• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I have a chance to buy a K38. It looks to be in great shape. I will inspect it throughout before I buy it. Any particular thing I need to check on this gun besides the usual? Price is $640 OTD

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As long as you are talking about a S&W K38, aka Combat Masterpiece, that is a pretty good price in today's market for one in nice shape.

Being a .38, not a lot of chance that it is shot loose. As long as the timing locks fine on all 6 positions and you are happy with the condition, I would say go for it.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    A K38 Combat Masterpiece is a classic S&W revolver. If it is in good condition as outlined above $640 is not a bad price. It will hold or increase in value over the years. Shoot it and enjoy it!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    That is getting towards top-price, but if it has the target hammer and grips, and you want it, they probably won't get much cheaper in the future. I bought my last one for 425 in 2020, and that was from someone I knew. Those deals are probably gone for good.

I've had two or three of these, and while the actions are usually fantastic, you do have to watch for the cylinder not wanting to index in double-action. It crops up as an "occasional" hang up, and it's kinda hard to detect unless you slowly do several double-action dry-fire snaps (which again, can be tricky to do in front of the owner when you're deciding to buy). But I would recommend doing at least a couple slow, easy, double-action snaps (fast will make it harder to detect).

If it has the problem, parts for these guns are getting hard to come by. Some of them S&W doesn't even have anymore. On these older guns, it's starting to get to the point where one has to be cannibalized to keep another running. The hammers, firing pins, ratchets, stars, etc. for them are no longer made, and modern production of the same model is a slightly different design.

I have one good one and it will not see high volume use. Single action target gun only for this classic.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for the replies. I brought it home. It was made in '54 and hardly a blemish, looks like it had a cylinder or two shot through it and put in a drawer for 70 yrs. Now I hate to shoot it, but I will.
    Pictures!

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks for the replies. I brought it home. It was made in '54 and hardly a blemish, looks like it had a cylinder or two shot through it and put in a drawer for 70 yrs. Now I hate to shoot it, but I will.
    Nice find. I have one like that that's make in 1956, the year I was born. I've shot mine at Camp Perry and other matches for distinguished revolver matches and occasionally in my pistol league.. It doesn't hurt to shoot them. Just don't abuse it.

Reactions: Leo

tude

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    ohio
    I will get the young'ns to post some pics this weekend. Six inch barrel. I think all the k38's are 6". When s&w gave them the model number 14 they kept them 6", but added a 4" version and gave it model number 15.

Top Bottom