• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm always seeing in the For Sale forums things like, "...I never use it, it's a safe queen" or "It's too pretty to shoot, it's a safe queen...." I see other threads in other forums referencing the same. I do not have any safe queens. I own a few handguns and a few long guns and none of them are immune from service. I have my favorites that get more shots down range but all of them get used.

I haven't paid more than $600 for a handgun, but I'm pretty sure if I spend $1000 or $2000 on a really nice gun I'm going to use it like any other gun I have. In fact at that price I better use it a lot.

Anyone else immune to safe queens?

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    I have a WW2 Inland M1 Carbine (1943), with high sentimental value that is a pseudo safe queen. My dad bought it at a 1500 show for $250 when I was a teen (was with him). The gun is in nearly perfect condition & he only fired it a couple times (that I remember). My father passed away three years ago & I inherited his collection.
    The M1 Carbine doesn't see much use (compared to the rest), but once a year I take it, and my dad's favorite black powder revolver out (Remington 1858 replica) & put a few rounds down range in honor of my dad.
    He was my range buddy & God do I miss him!

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Older or sentimental firearms I could understand keeping them in your safe as a cool thing to say you own or to pass on to your kids. However, I do not own any safe queens or sentimental firearms.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    There are a couple/few guns I'll inherit from my grandpa which will be safe queens. He enjoyed the collecting aspect of gun ownership and didn't shoot much. That being said, there are a couple of nice guns that have never been fired in his collection...I intend to keep it that way when I get them. There are also some older shotguns that have sentimental value to me (us) that are not worth much as far as dollars, but mean the world to me in terms of 'value'...I'll probably never shoot those either, as I have newer, nicer guns that would be more fun shooting.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Older or sentimental firearms I could understand keeping them in your safe as a cool thing to say you own or to pass on to your kids. However, I do not own any safe queens or sentimental firearms.

You can ask anyone that knows me.... If i don't use a gun within a 365 day time period i sell it. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Exactly how I feel. I already sold a few of my fathers guns & replaced them with ones I liked/wanted.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a late 80s Model 60 marlin. My dad bought it for me. Its a safe queen. Would I shoot it? Yes. Its just not in my list of prefered guns to go plinking with. I prefer my lever action Henry .22. Other than that a single shot .410 my grandpa gave me. Never fired it....not sure what I'd use it for. He never fired it either(long story).

Other than that...most everything gets shot on occasion. At least every couple years.

I do have a 1871 Smith and Wesson in .44 S&W in my safe that I'd love to shoot. :) Find me ammo for it! the 8 rounds I have are almost a 100 yrs old I think....I think they're worth more in their corroded lead state. :)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    If I had something that was passed down, sure. Other than that I will not own a gun I don't regularly shoot. I do have a couple that see more use during particular seasons. My sub-compact goes to the range once in a while during the winter but sees a lot more use during the summer. My full size sees a lot more use during the winter.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Likewise, no "safe queens" here either. I try to keep consciously aware of that little voice that tells me I should have this or that because I want it, not because I need or will use it. But there are SOOO many cool pistols out there! Someone warned me when I was first getting into shooting that getting your first gun is like getting your first tattoo, more will surely follow. No tattoos here, but I am trying to make sure I don't cross the line into indulgence... for me, having something for the sake of having it but never using it is tempting, but not a habit I want to start.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I won't say that I'm immune to safe queens but I've certainly got a good number that won't get as much use as some of the others in my collection simply due to rifle size. It's fun to pull out a .375 H&H mag once in a while but it certainly doesn't get regular use. It's hard enough to have time to shoot my EDC's on a regular basis much less some of the larger rifles in my collection.

.375 H&H mag
    300 Win mag
    300 Ultra mag
    7mm mag

These bad boys don't come out to play very often...too many mouths to feed and they have a particularly expensive palate!

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in .338 win mag that I purchased new in the early 1980s. I have never shot it. Mostly because I never put a scope on it until recently. There is a scope on it now, but still, I have yet to fire it. It is in immaculate condition, just like the day I bought it. I am considering selling it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have any intentional safe queens, but no one gun gets shot a lot. Just rotating through them a few at a time takes awhile. If I lived someplace where I could step out the back door and shoot, they'd all see a lot more use.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    No safe queens but I'm way behind on range time. Two Ed Brown's need broken in, Remington R1 Enhanced, SR1911, GP100 Talo .357 and a Uberti 1866 Yellowboy.
    All need lots of rounds through them. I may need a semi to take the ammo to the range. :dunno:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I don't have any intentional safe queens, but no one gun gets shot a lot. Just rotating through them a few at a time takes awhile. If I lived someplace where I could step out the back door and shoot, they'd all see a lot more use.

This is my case as well. I do have a few "Qeens", not for the sake of keeping them that way. I just like to shoot the guns that are already dirty, instead of feeling like I have to clean my entire collection. Right now I have 6 "dirty" guns, just waiting for the next range opportunity. Of those 6, 2 or 3 will get cleaned, then I will rotate 2 or 3 others into my "range guns" for a year or so.

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    In general I believe if you own a firearm it should be used. I do have a couple that break that rule though, mainly because they are quite old and not safe to fire (although I'm hoping to resurrect them sometime). After all the whole purpose of the firearm is to be shot!

Which reminds me of this:

Sheldon's dream with Little Spock - The Big Bang Theory - YouTube

(although it didn't turn out too well for Sheldon)

Top Bottom