my own rounds so I am just looking for an idea of how many FPS I should be looking for when I am buying range ammo so that I at least know I am shooting a 10mm and not a 40 cal

The 10MM is a fantastic round and I only use American Made or Handloaded ammunition. While it is not quite up to my favorite .41 Magnum, it is an improvement in ballistics over 9 if you can handle it. 10MM Semi autos are harder to master for repeated quick shot placement but with practice one can be efficient. The best semi autos for this round is a premium Longslide all steel 1911 platform IMO. It's purpose for a hunting round is doable but the whole picture for defense paints a different picture. Stay away from cheap ammo watch your crimp on handloads and you can have fun with this round.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Okay so I ordered 1000 rounds of S&B for like $300 so we will see how that runs for range ammo I guess. I am going to look into some Underwood for carry too

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I’m pretty new to the 10mm game myself but I ordered 1k of lax factory loaded ammo and have shot some sig v crown. I can tell you from shooting both after having a 40 that both are much more powerful than factory 40. When I shot them at the range people stopped to ask what the hell I was shooting lol. Both performed flawlessly from my g29.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    I have no science to back this up, but the S&B “feels” roughly the same to me as the Sig 10mm ammo. But, I can feel a significant difference with most of the Underwood hot stuff.

S&B has been good range ammo for me. No issues at all.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have no science to back this up, but the S&B “feels” roughly the same to me as the Sig 10mm ammo. But, I can feel a significant difference with most of the Underwood hot stuff.
    Really? I am surprised. I think the difference in the Sig and the S&B as pretty distinctive. The Sig FMJ and the Underwood FMJ in 180 is within 50 fps of each other. So they are closer than the Sig and the S&B.

When I first started buying Underwood it was cheaper than most of the commercial big name stuff. It is just nuts any more.

Hurtaaron

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    NWI
    Really? I am surprised. I think the difference in the Sig and the S&B as pretty distinctive. The Sig FMJ and the Underwood FMJ in 180 is within 50 fps of each other. So they are closer than the Sig and the S&B.

When I first started buying Underwood it was cheaper than most of the commercial big name stuff. It is just nuts any more.

Well, my comparison hasn’t been apples to apples. The Underwood I’ve bought has been either less or more than 180 grain, like the 1600fps light stuff, and the 1200fps heavy stuff. If I saw it had similar specs to the Sig... I just bought the Sig due to the aforementioned Underwood prices.

Top Bottom