• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    So I decided to get "my side" of the basement refinished. Turn it into a nice place for me to work. I decided that I would paint the floor. I have half of it done but in order to finish the other half I have to move my gun safe. Dude weighs a ton. I'm trying to figure out how to move it to the painted floor side without scratching the paint. Went to the rent all place to see if they had a pallet jack with non marking wheels. no good. so now I'm at plan "B" and I have no idea what that is.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Go to Home Depot and buy 2 10' sections of 3/4 inch black pipe. Get it home and cut it into 2' lengths. Raise the safe and place 3 under it, place the others in front of it in the direction you want to move. As you roll the safe forward exposing the rear most pipe just move it to the front of the line.

I have moved equipment and machines weighing in at several tons with this method.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I moved my 1800+ # safe using a pair of these that I borrowed from work. They rock! They don't have non-marring wheels, but you could always lay down some thin plywood to roll them over.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So I decided to get "my side" of the basement refinished. Turn it into a nice place for me to work. I decided that I would paint the floor. I have half of it done but in order to finish the other half I have to move my gun safe. Dude weighs a ton. I'm trying to figure out how to move it to the painted floor side without scratching the paint. Went to the rent all place to see if they had a pallet jack with non marking wheels. no good. so now I'm at plan "B" and I have no idea what that is.

Lay down some old paneling, 1/4 plywood, old carpet or runner type floor protectors. Use a professional hand truck and strap it to the safe.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    If you don't mind driving to martinsville In A Pinch rental has a pallet jack and a johnson bar. Johnson bars are a 6 foot crowbar with two metal wheels that really help when moving safes.

mktcbb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    go get five guys from Bedford and pay them $2.00 each. They could pick it up and move. How is my barrel bushing coming?

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    The rolling pipe method gets my vote. I successfully moved an old shed for grandma with this method-it was steel sides and steel frame with wooden floor-that was some serious weight.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Pipe method works well or get a couple of these (furniture dolly). They cost anywhere from 20-40 or so for a set.
    base_media

I've used them before, including for an old player piano with a cast iron frame. Once it was on them it was a piece of cake to move and most of them have non marring wheels. When my buddy had his safe delivered it came on one oversized one of these. And it is a heavy one, I think the door alone weighs about 900lbs.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Seal the safe door shut, flood your basement until the safe starts to float. Move the safe to the position desired, start your sump pump and guide the safe down slowly into position. Now, I have never tried this but a guy on the internet said it would work just fine.

Mosin Nagant rifle barrels work as pry bars and rollers also. i wouldn't try this with other types though, that would be crazy.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    We moved three safes at home by blocking it up until we could fit an ATV jack under it and the just move it where you want. That was the best $100 that my brother ever spent.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Golf balls.....Non-marring and work great!
    PVC pipe would be a close second for non-marring.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Tell your kids that under no circumstances are they to move the safe to the other side of the basement. Leave the room for five minutes. :):

Seriously though, my dad had his delivered and those guys used golf balls.

Top Bottom