• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    So Ive been doing a little trading and Ive been looking for a 686+ for a few months and finally a friend of a friend of mine just so happen to have a LNIB unfired 686+ he was willing to trade me. The thing is he bought it and then realized it has a slight issue. The Grips, no matter how tight you get the screw, rattle and move back and forth. It really doesnt bother me because I think I can fix it easy just by swapping out to some nice wood grips but I figured Id ask you guys and see what you think.

Will swapping out to some nicer wood grips get rid of the rattle the factory grips have or is this a common issue with 686s that will just do it all the time inspite of the grips?

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    Call S&W, they will send you a shipping label and it will cost you nothing. They have great customer service. You might want to sell the gun one day and the new buyer will want the original wood. Usually done in about two weeks.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Call S&W, they will send you a shipping label and it will cost you nothing. They have great customer service. You might want to sell the gun one day and the new buyer will want the original wood. Usually done in about two weeks.

It didnt come with wood grips. It has plastic feeling two piece grips on it now that are branded S&W. See the link above its that exact pistol.

I want to put some wood on it though. I think it would look much better. Any suggestions as to make or model for wood grips for it?

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    The early production 668 came with wood grips thinking, no dash to 1 maybe 2, then Houge grips after that, do not know much about the Classic line. Available do not know, sure there's something out there, 686P is a very popular gun, do not know if frame is different from standard 686.

Agree I like the wood grips on stainless look.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I dont think the grips on it are made by Houge. I cant seem to find any info as to who makes them for S&W. All I now is the rattle is annoying. I may check out the monogrips, and Houge I see makes some very nice looking wood grips for it as well.

Hopefully that fixes it. Its a beautifull gun otherwise. I cant wait to get it out to the range.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I doubt they will even ask you if you are the original owner.

FYI I have a 686-6 with the exact same grips on it. They aren't rock solid, but don't wobble. They're only held in by one screw which doesn't exactly constitute a line. The fit to the frame determines how much play is in it. It's possible you got a bad mold?

When you take the grips off you don't see any bubba jim work on the frame do you?

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    This is fairly common on these grips. I have fixed a couple of these grips(one of them mine). Just take the grips apart and lay the gun on one side of the grips and move the grips and see where the slop is. I cut some heavy paper stock and put shims of paper where the grips rock on the frame. Keep adding shims until grip has no movement. Put other side on and tighten grips.
    I really like how the new two piece grips feel but the fit could be better IMO.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I doubt they will even ask you if you are the original owner.

FYI I have a 686-6 with the exact same grips on it. They aren't rock solid, but don't wobble. They're only held in by one screw which doesn't exactly constitute a line. The fit to the frame determines how much play is in it. It's possible you got a bad mold?

When you take the grips off you don't see any bubba jim work on the frame do you?

No, no marring or filework on the frame what so ever. The guy I traded out of it was the original owner. Still has his paper work in the box. I guess he got so bummed out over the poor fit of the factory grips it ruined the gun for him. :dunno: Ill post pics later if that will help. It is LINB unfired. I still cant belive he traded it to me. I traded him a like new Browning Buckmark with a bull barrel for it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I dont think the grips on it are made by Houge. I cant seem to find any info as to who makes them for S&W. All I now is the rattle is annoying. I may check out the monogrips, and Houge I see makes some very nice looking wood grips for it as well.

Hopefully that fixes it. Its a beautifull gun otherwise. I cant wait to get it out to the range.

Synthetic grips supplied from the factory on a Smith and Wesson will either be Hogue (a one-piece grip) or Uncle Mike's (two-piece) which may or may not have the S&W logo on them.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is fairly common on these grips. I have fixed a couple of these grips(one of them mine). Just take the grips apart and lay the gun on one side of the grips and move the grips and see where the slop is. I cut some heavy paper stock and put shims of paper where the grips rock on the frame. Keep adding shims until grip has no movement. Put other side on and tighten grips.
    I really like how the new two piece grips feel but the fit could be better IMO.

I have some thick cork gasket material. Ill try that thanks!

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I've bought several sets of original S&W wood grips from ebay. Make sure you buy for the right frame (square butt or round butt), the grips will need to fit L or K frame. I have no experience with the current style of grips, but the older rubber grips were made by Hogue.

A lot of the wood grips on ebay are imports from Thailand, I know nothing about the quality of them.

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I would still send it back to S&W, you might be surprised with a nicer set of grips. At least they will fit nice. It doesn't make a difference if you are the second owner, they probably won't even ask. Mine came with Hogue grips. My 29 classic came with nice wood that I put up and use Hogue grips to shoot with.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The grips on my 617 are loose too with a noticeable rocking movement from top to bottom. They are the factory 2 piece grips that IndyDave1776 described. A hard plastic core with a thin rubber overmold, and the S&W logo on them.
    I have them off and it looks like I can shim them as Bosshoss explained.

Top Bottom