• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highland512

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    I have been surfing the net, hitting gun shops, reading reviews and I think I have narrowed my decision down to a Smith & Wesson 638. Any complaints, dislikes or praises? I would love to hear some real world reviews from Indiana owners. I am wanting this gun for CC and for home protection in case my 12 ga lets me down(God forbid).:patriot:

Twingram

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Blackford County
    I would have to say that a little J-frame smith is a terrific gun for CC. My only complaints are that it is more difficult to reload quickly and it is kind of hard to shoot accuratly at distance. I'm sure practice would improve this but shooting a J-Frame is kind of unpleasant due to its recoil and they get super dirty after only a few rounds.
    That being said, the majority of self defense shootings are going to happen within 20 feet and your body will barely be able to close one eye let alone line up the sights any way. These are just some of my "semi-educated" opinions so take it for what you will :/

So +1 for all S&W J-Frames.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I have a 642; the internal hammer version.

Personally, I recommend these due to the slightly lower profile and even more "snag free-ness", if you will. The 638 would be my very close 2nd choice, however.

As Twingram mentioned, snub-nosed revolvers are difficult to shoot well. Practice practice practice! And in those airweight revolvers, practice generally = pain. Especially if you practice with your carry ammo (I use +p carry ammo)

Due to their inherent difficulty in "mastering", plus their high levels of felt recoil, snub-nosed revolvers generally do not make good beginner guns.

Yes, they're fantastic carry weapons. Mine's with me most of the time. And while I CAN shoot it ok, I can't speedily reload it. Yet.

Personally, I'd suggest you look at a slightly larger model revolver for home defense. Perhaps a nice used S&W Model 10. They're relatively plentiful and inexpensive. .38Special +p out of a 4" barrel isn't anything to sneeze at.

Plus the longer sight radius will make it easier to acquire your target and the (generally) better double-action trigger will make it easier to STAY on target as the trigger is pulled.

(By design, the small J-frame / snubby revolvers have a long and stiff trigger pull to help keep them from firing as they're banging around in a pocket)

-J-

Top Bottom