• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Can someone ID a S&W model by a serial number starting in AEP5xxx? No photos, I'm considering making an estate, but figure the model won't be known without popping the grips.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    .38 Revolver, yes, I will see about some pics. I had eyes on it last summer, but communication with the owner is spotty, and its about 700 hundred miles from me now.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    .38 Revolver, yes, I will see about some pics. I had eyes on it last summer, but communication with the owner is spotty, and its about 700 hundred miles from me now.
    Ask the owner to send you a picture or the info in the below pic (not mine - stolen from interweb).

1680750410837.png

You have been around here awhile and probably know well, but, if not or for anyone else reading, be sure to follow state-to-state transfer laws with an ffl transfer.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Can someone ID a S&W model by a serial number starting in AEP5xxx? No photos, I'm considering making an estate, but figure the model won't be known without popping the grips.
    S&W went to the three-letter prefix in the early 80s and it represents the ship date of the firearm, not the model. As others have said, the model number will be under the yoke.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Ask the owner to send you a picture or the info in the below pic (not mine - stolen from interweb).

View attachment 268044

You have been around here awhile and probably know well, but, if not or for anyone else reading, be sure to follow state-to-state transfer laws with an ffl transfer.
    Perfect, thank you.

Yes, will FFL. I've had good and bad fortune with the one I used last, will be seeking one that can be reasonable for transfer of a 10-piece lot, but thats if the deal even goes through, and a story for another thread.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Perfect, thank you.

Yes, will FFL. I've had good and bad fortune with the one I used last, will be seeking one that can be reasonable for transfer of a 10-piece lot, but thats if the deal even goes through, and a story for another thread.
    Still just one 4473 if you complete it as a single transaction. They might charge you more for ten as they do have more processing time in handling ten guns but it shouldn't be ten times the price.

I just bought a gun at a local auction and only one as the FFL charges $37.50 per gun to transfer. The other FFLs that I have bought auction guns at typically charge $25-$30 per transfer no matter how many.

Good luck! Hope it comes together for you!

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Thank you, I had a fairly similar experience, was able to transfer 5 guns from a family estate for about $50, and the same FFL charged me $40 for one gun a year later. I’ll ask for pricing before setting up the transfer next time!

Top Bottom