• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I'm going to to keep this as short as possible. I want to to get a new 1911 and have it down to 2.
    1st S&W ESER
    2nd springfield 1911a1 stainless
    I know the dress up features are different on the 2 but as far as quality, durability, and accuracy which one would you pick. thanks for any help.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have had similar 1911's from both manufacturers.
    My only knock on the Smith was that you couldn't put the slide back on after cleaning without pulling the pin out of the safety lever, I'm sure they would have fixed this for free but it wasn't that big of a deal after you figured it out so I just put up with it. That knock aside I thought it was an excellent gun, accurate, reliable, good trigger, etc.
    The Springfield was also a good gun (I had the target stainless steel P19132LP). Mine came with the full length guide rod which I am not a fan of and after break in had the most slide to frame play of any 1911 I'm familiar with, but again I found it to be an accurate & reliable gun. If I was going to get another Springfield I'd go for the Trophy match or TRP if I felt I wanted to afford a higher end tighter fit gun or else for the mil-spec if I wanted a fun solid no frills shooter.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look at the Springfield Range officer. I have had a few and currently EDC one. It has the best fit of any 1911 in that price range I have found. It runs reliably and has some nice features out of the box. I am a fan of full length guide rods (all what you like) and put a Wilson 2 piece in my RO.
    I have a Trophy and a TRP Operator as well. I prefer the Springers over the Smith offerings but for no particular reason other than I have had so many Springfield's with no issues.

If you can, shoot both before you buy.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    My SW1911

SW1911pic1_zps42dbd9fb.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I have no experience with Smith 1911s. From what I've read, S&W makes nice 1911s.

My Springfield Loaded is my most reliable handgun. And SA's CS is fantastic.

OZESS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    valparaiso indiana
    I GO WITH THE SMITH AND WESSON MINE WORKS GREAT NEVER HAD ANY TROUBLE
    OUT OF THE BOX. MY RELOADS NEVER STOP IT.IF YOU BUY A SPRINGFIELD BUY USA HAD BETTER LUCK WITH THEM,JUST MY FINDINGS.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I vote for Springfield. I am not a fan of forward cocking serrations so I went with the Mil-Spec and did some minor modifications to finish it as the gun I wanted.

Springfield's customer service is second to none in the business. They have a lifetime warranty, stand behind their products whether purchased new or used, and do very good work.

cwagner1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Don't the smiths have an external extractor that a lot of the 1911 junkies make fun of???

That being said, they're both good guns. Pick whichever is your favorite. You won't be disappointed with either.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    i have had me Springfield operator for several years and i love it. I have never had a Smith 1911 so i can not speak for them. both are good guns

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    I have no experience with the Smith 1911 but I have a SA MC Operator which I love! I used one often in my previous job so when I got the chance I jumped at getting one for myself. I like the heavy forged frame though some don't for EDC. The weight has never bothered me while carrying and for me, the added weight helped with recoil management in rapid drills. Just my :twocents:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I got a new S&W 1911sc E series bobtail, it's an incredible gun. I have shot a few Springfields, there is no comparison in my eyes. S&W all the way.

mm4603

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I'd go with the S&W. I had a 1911PD that was fantastic. When holding it in one hand and a friend's Springfield in the other, it was like holding a pencil compared to a brick. Light, reliable, and accurate are all appropriate terms for the S&W.

Top Bottom