• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I went scouting last Saturday for my deer spot and located fresh rubs, I returned today to place a stand and found a string of new scrapes that were not there last week! Oh yeah it's on :):

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    I have noticed bucks chasing does for the past three days. I observed three diffrent bucks chasing does today while in my hunting area. Next weekend should be prime for guns

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I haven't found any yet. Do you belive that the rut happens at different time in different areas of state?
    I beleive it happens at different times in different areas within a 3 or 4 week period, I believe it depends on a lot of factors and all Bucks do not have an "ON" button click at the same time, a funny thing is I have seen a lot of crazy Buck activity around the 4th week of November and into the 1st week of December several years and that is later than the experts say the peak is? I think most gun hunters are done by then and it goes largely un noticed!:dunno:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the rut happpens 3 times a year in most places. the first rut is always the most prominate but some does dont get bread so the 2nd comes in then a few for the 3rd rut. in texas the peak of the 1st rut is last dec. in indiana the peak of the rut is now. by the first day of firarms it will still be on a little but the peak will be gone. the rut activity you see late nov and early dec is the second rut. the activity (very little if any) in jan is the 3rd

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    the rut happpens 3 times a year in most places. the first rut is always the most prominate but some does dont get bread so the 2nd comes in then a few for the 3rd rut. in texas the peak of the 1st rut is last dec. in indiana the peak of the rut is now. by the first day of firarms it will still be on a little but the peak will be gone. the rut activity you see late nov and early dec is the second rut. the activity (very little if any) in jan is the 3rd
    I agree that 2nd rut could be what is taking place late Nov. and early Dec. but I also think the pressure from the season in heavily hunted areas, the loss of cover (leaf drop, crops cut down) make for some confused deer, I have many times that last weekend after thanksgiving seen bucks standing in county roads, front lawns of homes in rural areas, and just running silly and almost no hunters left out out to push them to this? Oh well I love seein em as much as huntin em!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

Was scouting my spot down in Morgan-Monroe State Forest and 4 motherfargin 4 wheelers coming rolling by. Dad and 3 kids out joy-riding, completely oblivious to the fact that it is illegal to ride them there :xmad::xmad::xmad:

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008

Was scouting my spot down in Morgan-Monroe State Forest and 4 motherfargin 4 wheelers coming rolling by. Dad and 3 kids out joy-riding, completely oblivious to the fact that it is illegal to ride them there :xmad::xmad::xmad:
    Idiots! One of the most serious hunters I know takes his limit of deer (lifetime license) every year at Morgan Monroe while many complain about public land hunting being no good, hope u have a good season!

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville

Did you call the Tip hotline and report them?

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Been watching a 6pt chasing and pushing does since last weekend. Found a new spot that has alot of large scrapes and rubs. Saw what i believe (98%) was a 10 pt walk in there tonight.

Still haven't got one yet, however it's my first yr. and there is still plenty of time. :ar15:
    :laugh:

Nathan

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Been watching a 6pt chasing and pushing does since last weekend. Found a new spot that has alot of large scrapes and rubs. Saw what i believe (98%) was a 10 pt walk in there tonight.

Still haven't got one yet, however it's my first yr. and there is still plenty of time. :ar15:
    :laugh:

Nathan
    I should put this in the "tips thread" but the opp. is now, the big mistake hunters make is pushing the does! I mean push the does and the boys wll follow! During the rut we all know the bucks get goofy, but the girls, they stay on high alert, so scout smart and "find them girls" but don't scare em away!:rolleyes:

All_Clear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Avon, IN
    I should put this in the "tips thread" but the opp. is now, the big mistake hunters make is pushing the does! I mean push the does and the boys wll follow! During the rut we all know the bucks get goofy, but the girls, they stay on high alert, so scout smart and "find them girls" but don't scare em away!:rolleyes:

Yeah good tip... I was saying the buck was pushing them. I watched him about 60-80 yrds away round them up and push them up the ridge. I called, grunt & doe in heat can, whistled and he didn't give a lick i was there, never raised his head. But he was out of my shot range the whole time. Does even gave a heads up but didn't care much.

rudyman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2009
    dekalb co.
    starting to see sign in our neck of the woods also had a deer run into the side of my truck fri morning going to work. a lot of new rubs and scrapes the last two days

kmcamp1221

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Southwest Indy. (Camby)
    Rut

I was at Owen-Putnam Saturday morning, saw one while walking in, stayed for 5 hours and saw one while walking out. Weird, previous two weeks saw at least 4 to 6 each time, just out of range or behind too much cover. Oh well heading back out Wednesday.

Kevin

Top Bottom