• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Here's a real life event to use as a thought exercise. Active case, so no details, but the following should be sufficient to set the stage. Makes you wonder about people sometimes.

1) You are alone with your children (both old enough to walk, neither old enough to physically resist).
    2) One of your children is abruptly snatched up and has a handgun put to his/her neck. Distance from you, perhaps 2 yards.
    3) A second suspect is providing overwatch from approximately 15 yards away, but has not shown a weapon.
    4) First suspect demands money or will shoot the child.
    5) Bystanders are unable or unwilling to get involved but are not in your back stop area if you decide to engage with a firearm from what you can see.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Last time I was at the range I practiced shooting to the left of the silhouette head to simulate trying to shoot an attacker who has a hostage. I did fine, but I'm not sure i would be comfortable taking that shot in real life at the moment.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    1) You are alone with your children (both old enough to walk, neither old enough to physically resist).

5) Bystanders are unable or unwilling to get involved but are not in your back stop area if you decide to engage with a firearm from what you can see.

?, in public?:n00b:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What kind of handgun does the bad guy have? Revolver/Kel-Tec/DAO/finger off trigger I'd take the head shot at 2 yards without hesitation. Something single action or possibly light trigger with finger on trigger, the choice gets harder. I'm sure there are some twitches and muscle contractions that occur when lead enters the brain at high speed.

Joe'Bronco

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    NorCal (Dont hate)
    This is more of a chest match as every action has a reaction. You flinch and he may pull the trigger. Just Hand over the wallet, just as he askes. The life of a child is not worth the money in my wallet. BUT the moment when he sets the child down to take the wallet, in my 1 second window of oppurtunity, i would put one between his eyes.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Eegh! That's pretty tough. couldn't care less about giving up the wallet but,
    if you try to draw on someone who already has a gun to YOUR CHILD'S head what makes you
    so sure they won't pull the trigger, even if its negligent, since they are most likely untrained
    and will prob have their finger on the trigger+adrenaline+in a hurry.
    They are probably just going to be using the child for leverage and hope for no resistance from the parent
    for the amount of risk involved but, you never know these days.
    I think some cool headed negotiating after tossing over a wallet wouldn't be out of question but, if that's
    all they want they are prob going to let the child go, grab the wallet and run.
    Just like any scenario none play out the same. If you were able to draw and get on target and they are still
    trying to talk crap, take em out if you have the shot.
    .6) where would you toss the wallet?
    .7) what if you seriously had no money on you or a wallet at that time and it escalates?

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I would like to think that I would be with it enough to throw the wallet down to distract him, but it's also possible that I would just blow his brains out with a snap shot. The human face is a big target at 2 yards and isn't hard to hit with a 4lb trigger.
    Then I would turn and let his buddy have it with the remaining 16 rounds in my mag.

That is of course if everything stayed the same after the instant I shot the first one. Things change fast, so there are no guarantees. Also, it would depend on my state of mind. Historically under pressure, I stop feeling much of anything and just start acting automatically, then my heart races like a jack hammer when it's over. Were I to react differently, I might wait until a more opportune moment to waste him.
    So many variables to consider in even just a simple thought exercise.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    After re-reading it, I think I'd be ok with that shot at 2 yards, but it's my kid. So first give the money. The risk of him shooting my kid while I am drawing isn't worth it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm probably wishing I would have been OC that day because we all know that the BG would have either shot me on sight and taken my wallet or been scared off and gone after easier pickin's.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    For those advocating shooting, are you ready to accept the consequences of the bad guy's gun firing from a reflexive jerk as he dies? This is key.

Also, I'm not sure that we can take a look at his gun and decide to shoot or not shoot based on a guess of the trigger weight. What if he had work done on the revolver?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They get the money. They've already got the drop on you and that's the sane thing to do. I can always shoot the bastard in the back as they run away.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    That's a nightmare! Throw the wallet in an inconvient spot and wait for opening. After he releases child. Then take the shot! I would hope that his buddy would flee after his buddy drops. But be ready to engage. And hope for the best with the courts. But the perp is a major threat to society and must die or he will kill a child eventually even if by accident.

Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    ^^^ This is pretty close to what I was thinking. Wallet onto the ground to the gun side as the most inconvenient way for the gunman to pick it up and still keep his gun to my child's head. Hope for him to grab the wallet and run away. Be prepared for him to not do that. I trust my ability to take that shot, but I'm not confident enough of the immediacy of the effects to do it with a firearm in contact with a kid's head.

Top Bottom