• ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    :dunno:
    This guy did:

I get what you are saying that politics is political and people don't always vote their principles. But when they play the game on a regular basis, their spoken more than practiced principles sound a lot like lip service.

If Santorum was elected President, which Rick do we get? Is it the contraception is an important policy issue Rick, the personally opposes but won't move to further limit contraception Rick, the support No Child Left Behind Rick, the I'm gonna repeal No Child Left Behind Rick, the defrauded Penn Hills School Corp out of $72,000 Rick, the get Federal government and even state government out of education Rick, the repeatedly vote for debt ceiling increases and unbalanced budgets Rick, the says he's gonna balance our budget Rick, the most lobbyist funded politician of 2006 Rick, or the I am going to make cuts to government and bailouts are bad Rick?

I need to know which Rick we're voting for. I truly believe that our country has been sliding downhill for some time (more than just the last 3 years) and I want educate myself as much as possible because I don't want my kids (or Rick's kids) to have pay anymore than what they are already on the hook for for our mistakes.

No, that guy didn't say voting record doesn't matter. He (OK, I) said that a 20 year OLD voting record doesn't matter as much as current stances and recent history. I also said that I don't necessarily look at a single vote in total isolation without examining and considering the circumstances and issues at the time. The world is not black and white, and I did things 20 years ago I would not do today. If at a previous point in time I was wrong or my thought process has evolved how can I expect that others haven't evolved as well?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO

Excellent points and arguments.

When Ron Paul wins the Republican Nomination, we can test these theories.

(Dude, we should be a team. You're getting me the ball just at the height of my jump, right in the hands.)

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    I'll never understand the value of voting a "republican" in office that only gives lip service to conservative values when running for president but then abandons them and the constitution while in office.

Big spender Bush was detrimental to the Republican party... look at the 08 election results. Thankfully two years of Obama woke people up and gave us good results in 2010. If we put another big spender, warmonger, civil rights destroying, constitution ignoring, liberal republican in office, the public will turn on all Republicans again. Give me Ron Paul. If Obama beats him (which I doubt) then it is better to have Obama and the Democrats be in the white house and take the blame when the dollar inevitably crashes rather than a fake Republican.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I'll never understand the value of voting a "republican" in office that only gives lip service to conservative values when running for president but then abandons them and the constitution while in office.

Big spender Bush was detrimental to the Republican party... look at the 08 election results. Thankfully two years of Obama woke people up and gave us good results in 2010. If we put another big spender, warmonger, civil rights destroying, constitution ignoring, liberal republican in office, the public will turn on all Republicans again. Give me Ron Paul. If Obama beats him (which I doubt) then it is better to have Obama and the Democrats be in the white house and take the blame when the dollar inevitably crashes rather than a fake Republican.

You've convinced me. Give me Ron Paul, too.

Cool. Now that we've got Ron Paul, let's start working on his campaign against Obama.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I could see Paul winning Wyoming. That's not a joke, I could really see it.

Wyoming is what Colorado was when I was a kid.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    Correct. With Ron Paul, you know you're getting someone else as President.

Isn't that the same thing that you get with the rest of the field of candidates?

They don't seem like the same people in office that they claim to be on the campaign trail.

Which Mitt is Mitt?
    Which Rick is Rick?
    Which Newt is Newt?
    Which Barack is Barack?
    Which Hyde is Jekyll?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Isn't that the same thing that you get with the rest of the field of candidates?

They don't seem like the same people in office that they claim to be on the campaign trail.

Which Mitt is Mitt?
    Which Rick is Rick?
    Which Newt is Newt?
    Which Barack is Barack?
    Which Hyde is Jekyll?

Well, the difference is that one or another version of those guys is going to be President. No version of Ron Paul is going to be President.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Well, the difference is that one or another version of those guys is going to be President. No version of Ron Paul is going to be President.

Just curious, what facts lead you to this conclusion?

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    In a cornfield
    No, that guy didn't say voting record doesn't matter. He (OK, I) said that a 20 year OLD voting record doesn't matter as much as current stances and recent history. I also said that I don't necessarily look at a single vote in total isolation without examining and considering the circumstances and issues at the time. The world is not black and white, and I did things 20 years ago I would not do today. If at a previous point in time I was wrong or my thought process has evolved how can I expect that others haven't evolved as well?

I agree that any single vote doesn't matter, but what about a pile of single votes added together? Politics is a game, so people might feel the need to shelf their principles every great once and a while...

And it's nice to see that people can change their mind if they are wrong about something (look at how all the candidates have been talking up various Ron Paul points that they used to not agree with).

I guess I just don't see Santorum and his "courage" that he used to describe himself last night shining through on the principled votes he has made.

I do believe he is conservative... He's hands down the most socially conservative guy in the race. He seems very interested in what types of sex consenting adults should be having. Other than some of his recent words, I don't really see where he is this mythical fiscal conservative. Sure he is more fiscally conservative than President Obama, but if we are truly looking for a fiscal conservative that might not mean much. It's no different than bragging up how my chaps have a lot more substance too them than my thong. The problem is though that at the end of the day neither one of them covers my ass.

Top Bottom