• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I have a brand new S&W 442 (without the lock, which is nice). Took it to the range, put 20 rounds of .38 through it, fine and dandy. However, after dry firing it 60 to 70 consecutive times the trigger eventually becomes harder to pull until eventually the trigger won't move at all, no matter how hard I press (no, it's not because my finger is getting tired, just in case you were wondering:):).

The trigger has a 1/16 - 1/8 inch take up in the beginning, but as it approaches the "lock up" problem, the take up distance gets shorter until there is no take up at all. However, I can open the cylinder just fine.

What is weird is that when I let the revolver sit for awhile, it gradually goes back to normal. I am not crazy, I swear, you have to believe me! Something in the trigger mechanism is getting out of joint, and then going back.

Of course, it's going back to S&W for warranty repair, but I have to ask, anyone care to venture an opinion as to what is wrong? Anyone experience this problem?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Never heard of anything like that. Curious as to what S&W says.

It is pretty cold out. There isn't a "springs made by Eotech" sticker on the box is there? :dunno:

In all seriousness, let us know what Smith says when it comes back.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Throw it away! By that I mean get rid of it(disposal address forthcoming)! In all seriousness, something is bound up, give it two ex lax, and send it to me! Ok, in even more seriousness, something is bound, call Smith, their warranty is pretty good, they've had practice of late!

walt o

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Hammond
    Your problem is unusual to say the least , I do work on S&W revolvers and have NO IDEA whats is going on
    .Have the people at S&W give you a written explanation of what they find wrong, and repair. PLEASE post the findings.

ndbbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2011
    First check to make sure that the ejector rod is tight. If that's not it, it's probably that the leading edge of the rebound slide is adhering to the aluminum frame, probably just not finished off correctly. Usually they work fine if dry teflon lubed. The correct fix is to stone a slight ramp on the leading edge of the rebound slide, just enough to break the sharp edge.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    First check to make sure that the ejector rod is tight. If that's not it, it's probably that the leading edge of the rebound slide is adhering to the aluminum frame, probably just not finished off correctly. Usually they work fine if dry teflon lubed. The correct fix is to stone a slight ramp on the leading edge of the rebound slide, just enough to break the sharp edge.

Good, early "Quality" post... Not sure if you're correct, but I can understand your path of thought!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    After all these months I finally got around to calling S&W and sent it in. Got a call from them this morning. I didn't speak to the tech, but they told me it's the receiver (the frame itself), and they are just sending me a replacement (and will reimburse me for the transfer fee).

My wild guess is that the hammer stud is somehow flexing just a tiny bit, putting things out of alignment. Because the frame is aluminum, repair is not feasible. Again, just a guess.

Top Bottom