• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Hey guys I'm looking to join the silencer club and was at the NRA convention and was going to all the silencer booths and was sold quite effectively on the Saker 7.62. My goal is to stay under a grand on any silencer I purchase.

Main Concerns:

1. I want it to be versatile. Work on multiple weapons.
    2. User serviceable prefered
    3. Lifetime warrany (If I'm going to dump money somthing into somthing I won't be able to sell easily it better last!)
    4. I'd like to be able to shoot repetitively. I was almost sold on titanium until I found that heat was an issue.
    5. I'd like it to have minimal affect on poi but if poi. I'm assuming that poi is affected based on if the silencer is on vs if its off. Not per shot basis.
    6. I'd like it to be as quiet as possible but I'll be using it to hunt target shoot etc.

This will be my first silencer so if there's any big concerns on choosing that I'm overlooking please chime in.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just picked up (pending BIG NFA wait times) a Saker 762 from SilencerShop. I think it'll be a great can.

Let me try to address your concerns:

1. Versatility. The Saker will work on any .30 rifle or smaller, up to .300 Remington Ultra Mag. You can also use it on 5.56. It's probably one of the more versatile cans on the market. The Saker has user-replaceable endcaps and if you put the endcap from a 556 Saker on it, it's as quiet or quieter with 5.56 ammo than the purpose built 556 Saker.

2. User serviceability: I don't feel like this is necessary on a centerfire rifle can. Centerfire rifles don't really contribute a whole lot of fouling to a can. By the time it would have an effect on sound suppression, you would have fired MANY, MANY thousand rounds of ammo through it. The only caveat is if you plan on shooting cast bullets. There are very few centerfire serviceable cans on the market, and the ones that do exist are HEAVY and not as quiet. I would never recommend someone buying a centerfire rifle can (especially 30 cal) planning to shoot .22 through it. WAY to heavy and long, IMO.

3. Lifetime warranty: SilencerCo has what many feel is the best customer service in the suppressor market. Most suppressor companies have lifetime warranties, but some have better CS than others. SilencerCo is the best.

4. Most centerfire rifle cans out there are rated for semi-auto fire. This shouldn't be an issue as long as you stay away from Ti and precision shooting-oriented cans.

5. The Saker has a quick-attach mount. The least POI shift is usually determined by the barrel, suppressor design and mount. AAC's 51 tooth mount can have looser tolerances with certain suppressors on certain mounts. Some have complained of excessive POI shift. The Saker's mount looks to be a lot more solid, which will help to address this issue. The least POI-impacting mount is direct thread. I like direct-threads on bolt guns, but prefer QD on semi-auto rifles, and especially if you have several rifles you want to suppress. The Saker also has a direct-thread back endcap available if you want to go that route. The one thing to consider is that any POI shift is usually repeatable. It shouldn't shift from shot-to-shot, but you'll most likely have one POI without the suppressor, and a different one with. Sight it in for whichever scenario you would use more (on or off) and adjust for the other.
    6. If you're looking for quieter, the SilencerCo Specwar is a bit quieter than the Saker. The trade-off is 1 1/2" in length and 4 oz. in weight. If these issues don't concern you, I'd look at that can, otherwise I think the Saker is a great choice. Also, the Specwar is $140 cheaper.

It's always best to try to hear the cans for yourself and pick the combination of features and sound that most appeal to you. Unfortunately, the Saker is a brand new can, so there's not going to be many of them in the wild to hear.

I was initially looking at the AAC 762-SDN-6, but the concerns with the mount (I feel that the Saker's mounting system is superior and more versatile), the cheaper prices of the Silencerco flash hiders and brakes ($80 for a Silencerco flash hider, $90 for AAC; $80 for Silencerco brake, $140 for AAC) and SilencerCo's reputation for customer service (I also own a Octane and they've upgraded it twice for me, free of charge both times) won me over.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Well now you have me looking at the two. After researching the Specwar it appears that the main advantage of the Saker is its versatile mount. Am I right to assume that the Saker would be better If I wanted to mount the Saker to lets say a ruger 30-06 bolt action then swap it out for ar-15?

I've also noticed that there seems to be MANY different types of mounting systems. Is it possible to use a single mounting system or would I have to swap out rear end caps every time i changed caliber / rifle?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Saker and Specwar are made from the same materials, but as mentioned the Saker is a little shorter and lighter with more flexible mounting options.

You could easily run the Specwar 762 back and forth from a bolt gun or gas gun.

$180 is the price delta at SilencerShop, who also has some pretty good videos for each the Saker 762 and Specwar 762 if you haven't seen them yet.

Buchanan3514

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2014
    Greenwood
    I've been doing a little research on this topic as well and I'm really liking the look of SilencerCo's Octane 9. I like the idea that it is user serviceable, as well as for about $80 (I think) you can replace the end cap to support various threads, making it easy to switch from firearm to firearm. I'm not looking to suppress anything more than 9mm right now, though I do have plans for an SBR IN 300BLK which the Octane will handle as well. I also like the idea of being able to go from pistol to rifle. At about $850 it seems pretty reasonable. I've just started really looking into it, and I haven't gotten so far as to compare weights and lengths between many of them. The only drawback I could see is that it doesn't seem to handle some of the higher powered .30 cal rounds, but that's not really a concern to me. I've not had the chance to hear the differences firsthand, nor have I had one in my hands. The lack of a QD option is a sacrifice I think I'd be willing to make for the versatility offered, especially if it means I'd only have to buy one can.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    So I keep hearing that the main advantage of the Saker is its versatile mount. Could someone elaborate a little? I'm assuming that you can change to different types of mounts where you may be trapped to one style with the Specwar?

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've been doing a little research on this topic as well and I'm really liking the look of SilencerCo's Octane 9. I like the idea that it is user serviceable, as well as for about $80 (I think) you can replace the end cap to support various threads, making it easy to switch from firearm to firearm. I'm not looking to suppress anything more than 9mm right now, though I do have plans for an SBR IN 300BLK which the Octane will handle as well. I also like the idea of being able to go from pistol to rifle. At about $850 it seems pretty reasonable. I've just started really looking into it, and I haven't gotten so far as to compare weights and lengths between many of them. The only drawback I could see is that it doesn't seem to handle some of the higher powered .30 cal rounds, but that's not really a concern to me. I've not had the chance to hear the differences firsthand, nor have I had one in my hands. The lack of a QD option is a sacrifice I think I'd be willing to make for the versatility offered, especially if it means I'd only have to buy one can.

Check out the Liberty Mystic. If you are interested in some rifle service with your 9mm can, the Mystic can handle both subsonic And supersonic 300 BLK, the Octane only subsonic. It can also handle subsonic 308 Win and regular 5.56, as long as you don't fire too fast. Given the criteria you've stated, this sounds like a great fit for you. My brother in law has one and it's really nice. As close to a do-it-all can as there is out there.

ETA: I own an Octane and am very happy with it and you would be too, but the Mystic would be a bit more suitable for what you are looking to do.

ETA 2: Silencer Shop had the Octane for $559,so don't pay $850. The Mystic runs $609 from them.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So I keep hearing that the main advantage of the Saker is its versatile mount. Could someone elaborate a little? I'm assuming that you can change to different types of mounts where you may be trapped to one style with the Specwar?

The Saker allows you to run it on AAC, SWR, YHM, fixed threads as well as the Saker mount. Some people are already heavily invested in mounts for a particular brand and the Saker allows you to adapt to that system without replacing hundreds of dollars worth of mounts. That's what most mean by versatility.

If you aren't invested in other brands mounts, this isn't really a concern. The only other advantage the Saker had over the Specwar is the 4 Oz and 1.5" and the replaceable front endcaps, which aren't really much of a selling point in my mind. You would be very happy with either can.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    Well I'm on the fence, but would it be lawful to add an extension with more baffles in the future since the end cap is removable. Hypothetical question. Would be an interesting concept.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Well I'm on the fence, but would it be lawful to add an extension with more baffles in the future since the end cap is removable. Hypothetical question. Would be an interesting concept.

Doubtful that it would be lawful. If you got the extension and ever decided to run without it, you would have extra suppressor parts lying around. Extra suppressor parts are a big no no.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009

Doubtful that it would be lawful. If you got the extension and ever decided to run without it, you would have extra suppressor parts lying around. Extra suppressor parts are a big no no.

^This. It's illegal for a non-SOT (Class 3 manufacturer) to have extra supppressor parts lying around and it's also illegal to change the length or caliber of a suppressor.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Another advantage is the solid mount that can be operated with one hand. I have a SpecWar in jail and will be ordering the Saker. You have to be able to access the locking collar on the SpecWar to remove/attach it. Still very solid but not good if you want to have it covered by a handguard. I will also get the direct thread mount for my bolt guns.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I myself am waiting for the AAC SR7 designed with the new 90 tooth ratchet taper system. This mount is rock solid compared to the older 52 tooth. I checked them out at the NRA banquet and they will be hitting the streets in about 4months. This give me time to save my pennies.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    ^This. It's illegal for a non-SOT (Class 3 manufacturer) to have extra supppressor parts lying around and it's also illegal to change the length or caliber of a suppressor.

So how do they manage to run the saker with the 5.56 end cap in some cases to make it quieter?

Also how does the trifecta MAAD module compare to the AAC 51 MAAD Module or in the future the AAC SR7. I know one of the advantages of the trifecta is the elimination of the ping after each shot.

When reviewing silences at the silencer shop, they give me the option for different mounts.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So how do they manage to run the saker with the 5.56 end cap in some cases to make it quieter?

Also how does the trifecta MAAD module compare to the AAC 51 MAAD Module or in the future the AAC SR7. I know one of the advantages of the trifecta is the elimination of the ping after each shot.

When reviewing silences at the silencer shop, they give me the option for different mounts.

Because of the design of the Saker, the endcap is NOT considered a "silencer part." Therefore, you can have extra endcaps. Also, since the endcap is not a "silencer part" and since its installation is not a permanent thing, you are technically not changing the caliber.

The Trifecta MAAD mount is still a better option than the AAC 51 tooth MAAD mount. If you look at the Trifecta flash hider and brakes, they have a taper at the front of the "bulge." This gives a tighter lock-up to the can. Also, the back of the Trifecta MAAD module has three deploying teeth that compress on the cut behind the bulge, giving a more consistent, tighter lockup. Plus it only goes on in one orientation every time due to the shape of the back of the flash hider/brake mating up with a corresponding cut-out in the back of the can.

Here's a pic of the flash hider. You can see the bulge with the taper on the front, the flat behind the bulge and the shape at the back of the flash hider that engages the suppressor for consistent orientation:

Saker_Trifecta_1024x1024.png

The AAC 51 tooth mount has coarse ACME threads up front that the can screws down to and a toothed ratchet that locks it in place. Due to mfg tolerances, there are known complaints about "wobble" and inconsistent POI shift with some can/mount combinations because you tighten down the can and then back it off until you get full engagement between the latch and the mount teeth. Also, when you tighten down the can on the mount, unless you hold the latch down, the latch teeth ratchet on the mount teeth as the silencer is tightened. They've had an issue with improper heat treating of the latches that would cause the teeth on the latch to round-over and basically fail in their job of locking the can on the mount. They've had to replace latches under warranty.

The Silencerco 51 tooth MAAD module improves on the original AAC design in that they basically make the mount work like a Specwar mount. You tighten the can down onto the flash hider, and then turn the locking ring. 2 toothed pieces grip the teeth on the mount right there, and you don't have to worry about backing off to get next full tooth engagement like you do with some AAC can/mount combinations. This should provide for a more solid mount and less POI shift.

Here's the back of the 51 tooth MAAD module. You can see the teeth in their retracted position and imagine how they would engage on a 51 tooth flash hider:
    sco-maad-51t-alt_800.jpg

The 90 tooth mount fixes several problems with the 51 tooth system. There is a taper right behind the ACME threads that gives a more solid, consistent lock-up with the can, and the extra 39 teeth gives a much higher likelihood that you will have full-tooth engagement without backing the can off any. AAC originally introduced this design a few years ago, but upon further testing, carbon fouling between the can and taper would lock the can on the mount and make it super hard to remove. They've redesigned things, most likely geometry of the taper and the can so as to eliminate this problem. This should fix the "wobble" problem. Because of the finer teeth on the mount, the latch will also have much finer teeth. It remains to be seen how susceptible the new design is to tooth-damage, either on the mount or as with the 51 tooth system, on the latch.

I really like SilencerCo's design on the Trifecta mount. The other benefit to the Saker system is that if another company, or SilencerCo themselves comes out with a superior mount system, they should be able to make a MAAD module for it, so you could use the new design on existing Saker cans.

Top Bottom