Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Still no where near the same as for those that work around children regularly.
    Talk to a cybercrimes detective sometime. I speak to one about ever 3 to 6 months. They'll tell you that what you surmise there is 100% false. Not saying it isn't a HUGE problem, because it is. But your dog don't hunt when comparing it to crimes against children that begin on the web.

Would you like to take a wild guess who the most likely perpetrators of sexual abuse are? It ain't the web, school, or church. (Which again, is still a huge problem). It is by friends and relatives. And it happens right in the kid's own home. Sadly, in my world, I deal with this many, many times a year.

But what you claim about the use of social media/games grossly underestimates it. Horribly underestimates it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Talk to a cybercrimes detective sometime. I speak to one about ever 3 to 6 months. They'll tell you that what you surmise there is 100% false. Not saying it isn't a HUGE problem, because it is. But your dog don't hunt when comparing it to crimes against children that begin on the web.

Would you like to take a wild guess who the most likely perpetrators of sexual abuse are? It ain't the web, school, or church. (Which again, is still a huge problem). It is by friends and relatives. And it happens right in the kid's own home. Sadly, in my world, I deal with this many, many times a year.

But what you claim about the use of social media/games grossly underestimates it. Horribly underestimates it.
    Wait. Is the issue strangers on the web or friends and family at home?

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    The percentage of priests (4) is about half that of teachers (7) per the article quoted in the post.
    I see that I missed that. I was more concerned about showing that there many sources of abusers. The percentage of violating teachers could be as low as 5% or about equal to violating priests. Yet, the media makes a bigger deal of priests' violations, as if there was no problem elsewhere. Regardless of who commits the assault, it is a terrible act.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

This is a part of your job that many do not think about. I cannot imagine how I would deal with this.
    Well, I know how I would hence I distance myself from it.
    My sister hooked up with such a creature years back when her kids were young. Daughter was 8th grade. I never trusted him and was open about my mistrust. Unfortunately, it proved true. And no, I did not handle it well. But any amount of pain one can put on such a sloven creature is never enough, yet I gave it a good shot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well if anyone needs "Blasting" it is her. All 350+ pounds of her.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Wait. Is the issue strangers on the web or friends and family at home?
    Both. But by a long shot family in the home. The sexual predation of children is a pandemic.

But it's pretty clear you don't deal with this directly. You read about it and then make guestimations based on the perceptions you have. While I have to deal with it directly, knowing personally the children victimized by it.

I'm done here but just wanted to make clear that you don't have a concept of where and how kids are victimized the most.

Whether you like the Catholic church or not, that clergyman is absolutely 100% correct in blasting Pelosi. And I'm not a Catholic. But when the guy is right, he's right, whether a Catholic, or not. He's on solid ground with his stance, IMHO.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    This is a part of your job that many do not think about. I cannot imagine how I would deal with this.
    Well, I know how I would hence I distance myself from it.
    My sister hooked up with such a creature years back when her kids were young. Daughter was 8th grade. I never trusted him and was open about my mistrust. Unfortunately, it proved true. And no, I did not handle it well. But any amount of pain one can put on such a sloven creature is never enough, yet I gave it a good shot.
    It is something you can never prepare for. And the hard part is the knowledge that we only discover a fraction of what is actually occurring. I have no doubt that for every case we know about, there are a number that we don't and won't know about while those kids are continually damaged and suffer in silence.

One of the worst cases was where a well intentioned but VERY ignorant mom allowed a 21 year old homeless guy into her home where he conned her 12 year old girl into a sex. We discovered it when she bragged to a friend that she had a 21 year old boyfriend and introduced him to her. The friend came to me and told me she was concerned. I kept the girl at school and called Mom in. She was shocked to find this out. While talking to her, the guy showed up AT MY OFFICE. I put the girl and her mom under the protection of an assistant principal who hid them in a room in the building. He went on to admit to me what he had done, said he was sorry and begged me not to report him. I told him to wait a minute while I had to take care of something outside the office. I called the police and came back and kept him talking until they arrived in force. (Yes, he was that stupid.) When they led him away, he told me he would hunt me down and kill me and my family when he got out. He spent about 5 years in jail, including a couple for sending her a letter asking for money and promising to get back with her when he got out. Eventually, he got out. It doesn't bother me except on occasion when I think about how I'm unable to be armed at work. But that's just the deal.

I could tell you 10 more stories similar to that one. And for my critic here in this thread, yes, most of the perpetrators are relatives. A number were brought into kids' lives through social media or games, and that's a growing threat. Fast growing. None of them were clergy. One attempt was made by a teacher who was terminated and who we believe did not reach the point where he physically harmed a child. But he was grooming, for sure. And again, I'm not at all saying it is not a problem in those two professions. But I am absolutely saying it is not where the majority of the abuse occurs. I am also saying that the perpetrators come from ALL walks of life. No profession is immune from having a child predator in its midst. If someone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it, but I'd be very skeptical.

Guys, I've been an educator for about 28 years. I've got stories that I don't want to tell because I don't want to relive them. And sadly, I'm highly familiar with children who have been abused. And they are all kids who I love and want to protect, but many times feel like it is very hard to do. So we just do the best we can and then go home and hug our own children at night and say lots of prayers.

Last edited:

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    are you ****ing kidding me? What kind of ******** question is that? What part of "non-numbers" is too difficult for your brain to understand?
    You cannot state numbers cancel each other out without know the details of those numbers. Otherwise you’re spouting . Clearly your brain is the issue. Nice insult. We’re done

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You cannot state numbers cancel each other out without know the details of those numbers. Otherwise you’re spouting . Clearly your brain is the issue. Nice insult. We’re done
    I did not see an insult IMHO. I did see a short cut around the filter which will be ignored. Your remarks to him were just a bit north of his but seriously guys.

Now, fellas ease up. Seriously. This is another hot button topic that some just should not be involved in the conversation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It is something you can never prepare for. And the hard part is the knowledge that we only discover a fraction of what is actually occurring. I have no doubt that for every case we know about, there are a number that we don't and won't know about while those kids are continually damaged and suffer in silence.

One of the worst cases was where a well intentioned but VERY ignorant mom allowed a 21 year old homeless guy into her home where he conned her 12 year old girl into a sex. We discovered it when she bragged to a friend that she had a 21 year old boyfriend and introduced him to her. The friend came to me and told me she was concerned. I kept the girl at school and called Mom in. She was shocked to find this out. While talking to her, the guy showed up AT MY OFFICE. I put the girl and her mom under the protection of an assistant principal who hid them in a room in the building. He went on to admit to me what he had done, said he was sorry and begged me not to report him. I told him to wait a minute while I had to take care of something outside the office. I called the police and came back and kept him talking until they arrived in force. (Yes, he was that stupid.) When they led him away, he told me he would hunt me down and kill me and my family when he got out. He spent about 5 years in jail, including a couple for sending her a letter asking for money and promising to get back with her when he got out. Eventually, he got out. It doesn't bother me except on occasion when I think about how I'm unable to be armed at work. But that's just the deal.

I could tell you 10 more stories similar to that one. And for my critic here in this thread, yes, most of the perpetrators are relatives. A number were brought into kids' lives through social media or games, and that's a growing threat. Fast growing. None of them were clergy. One attempt was made by a teacher who was terminated and who we believe did not reach the point where he physically harmed a child. But he was grooming, for sure. And again, I'm not at all saying it is not a problem in those two professions. But I am absolutely saying it is not where the majority of the abuse occurs. I am also saying that the perpetrators come from ALL walks of life. No profession is immune from having a child predator in its midst. If someone knows of one, I'd love to hear about it, but I'd be very skeptical.

Guys, I've been an educator for about 28 years. I've got stories that I don't want to tell because I don't want to relive them. And sadly, I'm highly familiar with children who have been abused. And they are all kids who I love and want to protect, but many times feel like it is very hard to do. So we just do the best we can and then go home and hug our own children at night and say lots of prayers.
    Thanks for sharing this. Direct involvement in this has to be mind numbing.
    I know a LEO that worked the child abuse squad. He did it for a few more years past avg burn out and paid the price. He shared a few things with me when the beer loosened us up. I had a lot of respect for him. Not seen him in a number of years.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Thanks for sharing this. Direct involvement in this has to be mind numbing.
    I know a LEO that worked the child abuse squad. He did it for a few more years past avg burn out and paid the price. He shared a few things with me when the beer loosened us up. I had a lot of respect for him. Not seen him in a number of years.
    Fortunately, I don't get to see as much as a detective like that. When they get involved they get into the details that sometimes, thankfully, we don't get into. My hat's off to the men and women in law enforcement that have to uncover the horrible details and damage. Much of my job, thankfully, is very enjoyable and involves happy times with kids and their families, and it keeps my mind off the tough stuff.

I can only imagine that everyone has a limit of what they can stomach. I don't know where mine is and don't want to find out.

Top Bottom