• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Recently bought my wife this rifle and attempted to run some 17 HMR dummy(snap caps) rounds through it but the rounds refuses to load into the gun. Side by side with actual ammo, they seem about the same without getting my caliper out.... anybody else experiencing or have experienced this issue? If so, what's the fix?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Are you trying a full mag or single?
    I've read somewhere the springs can be installed backwards from factory, so maybe take apart and flip em.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    tweaked the magazine enough that I can cycle all 5 round through...first two or 3 round, I may have to push the bolt forwards twice for it to load a round. I'm gonna have to get a new magazine, this one is junk. Savage was going to send me one, however, they are out of stock

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    For this model Savage, magazines have never been it's strong suit. Quite a bit of info over on Rimfire Central. Over the years, I just bought about a dozen mags, to end up with about 5 that work. Someday I'll look at the other seven and see if I can tweak them.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    For this model Savage, magazines have never been it's strong suit. Quite a bit of info over on Rimfire Central. Over the years, I just bought about a dozen mags, to end up with about 5 that work. Someday I'll look at the other seven and see if I can tweak them.

I'm at top guns in terre haute right, picking up two stainless magazines... we'll see how it goes. Savage did say they would reimburse me for at least one of them

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Great little round with an awesome punch.

Yes, I know everybody says the 17 is actually better, but I'm matching another WMR in my safe and dont want yet ANOTHER round in my ammo cabinet. WMR does well for what I need.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Yep. Great little round with an awesome punch.

Yes, I know everybody says the 17 is actually better, but I'm matching another WMR in my safe and dont want yet ANOTHER round in my ammo cabinet. WMR does well for what I need.
    Make sense... I never shot an 17 hmr or the 22 WMR. We were looking for a 22LR at cabela's but they only had this or one of the crickets

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Make sense... I never shot an 17 hmr or the 22 WMR. We were looking for a 22LR at cabela's but they only had this or one of the crickets
    The 17 is a nice round. Nice and flat, and lots of punch for larger critters. Not as cheap as LR, but a better round.

Check out the guys at USDS down there. They can special order anything you guys want. Especially in 22LR. If they can get it, you'll get it at a good price.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The 17 is a nice round. Nice and flat, and lots of punch for larger critters. Not as cheap as LR, but a better round.

Check out the guys at USDS down there. They can special order anything you guys want. Especially in 22LR. If they can get it, you'll get it at a good price.
    The new store in Columbus? We've been meaning to go there, maybe we will go tomorrow. I did have some temptation of picking up a savage rascal....cool looking gun for the kids, $369 iirc

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The new store in Columbus? We've been meaning to go there, maybe we will go tomorrow. I did have some temptation of picking up a savage rascal....cool looking gun for the kids, $369 iirc
    I shop the store up in Greenwood, and know the owners. Chad and Mike are great. Their team will really take care of you.

How young? I started mine out with a 10/22, which was a little too front heavy. After swapping the stock for one of these, it lightened it up enough for them to use at 8YO.

Today both kids still have their own 10/22s and hopefully will have them for life. (instead of a tiny kids rifle that they outgrow.) Actually my 12yo will probably switch to her wood stock this year. Hers still has the Axiom on it because she likes how light it is. (I do too, honestly LOL)

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I shop the store up in Greenwood, and know the owners. Chad and Mike are great. Their team will really take care of you.

How young? I started mine out with a 10/22, which was a little too front heavy. After swapping the stock for one of these, it lightened it up enough for them to use at 8YO.

Today both kids still have their own 10/22s and hopefully will have them for life. (instead of a tiny kids rifle that they outgrow.) Actually my 12yo will probably switch to her wood stock this year. Hers still has the Axiom on it because she likes how light it is. (I do too, honestly LOL)
    my kids ages range from 5 to 12....that rascal is a junior size and not very front heavy i don't think, but a cool feature is the end can unscrew and you can put a suppressor on it. I had a 10/22, found it can be picky with magazines(non-stock magazines). Maybe we'll get one of those if they are still decent

Top Bottom