• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    A buddy who lives in IL has an annual daily shoot on his farm. I had forgot about it until the end of June and decided that I wanted to take my SBR. So I submitted the 5320.20 to beg the ATF permission to exercise my freedom and carry my SBR into IL. After I submitted the form, I started researching the IL laws regarding SBRs. It looks like since I'm an IN resident, I can't take my SBR into IL.

Today I received approval from ATF via the 5320.20 that I submitted in June to transport my SBR into IL.

Can anyone help to shed some light on this?

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Sounds like a bad idea to me. I can't say if you would be legal or not but I would not risk it. It could really put you in a bind with all your guns back in Indiana if you were to be found breaking a law. Transport and shoot are two different things, just my two cents.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    A buddy who lives in IL has an annual daily shoot on his farm. I had forgot about it until the end of June and decided that I wanted to take my SBR. So I submitted the 5320.20 to beg the ATF permission to exercise my freedom and carry my SBR into IL. After I submitted the form, I started researching the IL laws regarding SBRs. It looks like since I'm an IN resident, I can't take my SBR into IL.

Today I received approval from ATF via the 5320.20 that I submitted in June to transport my SBR into IL.

Can anyone help to shed some light on this?

:)

:):

:laugh:

:lol2:

:lmfao:

:rofl:

Oh - You were serious?

It's a TRAP :nailbite:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    ATF rules are a maze for anyone on either side of the law. Imagine this possible scenario: you take your gun to IL, local police officer sees it (for whatever reason) and since he "knows" that NFA weapons are strictly no-no, he locks you up for a felony, and turns it over to the ATF to prosecute since it's a federal crime. Even if you win out in the end, it sounds like a nightmare to me.

^^^This scenario seems plausible enough for me not to do it. :dunno:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    ATF rules are a maze for anyone on either side of the law. Imagine this possible scenario: you take your gun to IL, local police officer sees it (for whatever reason) and since he "knows" that NFA weapons are strictly no-no, he locks you up for a felony, and turns it over to the ATF to prosecute since it's a federal crime. Even if you win out in the end, it sounds like a nightmare to me.

^^^This scenario seems plausible enough for me not to do it. :dunno:

Yep that is what I was thinking.

upchurch67

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Kirk - No SOT or C&R. From my brief research, it seems like C&R may allow me to transport me into IL. Your thoughts?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Kirk - No SOT or C&R. From my brief research, it seems like C&R may allow me to transport me into IL. Your thoughts?

My thoughts? I hate Illinois so I left it.:D

No, sorry, yes, see exemption 7 to the prohibition, get a Curio & Relic license. If no C&R, leave it in the safe. Well, you could join a re-enacting club, but a C&R has no dress code.:D

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I go to a shoot every October over in MO. Multiple stamped items come with me and of course about 2/3's of the trip is through IL. I do my best to just put the truck on cruise and look as innocent as possible. I can only imagine how long I'd be stuck while they looked at each and every firearm to make sure they were all OK!

that reminds me; I need to get some 5320.20's mailed in soon!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The primary place I shoot is a private range in Illinois and I take my SBR's there all the time. You do need to hold a C&R (which I do) or be part of a reenactment group. The law is the law and there doesn't need to be a bunch of bed-wetting about big, bad Illinois. That said, I keep a copy of the law with me in my range bag.

OP, if you don't have a C&R, leave the SBR home. Otherwise, you'd be good to go.

Also, Illinois law prohibits SBR's that are under 26" OAL. You can have a <16" barrel, but the OAL still has to be 26". It was a goof-up in the way they wrote the language in the bill.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    The primary place I shoot is a private range in Illinois and I take my SBR's there all the time. You do need to hold a C&R (which I do) or be part of a reenactment group. The law is the law and there doesn't need to be a bunch of bed-wetting about big, bad Illinois. That said, I keep a copy of the law with me in my range bag.

OP, if you don't have a C&R, leave the SBR home. Otherwise, you'd be good to go.

Also, Illinois law prohibits SBR's that are under 26" OAL. You can have a <16" barrel, but the OAL still has to be 26". It was a goof-up in the way they wrote the language in the bill.

Was the intent to ban sub 16" barrels?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Was the intent to ban sub 16" barrels?

Not really sure. If you read the law, that section about restricting sub-26" OAL's is under the section that allows you to possess SBR's if you're a member of a bona-fide reenactment group. Illinois' NRA guy claims that the law should only limit 26" OAL's to those people, and not the other people that are allowed to possess them, which is C&R holders.

So far the ATF's taken the position that <26" OAL's are not allowed to be possessed in Illinois by anyone.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    I moved here from IL. The laws are a mess. Join Illinoiscarry.com post and PM Todd Vandermyde. He is the NRA lobbyist in IL, see what he recommends you do. There was a bill that was passed in Illinois allowing C&R holders to register SBR's, and I know a few people whom were able to do it with no issues. Since the ATF approved it I wouldn't worry about it too much, but with that said...remember it is ILLINOIS and if you are driving through CHICAGO I would be very cautious about taking it.

Top Bottom