• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm returning to deer hunting this year after not having gone for 15 years or so. I used to go when I lived in PA but I've never hunted in IN before. Moved here a few years ago and haven't gotten around to hunting yet.

--I've always used shotguns for deer but since IN allows handgun calibers in rifles, I'm contemplating picking up a lever action .44. What are your thoughts on a Winchester or Marlin .44 vs my old 870 rifled slug?

--I don't really have a spot picked out and obviously it's late in the season to not have a place already scouted but I'm heading down to Hoosier National Forest Area. I've hiked that area quite a bit so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Anyone hunt that area? Is it a waste of time? By next season, I plan on hooking up with someone who has access to a good area.

--I've read the DNR guideline booklet, but I'm not 100% clear on the checkpoint system in IN. As I understand it, I can field dress the deer on site, but nothing else can be done to it until it's been taken to a checkpoint? What exactly does the checkpoint do and how long does that take? (In PA, we just shot it and took it home.) And also, once I load up the deer, it has to have a tag attached to it? What is the purpose of this?

I've read through the other posts here about deer hunting and learned alot but I didn't see my particular questions addressed so I appreciate anything you guys have to offer on these or anything else. I'm not really a newbie but it's been so long, it sort of feels that way in some respects.

Thanks!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm returning to deer hunting this year after not having gone for 15 years or so. I used to go when I lived in PA but I've never hunted in IN before. Moved here a few years ago and haven't gotten around to hunting yet.

--I've always used shotguns for deer but since IN allows handgun calibers in rifles, I'm contemplating picking up a lever action .44. What are your thoughts on a Winchester or Marlin .44 vs my old 870 rifled slug?

--I don't really have a spot picked out and obviously it's late in the season to not have a place already scouted but I'm heading down to Hoosier National Forest Area. I've hiked that area quite a bit so I'm somewhat familiar with it. Anyone hunt that area? Is it a waste of time? By next season, I plan on hooking up with someone who has access to a good area.

--I've read the DNR guideline booklet, but I'm not 100% clear on the checkpoint system in IN. As I understand it, I can field dress the deer on site, but nothing else can be done to it until it's been taken to a checkpoint? What exactly does the checkpoint do and how long does that take? (In PA, we just shot it and took it home.) And also, once I load up the deer, it has to have a tag attached to it? What is the purpose of this?

I've read through the other posts here about deer hunting and learned alot but I didn't see my particular questions addressed so I appreciate anything you guys have to offer on these or anything else. I'm not really a newbie but it's been so long, it sort of feels that way in some respects.

Thanks!

O.K. Let's start at the beginning, .44mag is PLENTY of gun for deer! Marlin, Winchester, Puma, pick your poison.

I've not hunted the Hoosier National forest, but I see reports of the harvest #'s there every year. SOMEONE is shooting deer in there, might as well be you!

Yes, you can field dress a deer, and stop there. Leave the head attached.
    ATTACH TAG BEFORE YOU LOAD IN VEHICLE!
    Tag MUST be in place to transport! Place a slit in the hind leg, ( I cut out the tarsal gland on the bucks), and push a string through the slit, tie tag to string. MOST DNR will be o.k. if you load it first, but law says it must be tagged BEFORE transporting, or leaving the carcass unattended. If you shoot it, and field dress it, then want to leave it to retrieve your vehicle, ATTACH THE TAG BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE CARCASS!

Checking at the check station takes just moments per deer, but may be 1/2 hour waiting your turn. You CAN be in and out in ten minutes or LESS!

Hope this helps, and good luck!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    if you have the 870 and are used to it, I certainly wouldn't feel like you have to change. I would guess that most Indiana deer hunters are still using slug guns. I have been thinking about getting a rifle similar to what you mentioned but mostly as an excuse to the wife on why I need yet another firearm. The purpose of the check in is to prevent people taking more deer than they have permits for would be my guess.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just another thought.
    It is also legal to hunt white-tail deer in Indiana with certain caliber HANDGUNS!
    I have taken quite a few with a .357mag, a .44mag, a.454casull, and a .45Colt!
    All of these calibers (and more) ARE legal for deer, as long as your handgun has a minimum of a 4" barrel.

Just food for thought!

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    870 is a better gun in Indiana

Don't worry about the .44 levergun unless you really just want it. A 12 gauge is better for hunting someplace like HNF anyways. An 870 with a rifled barrel is as, if not more accurate at 100 yds than a lever gun anyway. Also, the check stations will vary in the time that it takes. Some will want to take pics and look, but some will just want the info and send you on your way. I would guess the morning of the 14th check stations will be pretty busy. The temp tag is so that if there is a question of possesion before you make it to the check station. It's not a big deal. Blank strip of paper..Your name...Lic#....and the date killed...around a horn, or leg, or whatever. Good luck this year. HNF has some of the biggest bucks I've seen in the whole state. It's hunting the big woods though and a lot of guys don't like to do that.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I have just a quick story if you don't mind. The wife and I were out for a walk in the HNF on crisp October day. I had my shotgun in case we kicked up a grouse or rabbit. All of a sudden you could hear something coming quickly our way. I told the wife to stand still and not say anything. A few seconds later two decent bucks came busting tail up the trail from the way we had come. They ran within just a few feet of us. Wish that sort of thing would happen to me in deer season. So there are (or were about 27 years ago) nice bucks there in the woods.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm glad to hear that HNF may be a decent place. I'll give it a, er...shot:)

I think I'll stick with the 870 unless I see a good deal on a .44 in time to get used to it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info, guys. I'm glad to hear that HNF may be a decent place. I'll give it a, er...shot:)

I think I'll stick with the 870 unless I see a good deal on a .44 in time to get used to it.

Smart move on both counts.

The tagging needs cleared up a little bit though from previous posts. Unless you have a lifetime license or are hunting on your own ground, your licensse has the temporary tag attached to it. You must notch out the date and sex on the tag and attach it to the carcass as soon as you reach it. The deer is not yours until you attach your legal tag. You are not legal to move the carcass unless the tag is attached to it. Most people I know make a cut between the bones in the lower leg and put a string through there and through the holes in the tag and tie it. This is replaced with a metal tag at the check station. The metal tag is what the processor will want to see before they will accept it.

What part of the state do you want to hunt? HNF covers a lot of territory. PM me if you want and I may be able to help.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    The tag is no longer issued on the license,but you can get a copy off the dnr website or out of the hunting guide,the other change made a couple years ago is that the tag is to be filled out upon the kill but does not have to be attached to the deer unless you are leaving the carcass or upon it being loaded into the vehicle.

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    The tag is no longer issued on the license,but you can get a copy off the dnr website or out of the hunting guide,the other change made a couple years ago is that the tag is to be filled out upon the kill but does not have to be attached to the deer unless you are leaving the carcass or upon it being loaded into the vehicle.

+1

Since the licenses are now printed on plain paper (which obviously tear easily), you'll want to print out some temporary transportation tags. These tags should be marked/notched immediately upon killing a deer, but don't need to be attached until right before it's loaded in a vehicle or the carcass is to be left unattended. The temp tag is available online at http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/tempdeer.pdf. Even though the tag hasn't been updated yet and still says it must be attached immediately after taking the deer, that has been changed, and you can see the updated regulation in the hunting guide which is at DNR: Hunting Guide & Regulations

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Vest%20-%20Blaze%20Camo-01.jpg

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    Umm..yep. Don't forget the hunter orange. But this one doesn't meet Indiana requirements...it's gotta be solid hunter orange in color!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking--that it didn't qualify, based on my reading.

That brings up another question: most states I've hunted have a minimum number of centimeters of blaze orange you have to wear. Indiana seems to just say solid orange hat, vest or jacket. So, if I'm reading this right, just an orange hat will satisfy their requirements?

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I hunt HNF in Perry county, near the Ohio river. It has filled my freezer many times. Including 7,8,9,10 and 11 point bucks, all in the 100 to 125 class range. Opening day is the best hunting due to extreem hunter pressure. Of course scouting is important. I hunt the top of a ridge saddle where most other hunter's won't go but deer use for an excape route. One stand netted 3 deer in 4 hours, by 3 differant hunters, including a 120 class 10 point buck. I and 8 or 9 other hunters meet there every year since the late 70's. We camp, hunt and tell lies every opening day. Good luck and wear plenty of orange!

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    That brings up another question: most states I've hunted have a minimum number of centimeters of blaze orange you have to wear. Indiana seems to just say solid orange hat, vest or jacket. So, if I'm reading this right, just an orange hat will satisfy their requirements?

Yes, it will. :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Ya know I just started to wonder if it had been change in the years since I last used one.

Hand me the crow, I'll just take your word for it, it's good for me.

Top Bottom