• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcj54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    NE
    A gent brought a matching number Mosin Nagant to me for a sight issue. After discussing what the problem is and I explained how I would correct it he handed me 5 rounds of Yugoslavian corrosive ammo to test fire it. He has researched Mosins online and was proud to explain about Zeitsev from Enemy at the Gates, but gave me a blank look when I said the ammo was corrosive.
    When I asked him how long it had been since he shot it and whether he had cleaned it he said about 5 days since shot and a while since cleaning.
    Sure enough, when we pulled the bolt the bore looks like a mile of sewer pipe.
    It might be salvageable, but it will take a lot of work.
    So sad...

Last edited:

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Researched where? You'd be hard-pressed to find a gun forum or Reddit thread, YouTube video, website or magazine article, or even a "for sale" ad on the Mosin without a mention of corrosive combloc ammo. A Mosin was my second gun purchase back when I was a relatively reckless, idiot 19-year-old. It was the early 2000s and the internet was a far cry from what it is today, and even then I knew to pour water or pee down the barrel to neutralize the primer salts.

Not sure how anyone in 2020 wouldn't know about corrosion with these old warhorses, but then again common sense is anything but.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Bought a CZ52 from a friend who claimed to have cleaned it after last shooting (corrosive surplus ammo of course). Apparently he didn't do a good job because less than 1/3 of the bore was clear. After several cycles of clean, shoot, clean, shoot, clean it doesn't look bad and shoots plenty good but there's no fixing the holes in the bore.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I purchased a MINT M-1 Garand from a gentleman that obtained it from the CMP. He fired one clip of ammo through it and then put it in his attic for 20 years. The bore and throat erosion gauges indicated that it was a “new” barrel, however the pitted stovepipe bore showed that his one clip of ammo had been corrosive.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ooof. I've learned some lessons about corrosive ammo myself.

Good news is rifling on a Mosin is a mile freakin' deep and even a rusty sewer pipe bore will shoot after being polished with a drill.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    More good news is that A) he probably didn't shoot it much, and B) 5 days isn't a whole lot. (But it is nice and humid in NE Indiana...)

Water, water, water. Flush out those salts. Water, water, water.

Using ammonia to do it is WORTHLESS as anything but as a flushing agent. The salts are not dissolved by ammonia. It won't work like you think it's working.

Using Windex to do it is Pointless as anything but as a flushing agent. Windex is expensive water.

Water, water, water. Use water.

Want to help yourself out? Use almost boiling water. As it heats the metal, the heated metal will help dry out the water.

THEN you can get rid of the water, water, water and re-lube and re-protect.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably one of the reasons I was taught to "CLEAN MY GUNS AFTER EVERY RANGE SESSION" period.
    Old school army lifers. I actually got my butt smacked for not doing this as a very young person. It was part of the drill. Period. It still is. Period.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Probably one of the reasons I was taught to "CLEAN MY GUNS AFTER EVERY RANGE SESSION" period.
    Old school army lifers. I actually got my butt smacked for not doing this as a very young person. It was part of the drill. Period. It still is. Period.

Gezz CM, cleaning guns is just too hard and tedious to have to do. :tantrum::cheers:

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    I have ALWAYS like the plaque avoided anything with the word corrosive when it comes to my beloved firearms.
    As far as this gents painfully obvious total lack of firearm knowledge is concerned, it is FAR FAR more common to encounter gun owners who not only do not know ANYTHING about guns, but what little they do know is absolutely false.

I am self taught about almost all things in my life including firearms. This unending obsession with ever increasing my knowledge is what has allowed me to become a very successful in my chosen profession as few people I work with were willing to teach me anything as low skilled ignorant coworkers are low threat coworkers.

I can not tell you how many times I have encountered firearm owners who were and likely still are completely ignorant about nearly everything as it applies to firearms and the incidents of folly I have witnessed as a result.
    Back when I was still going to public ranges a guy several stalls down from me couldn't figure out why his usually very accurate 30/06 was shooting horrible groups and asked me if I had any idea as to why?

I immediately suggested we check his scope and scope mounts but both seamed OK. I then asked him if he had changed ammo and he said well no but lets look at it. It was all Federal Premium ammo. While I was looking it over I quickly saw his AMT ammo box contained both 30/06 rounds and 270 rounds and sure enough he was shooting the 270 out of his 30/06.

I asked him why on earth would he ever even think of storing two different rifle calibers in the same ammo box. He replied he simply assumed a 270 couldn't possibly chamber in a 30/06 and it saved him money on ammo cases. I explained to him many calibers share the same or very similar case dimensions and the 30/06 was the "parent cartridge" for the 270 and a host of other calibers like 25/06 and 280 Remington to name but a few and the 308 Winchester is the parent cartridge for 243 and 7mm/08 and other calibers . I suggested he never do such a thing ever again. I told him as I almost always shoot rifles in different calibers while at the range as a safety precaution I keep both rifles and ammo in separate cases and the ammo case CLEARLY marked as to the caliber and NEVER have rifles of two different calibers uncased and out at the same time and the same applies to different calibers of ammo. One rifle caliber and ammo out at a time.

I once witnessed a guy having such extreme difficulty using a Uplula mag loader to load his Glock 17 he had only been able to get 2 rounds loaded in the mag. I offered my help as I have been using Uplula loaders for years and know from loading 10s of thousands of HG rounds with ZERO issues he had to be doing something wrong, I figured he most likely had the mag in backwards but it was worse than that.
    Sure enough he was trying to load 45 ACP rounds in his 9mm G17 mag. I asked him had he ever used an Uplula mag loader previously, and he replied yes many times and I then asked well when you went from effortless loading to needing many many times more force didn't that tell you something?

Don't even get me started on the ignorance I have witnessed as people tried sighting in their rifles.

Top Bottom