• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Wow, they even offered to pay for it before they left the store and they called the cops anyway. Not sure how the laws work over there, but here you haven't stolen anything until you have left the store.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I saw this story on the news yesterday. I was astonished at what I saw as massive overreaction by management. Who can honestly say they have never left a store without paying for something accidentally? As an example, a few months back, while grocery shopping, I picked up an economy sized bag of pet food and put it on the bottom rack of the cart. I finished my shopping, checked out and headed out to the car. It was only after loading up that I realized I had forgotten about the dog food. I ran back into the store and went to the courtesy desk and paid for it. I just explained that I had forgotten about it. We made the transaction and that was it. No cops, no FBI, no swat raid on my home to sieze the alleged contraband. I'm human and made a mistake. Some people take themselves way too seriously.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    they "may not have handled the matter the best way" indeed.

I wish I could say I was astonished by this sort of over-reacting behavior, but I'm not anymore.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    There is no discernment any more.
    Not in church, not in law enforcement, not in schools, now not in stores.
    It is so disappointing.
    I recall when people could judge a situation and respond appropriately.
    Any reasonable person would give a pregnant woman the benefit of the doubt (especially anyone who has lived with a pregnant woman :) ).

I think this lack of discernment can be attributed to the new zero tolerance mindset. This store is operating under the rule that once someone has left the store with unpaid for merchandise, they are shoplifting by definition. Well, by definition they are. But, there is no leeway for someone forgetting to pay for (as has been stated) the dog food or the carton of cola on the bottom of the cart. The store has decided that it doesn't want to just be paid for all the groceries, it wants to be vindictive to any one who would have the audacity to try and steal from them. Sometimes that vindictiveness is called for but sometimes not. To decide whether to press charges or not in any given situation would require someone to actually judge the situation. No one wants to take responsibility for that!
    Combine this zero tolerance with a generally lowered moral standard (i.e. some pregnant women are as likely to steal as any street thug) and you have a perfect storm for respectable families to be harassed for doing basically nothing wrong.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Is it me or does this just not make any sense? There must be more to the story than what was in the article. Perhaps there was a racial element here? Why would you call the cops on people that offer to pay for something that really looks just like a mistake.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A long time ago I worked in a place where we all brought our lunches in brown paper bags and put them in the community fridge. We had a jerk that would just randomly reach in and grab a lunch and eat it. I made a nice Crisco and alum powder sandwich with lettuce on it and that was the last time the SOB ate my lunch.

Top Bottom