Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    View attachment 185860
    This is supposed to be recent. 500lb HE bomb that didn't go off in Kharkiv.
    This should make a very nice IED.
    Also look closely there are cables attached to the bomb the older man isn't carrying it on his shoulders ;)
    My first reaction was "It's a strong dude!".
    Dollars or Rubles?

14 million Rubles is only $137,000
    14 million US dollars, that truck ain't cheap.

Another one (or the same one, not sure) was set on fire by a Ukrainian farmer.

pic.jpg

I'm sure the farmer could have sold it for several millions to a bunch of different countries.
    It's the latest Russian technology, also used on their ships to protect against missiles and air attacks.

Even sell it back for half the price to Vladimir. :dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I would not want to be a part of the Ukrainian delegations negotiating with Russia.

Ukraine's security service has reportedly shot & killed Denis Kireev, a member of the Ukrainian negotiating team, pictured far back on the right in the photo. He was apparently killed while resisting arrest on suspicion of treason, @ukrpravda_news reports. https://t.co/B0kOhWxMmI pic.twitter.com/pFWfXIEFzK
    — Christopher Miller (@ChristopherJM) March 5, 2022
    By the way I think i should mention this. The US has over 32 countries now using SWIFT bans on Russia. This seems like it would be damaging. It is not really. Why? Because even those banks and Russia can still trade in Euros and every other currency on earth,just not our currency.
    I thought it was a total ban on using SWIFT,it is not according to the Indian times,who points out they can still pay in Euro's and of course the Rupee,it was only trade in US dollars that SWIFT is stopping.

Now to me that looks like a direct attack on the dollar...instituted by well...US.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Sadly the reports and observers where stopped,and the OSCE pretty much took over all reporting,with a rather strong bias for the government of Ukraine
    My point was, it takes two to tango - or engage in cross-border shelling

You lament one source of reporting on the human rights violations in the area as being biased in favor of Ukraine and then quote a UN-based source as if it will somehow be less biased

If you read what I posted, you see that pretty much all forces in the area on both sides are unsavory, the painting of some as Neo-Nazi, while true to some extent, is an appeal to emotion rather than reason of exactly the kind you say you are against. Is any group willing to shell civilian areas any better than any other group willing to do so?

For someone who wishes us to be skeptical and develop our own opinions, you do not seem pleased when that process produces results that do not align with the what seems to be your preferences

The opinion that I have formed is that Russia has wanted to take, at the very least, more of Ukraine ever since it took Crimea and stood up its own militias for that purpose. Ukrainian militias are an outgrowth of that process, at least to the extent they were enfolded into the regular Ukraine command and control. Their value is in their willingness to fight much more than any commitment to democracy, warlordism begets warlordism. Russia inflamed resentments when it annexed Crimea and looked the other way on human rights abuses prior to and after that event as long as it didn't affect what they considered their own people

Russia has triggered an 'Israel effect' in that an outnumbered and outgunned country (nominally) committed to democratic principles will receive an outsized amount of attention and military aid. Putin will take all of Ukraine, whether that is what he wanted or not, because now he has little choice. That will set up a new mujahedeen, if there are enough people who wish to continue the fight, leading to a bloody insurgency where Moscow's coming human rights abuses will be ever more on display. Seems pretty much lose-lose and I don't look for Putin to survive his miscalculation. He will have strengthened NATO and its members commitment to their own defense, increased co-operation between EU militaries and even caused the nuclear powers to rethink arsenal reductions with his ham-handed nuclear blackmail

If this doesn't descend into WW3 he has weakened Russia tremendously, revived Realpolitik and cost his supporters a lot of money and access. He has set Russia back at least 30 years

It makes no sense to me, but I lay a great deal of blame at Biden's feet, especially for saying, in effect, that 'If it is only a small incursion, it will be no big deal'. Now the big question becomes whether that process of encouraging Putin to seize the moment was accidental or planned

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    My point was, it takes two to tango - or engage in cross-border shelling

You lament one source of reporting on the human rights violations in the area as being biased in favor of Ukraine and then quote a UN-based source as if it will somehow be less biased
    My point was who did the reporting(UN human rights watch vs OSCE and how politics of the reporting changed when that happened). Which is why almost zero media (in the western world)coverage happened after the change.
    If you read what I posted, you see that pretty much all forces in the area on both sides are unsavory, the painting of some as Neo-Nazi, while true to some extent, is an appeal to emotion rather than reason of exactly the kind you say you are against. Is any group willing to shell civilian areas any better than any other group willing to do so?
    To be fair the two regions in question never shelled any civilians,by any report ever.

For someone who wishes us to be skeptical and develop our own opinions, you do not seem pleased when that process produces results that do not align with the what seems to be your preferences
    I am always open to information,but I do stay very aware of the language used. Always checking for information,political leaning,and things like unnecessary adjectives(I have learned to almost read without seeing adjectives most of the time,because more often that not they are to steer the reader one specific way).
    The opinion that I have formed is that Russia has wanted to take, at the very least, more of Ukraine ever since it took Crimea and stood up its own militias for that purpose.
    I will agree in part. I think they wanted the maiden leadership out. Did you know in Indian news they actual have stated that Ukraine was really governed by the US embassy. The world do not agree with how the US over threw a president,and unlike our media they reported it very differently(though you will have to use a proxy to search anything in google these days as it censors most articles critical of the USA or our government).

Russia has triggered an 'Israel effect' in that an outnumbered and outgunned country (nominally) committed to democratic principles will receive an outsized amount of attention and military aid. Putin will take all of Ukraine, whether that is what he wanted or not, because now he has little choice. That will set up a new mujahedeen, if there are enough people who wish to continue the fight, leading to a bloody insurgency where Moscow's coming human rights abuses will be ever more on display. Seems pretty much lose-lose and I don't look for Putin to survive his miscalculation. He will have strengthened NATO and its members commitment to their own defense, increased co-operation between EU militaries and even caused the nuclear powers to rethink arsenal reductions with his ham-handed nuclear blackmail
    Without Russian gas and oil the EU can not do much honestly. Some of what I have read leads me to believe Germany could lose up to 70%(granted the German estimation is 30%,but counts on imports from other countries) of their manufacturing base without the energy to run it provided by Russia. Germany today(3/5/22) Germany itself said Ukraine will never be a member of NATO. Why? Because they need Russia more than they need Ukraine.
    If this doesn't descend into WW3 he has weakened Russia tremendously, revived Realpolitik and cost his supporters a lot of money and access. He has set Russia back at least 30 years
    India and most of Eurasia,Africa,and South America are strengthening ties with Russia as the EU(mostly not France for example) cut ties.
    It makes no sense to me, but I lay a great deal of blame at Biden's feet, especially for saying, in effect, that 'If it is only a small incursion, it will be no big deal'. Now the big question becomes whether that process of encouraging Putin to seize the moment was accidental or planned
    Planned for sure. The Biden administration has already stated they had been drawing up sanction plans for over 6 months.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I think one has to go back to the Minsk agreements in the Donbas region to get an idea how Putin orchestrated the pretext of his invasion into Ukraine. Both Minsk I and Minsk II were never fully implemented. Minsk I because both parties violated the terms which lead to Minsk II. Minsk II wasn't implemented because of a disagreement between Ukraine and Russia's interpretation which led to what is called the "Minsk conundrum"

"The Ukrainian government viewed it as a means to reunite Ukraine and fully restore Ukrainian sovereignty, though with certain devolved powers given to the two regions. (DNR/LNR)

On the other hand, the Kremlin believes that the accords enshrine a process that would see a Russia-aligned administration in Luhansk and Donetsk and special status granted to them before they are reunited with the rest of Ukraine.

This would ensure that Russia retains an influence over the country and Ukraine can never be truly sovereign."

Putin ultimately decided the deal was dead blaming Ukraine for not honoring it and he took it upon himself to recognize the autonomy of the DNR and LNR basically making his own edict to enact his interpretation without further participation by Ukraine. After recognizing the DNR and LNR he then had them request military assistance to ensure that the new declaration based on his interpretation was enforced.

This triggered the mess that is currently underway. This is the way Putin orchestrated it. He basically bypassed Ukraine's say in their own sovereignty and decided to take Ukraine over by military force on behalf of the DNR/LNR after declaring that the Minsk agreements had failed.

Russia basically became their instant military under Putin's guidance. He was taking the helm. It was no longer the Russian influenced proxy DNR/LNR against the EU/US backed Ukrainian Government it directly became Russia against the Ukrainian Government. Now it could be said that both sides were proxies, and the underlying conflict is between the EU/US and Russia over control of Ukrainian affairs.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Beautiful day in central Indiana. Went to our nephews basketball game in Noblesville, Hamilton Town Center has people everywhere.

No cluster bombs, no artillery rounds coming in, no missiles.

The 2A ain’t about hunting. It is necessary to the security of a free state.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Beautiful day in central Indiana. Went to our nephews basketball game in Noblesville, Hamilton Town Center has people everywhere.

No cluster bombs, no artillery rounds coming in, no missiles.

The 2A ain’t about hunting. It is necessary to the security of a free state.
    How dare you do normal things! My god man. Don't you know there's a crisis going on over in Europe and we're on the verge of WW3?! :runaway:

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Now this.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom