• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Polish (11)) - what a beaut, besides that wart at the end. The metal looks downright fantastic. Speaking of, how is the muzzle device attached? No detent pin, I pray. Crush washer or something similar, or literally just wrenched on? For as interested as you seem to be at taking care of this gun, I would take the brake off and just be mindful not to drop the carbine or otherwise gum up the threads.

Also, do you know what the thread pitch happens to be? If it is a common commie pitch you might be able to get away with an AK-style muzzle nut. It still won't be original but IMHO will look better than that 74-style brake hanging off the end.

And if you decide to rock it with nothing but bubba'd threads, the bayonet still folds/attaches, yes? Because when you get to shoot it, there's nothing quite like stabbing a paper target with a Mosin bayonet and then obliterating the entire thing with a hip-fired x54r round.
    I don't think I knew that they made M/Ns at the Radom factory!

Neat.
    Yep, Polish. Poles weren't fans of the Mosin and preferred their Mausers. Weren't allowed to build new Mausers after WWII so had to make Mosins instead. Most were never issued as they went to the SKS and AK almost simultaneously as the Mosins were built. Put away in a warehouse in case of WWIII then sold as surplus in the early 1990's. As evidenced by your pictures they did an exceptional job on these. Shame about the barrel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yep, Polish. Poles weren't fans of the Mosin and preferred their Mausers. Weren't allowed to build new Mausers after WWII so had to make Mosins instead. Most were never issued as they went to the SKS and AK almost simultaneously as the Mosins were built. Put away in a warehouse in case of WWIII then sold as surplus in the early 1990's. As evidenced by your pictures they did an exceptional job on these. Shame about the barrel.
    I didn't know this about the Polish guns (being made and stored away). I just knew that they seemed to be the "prettiest" of the M44's.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    There's more than a few well used Polish M44s out there, not all of them were just stored away ;)
    Yes, some were used. There are a few pics of Polish troops carrying them. Once saw a pic of a Polish squad that had Mosins, SKSs, and AKs in the same unit. Some were also sent to poorer Warsaw Pact countries like Romania to bolster friendly country's militaries.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Like DD this is some thing I didn’t know.

In reality I’ve never given proper admiration to old mil. rifles. Unless they were G. I. M1A1.

Iv’e got two mosins one ea. short and long. I was prepared to post some crap about do what some cops do to pass inspection. Put a brush on a drill and spin till it’s shined. I can see (now after pics) how mistaken I was. Thanks for the education. This forum truly has a lot of information for those willing to hear it.

SigX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2022
    Lowell, IN
    Made it to the range yesterday kinda late. Well good news is it did not blow up! She's not very accurate but will shoot just fine. Did some quick bore cleaning after 3 rounds, sent another 3 down range. 4th round sent out a nice puff of gun oil smoke :cool:. Went down to check the target and only hit 5 times way low and right at 50 yards. Planned on getting to 25yd range with it to work on sights but ran out of time, so next time out that's on the list. Oh and with that corrosive ammo I cleaned that first last night.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Speaking of rare com-block guns...

I think that if I were of means, I'd take one of these polish M/Ns.

I'd also have a Beryl AK and an Albanian SKS.

And I don't even like M/Ns, AKs, or SKSs.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    No, that's from a few years ago. That tree is no longer there.
    Thank goodness, thought we were in for an early fall defoliation. We’re still taking crops out. I count every hr. south one week for growing plants. So if I’m two hrs. north our plants will look like yours in two weeks.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    That looks like an standard ak-74 muzzle device (probably a replica), but with a 30cal bore.

It should have 14x1mm left hand threads.

A standard ak muzzle nut should work.

Top Bottom