• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I've owned and carried a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard revolver for over a year now. I figured it's time I gave it a proper review.

[video=youtube_share;VYiZ7QtFRvg]http://youtu.be/VYiZ7QtFRvg[/video]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a BG-38. And I really can't disagree with anything you said. The laser is difficult to activate and I wouldn't want to try to hit anything with it more than a few yards away. It is not fun to shoot--it's not a range toy. In fact, with +p's in it, it hurts. The one thing the laser does do though, is provides a dry-fire feedback mechanism. It lets you know where the muzzle's going as you pull the trigger.

Having recognized its short comings, I'm going to keep it. It's my deep concealment gun and when I'm going somewhere I don't want anybody to know I'm carrying, I carry the BG. (I'm not a backup carrier). I use that same DeSantis holster and it works fine as you say. When I bought it, I considered an automatic. Rightly or wrongly, I decided against it in favor of a revolver because I was going to be pocket carrying this thing and I wanted the long, deliberate trigger pull for pocket carry.

Nice job on the video. :thumbsup:

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    Good review. I changed the grip on my BG38 out for a Hogue grip. It made a noticeable difference but it's still not fun to shoot

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I agree with your review McGrease. Not a pleasant gun to shoot, not a range toy. It does have a place and will do the job it is made to do.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Good review. I changed the grip on my BG38 out for a Hogue grip. It made a noticeable difference but it's still not fun to shoot
    I put a Hogue grip on my wife's BG38 a month or so ago. Its still not pleasant to shoot, but it's less unpleasant.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    You look like my uncle..... 20 years ago.

That's all I got. Otherwise good review.

Your uncle must be a handsome fellow.

I've got a BG-38. And I really can't disagree with anything you said. The laser is difficult to activate and I wouldn't want to try to hit anything with it more than a few yards away. It is not fun to shoot--it's not a range toy. In fact, with +p's in it, it hurts. The one thing the laser does do though, is provides a dry-fire feedback mechanism. It lets you know where the muzzle's going as you pull the trigger.

Having recognized its short comings, I'm going to keep it. It's my deep concealment gun and when I'm going somewhere I don't want anybody to know I'm carrying, I carry the BG. (I'm not a backup carrier). I use that same DeSantis holster and it works fine as you say. When I bought it, I considered an automatic. Rightly or wrongly, I decided against it in favor of a revolver because I was going to be pocket carrying this thing and I wanted the long, deliberate trigger pull for pocket carry.

Nice job on the video. :thumbsup:

I actually got that holster based on your recommendation.

I would have loved to keep the gun, as I wasn't really looking to get rid of it. But when I had the chance to trade for the G42 I had to jump on it. That's a gun my wife actually wants to shoot and I would feel comfortable leaving with her when I'm not home. Any chance I can get her interested in shooting I see as a huge positive.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I would have loved to keep the gun, as I wasn't really looking to get rid of it. But when I had the chance to trade for the G42 I had to jump on it. That's a gun my wife actually wants to shoot and I would feel comfortable leaving with her when I'm not home. Any chance I can get her interested in shooting I see as a huge positive.

That's a good reason. I've got an old Model 10 S&W that my wife calls "her gun". She's shot all my others but she likes that thing the best. I'll have to admit, shooting 38spls out of thing is a lot more enjoyable than that BG.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Your uncle must be a handsome fellow

:dunno: If you're into hairy old dudes, I guess you could do worse.

Seriously though, I agree with everything you said about J frames. I sold my Ruger LCR .357 a couple years ago and this year picked up a Smith 640 Pro. While the 640 Pro is a beautiful gun, getting a group smaller than man sized has proven difficult. I could actually shoot the LCR better, the trigger was better, and felt recoil was more manageable and it was lighter. But the 640 Pro was one of my grail guns so....

I also recently put a Walther PPS in layaway to hopefully assume the role the LCR used to fill.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    No comments, critiques, or smart alec remarks?

You're slipping INGO.

Your beard looks like my circa 1970 Adventure Team G I Joe...Sorry dude that's all I have got...:)

"Please check back later for my review of this awesome helicopter..." MCGrease

hallmark-at-helicopter-holding-small.jpg

Last edited:

dleak

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    floyd county
    i don't remember what model# my s&w is ... airweight 38 bodyguard ... absolutely 100% LOVE it ... i do tend not to "disagree" , but i dont have any problems hitting w this out to reasonable ranges (torso hits @25yds) no problem ... recoil while "snappy" doesnt seem to start stinging until after the first 50 or so .... maybe mine just fits me perfectly :-) wouldnt trade it off until the bill collectors are kicking in the door !!! talk about karma , the serial# starts with my initials :-)

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    How do you keep from getting cleaner/lube in the laser? I tend to get very messy while cleaning (counterproductive I know) and I can see when the laser is on the wall there's particles or something making the light wonky looking on target it's not a flawless red dot anymore it's a dot with a haze around it almost hard to explain unless someone else has had it happen also. Bodyguard .380 does the same thing

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I never really used the laser except when dry firing, so I didn't pay much attention to whether it got dirty or not.

It does have a lens over it, so a wet paper towel would work fine for cleaning it. Or you can use an Allen wrench to take the whole housing off when cleaning. It's probably good to do that every couple of months to get the lint out from between the gun and laser anyway.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I handled a friends BG38 and liked the feel. For me being a righty the laser was easy to operate. My thumb naturally went to the laser button as if it was a thumb safety on my 1911. He didn't want to sell or trade it. I may get one someday. THanks for the review.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Smart remark: Is the right back fender crumpling extra or just an added feature? Buwhahaha!

No that was on the house. And btw, I took the car to Allen M's shop last week and one of his techs told me he thinks the insurance co. is going to write up the car as totaled, which blows my mind for how little damage it really appears to be.

The estimate was in the neighborhood of $4800, but value of car is right around $4k. It should be interesting to see what they come back with.

:hijack:

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet Dave?

Top Bottom