• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    You read it right, AR-15 in .223 killing it at 1000 yards, I think he would have done better but we were laughing pretty hard it was so much fun. The trace had so much trajectory it barely fit in my spotting scopes FOV.

Congrats to Nathan for showing me how it's done at the Marine Corp match yesterday, I didn't know it could look so easy.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Service rifle, or scoped service rifle? Great shooting either way! 6 Xs, and some combination that basically adds up to two tens and 12 nines. That is pretty good. Were you spotting for him? Care to talk us through how that string unfolded?

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    Iron sited service rifle, shooting 80 jlk's. I was spotting, I had to laugh because the trace was so extreme. The string got better the more he shot, first ten really was getting over the shock that it worked and trusting it, 91-1x. The second string he really found the X ring and made it look easy, 97-5X. It was perfect conditions, but at the end of a long day of shooting. He earned it for sure.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You read it right, AR-15 in .223 killing it at 1000 yards, I think he would have done better but we were laughing pretty hard it was so much fun. The trace had so much trajectory it barely fit in my spotting scopes FOV.

Congrats to Nathan for showing me how it's done at the Marine Corp match yesterday, I didn't know it could look so easy.

Wish I'd stuck around to see that! Talking to Nathan before the match it sounds like he's done a fair amount of study before Saturday. For instance, how does one figure out the math that if you set your AR's elevation to six hundred yards and then crank down your front sight post one full rotation you'll be on paper at 1,000 yds. (now watch everybody with access to a 1K range run out and try it).

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Wow regardless of your answer, but what is a marine corp match?

NRA Regional Match Course with a 20 shot for record match @ 1,000 yds just for fun (it's the Marines, love the punishment). For those that don't know, NRA Regional Course Match is described here: Courses of Fire

Everyone gets their turn running targets:
    Atterbury7-2014small_zpsd70d098f.jpg

Last edited:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Iron sited service rifle, shooting 80 jlk's. I was spotting, I had to laugh because the trace was so extreme. The string got better the more he shot, first ten really was getting over the shock that it worked and trusting it, 91-1x. The second string he really found the X ring and made it look easy, 97-5X. It was perfect conditions, but at the end of a long day of shooting. He earned it for sure.

That just blows my mind....:)

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is scored as a Ten on the target. For those who may have not been in the pits before.

? The shot placement disc would be black or white depending what color makes contrast. It looks to me like the orange value disc is showing a "9". or did I miss something?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This is scored as a Ten on the target. For those who may have not been in the pits before.

? The shot placement disc would be black or white depending what color makes contrast. It looks to me like the orange value disc is showing a "9". or did I miss something?

In 2012 the NRA changed the way you mark scores on the target (purportedly after some buffoon got his hand shot while reaching for a disk on the top of the target). Here's how it's done today:

2012_Scoring_System_CIHPRS_zps4e040ac8.jpg

I was not scoring for Nathan. This is a pic from earlier in the day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom