• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    In our desire to switch to waterborne paints, we had to make a decision of whether to upgrade our existing booth or to upgrade to a new booth.
    Since we bought our currant one over used over 15 years ago we decided it was time to get a new one.

Over the next 3 weeks our old booth will be coming down and a new Garmat booth will be setup that is designed to work with waterborne paint right out of the box.

Goodbye old friend you have served us well

Picture067.jpg

Last edited:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If it could only talk! You definitely got your moneys worth out of it. You still have the booth near the break room right?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    yes I do, so that will help us keep running over the next 3 weeks.
    Someone from Minnesota has bought my old booth and will be coming down next week to take it down and haul it back with them. So it will still be used again.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I'll bet the gun guys are happy to see a new booth. I always loved shooting in a new clean booth. Heck with the w/sand & buff. LOL!
    Congrats on the booth btw. Keeping up with the times is a must.
    I sprayed a buddy's car yesterday morning in my barn. Dust wasn't bad but the lighting sucks. I wish I'd used a well lit booth. Old eyes need good light.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I'll bet the gun guys are happy to see a new booth. I always loved shooting in a new clean booth. Heck with the w/sand & buff. LOL!
    Congrats on the booth btw. Keeping up with the times is a must.
    I sprayed a buddy's car yesterday morning in my barn. Dust wasn't bad but the lighting sucks. I wish I'd used a well lit booth. Old eyes need good light.

Funny and yes my painters and banker are happy about the upgrade :) and me too.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Some of the progress toward the new booth

After booth has been removed and working on putting a pit in the floor so the new booth won't be on a "basement" to be down draft.

DSC02952.jpg

DSC02953.jpg

DSC02955.jpg

DSC02954.jpg

New booth arrived about noon Thursday and here is what they put up in the afternoon

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    very nice! so what difference is there between a booth for waterborne paints?? That one "looks" like every other down draft booth Ive ever used. (which is a grand total of 2) ;)

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    very nice! so what difference is there between a booth for waterborne paints?? That one "looks" like every other down draft booth Ive ever used. (which is a grand total of 2) ;)

:)

Waterborne requires more air flow, other than that this is the same as any other downdraft the only difference will be that it will have air flow capacity already built in. Plus it will be more efficient all around
    If I was to upgrade my old booth I would have had to add air jets or additional fans. Since the old one was 30 years old we opted to go new and this is 3 feet longer and a little wider.

Also now I will finally have an enclosed paint mixing room.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Progressing slowly but it is looking nice.
    Partially lit up

DSC02976.jpg

Mixing room in the back corner

DSC02975.jpg

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    What is the difference between the water borne paint and what you were using previously? Oil based? Difference in quality?

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Well this has certainly been an exercise in patience. this started over a month ago and the booth is still not being used. Frustrating, but I am close. waiting on a final inspection from the local Fire Marshall. I gave up on posting progress photos since the progress was really slow.

Anyway Clay pretty much nailed it on the waterborne it is slowly becoming a federal mandate.
    But on the practical side coverage is supposed to be better using less material and faster. Also our paint rep says it has better color matches or more vibrant like some of the newer colors out there.
    We'll see.

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Of the cars that I have seen that were painted with water based paint, it looks good. Definitely has some pop. This is definitely a necro-post, haven't been on here in a long time.

Top Bottom