• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    This, exactly. This is what you must do if you have to take your firearm to a store to try it in a holster.

So a few weeks ago I stopped into one of our local shops, no intention of buying anything, just looking. Found something that really interested me and bought it. Now I don't have a holster to fit it, but it's approx. the same size as the piece I'm carrying. Ask the clerk if it's OK to check it out for fit, of course I need to remove my sidearm from the holster which is loaded with one in the tube, I inform the sales clerk of this, he says go ahead, no problem. Loaded pistol lays on the counter all the while holster is being tried. So now I'm an idiot? Don't think so, you may, but I don't, and neither does the sales clerk nor the shop manager who was standing right there, nor the city officer who was right behind me.

BTW, my holster did not fit and I bought one that did, all the while the shop manager swept most everyone there trying to find one that did fit. The gun is not going to go off all by itself, that is a fact, never going to happen.

Once again, temper your safety with common sense. I realize this is in extremely short supply today, about like .22 rimfire ammo.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Leaving your pistol in the holster is like a man going into a public bathroom to take a leak. You don't expose yourself until you are facing the urnal. Leave your gun holstered in public unless needed. If I wanted to try a holster for my EDC that is holstered loaded, I would ask to go out to their range to clear the weapon or go out to my vehicle and return with an unloaded gun.

Just my :twocents:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Leaving your pistol in the holster is like a man going into a public bathroom to take a leak. You don't expose yourself until you are facing the urnal. Leave your gun holstered in public unless needed. If I wanted to try a holster for my EDC that is holstered loaded, I would ask to go out to their range to clear the weapon or go out to my vehicle and return with an unloaded gun.

Just my :twocents:

Well I didn't, and it was OK with everyone there that mattered including law enforcement.

No, they did not have a range.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hey, whatever, your a grown man. It hasnt bitten you in the ass yet, I guess. But if it does, it bites us all in the ass, so we tend to overemphasize safety. I know I have pointed out unsafe behavior to guys much older than me, and I dont really care if they don't like it, my father included. Nothing wrong with being a safety "nazi" when it comes to firearms.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    I read a lot on here but don't comment much. But reading this thread hits home with me I've been on the receiving end of a negligent discharge. So I see two issues. A. He didn't clear his chamber. B. Neither the clerk or the customer who witnessed it said anything to him. See I always blamed the guy who shot me for his negligent discharge but truth be told I could have spoken up at any time but didn't.

reeseg45

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    The adjective negligent comes from the Latin word neglegentia, meaning "carelessness." Other words that share the same roots include the noun negligence and neglect — which has both noun and verb forms. All three words have meanings that imply the same sort of thing — a lack of attention to the well being of something or someone.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you are going holster shopping, bring your normal carry gun in a case, unloaded, and let the guy behind the counter know whats going on. I'm sure they'd be happy with it. But dont just go in, grab a holster, and whip your carry gun out, unload it, and try a holster.

This is how I do it also... I think its just "responsible" for many reasons. Or at least the best way to holster shop at least for reasons discussed here obviously.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see what the big deal is. I mean this guy was just following the example set forth by member(s) of the law enforcement community which are so safe and responsible that they alone should be allowed to carry anywhere and everywhere.

Here's a fine example that he must have observed and imitated:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGASXl_EiZQ

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Tell me something. Why is it careless/negligent to remove a loaded sidearm from a holster without putting ones finger on the trigger? After all it is the trigger that fires the arm. Also it's perfectly OK to carry a loaded long gun and not have a finger on the trigger in public. Again it is the trigger that fires the arm and it is the finger that activates the trigger.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So a few weeks ago I stopped into one of our local shops, no intention of buying anything, just looking. Found something that really interested me and bought it. Now I don't have a holster to fit it, but it's approx. the same size as the piece I'm carrying. Ask the clerk if it's OK to check it out for fit, of course I need to remove my sidearm from the holster which is loaded with one in the tube, I inform the sales clerk of this, he says go ahead, no problem. Loaded pistol lays on the counter all the while holster is being tried. So now I'm an idiot? Don't think so, you may, but I don't, and neither does the sales clerk nor the shop manager who was standing right there, nor the city officer who was right behind me.

BTW, my holster did not fit and I bought one that did, all the while the shop manager swept most everyone there trying to find one that did fit. The gun is not going to go off all by itself, that is a fact, never going to happen.

Once again, temper your safety with common sense. I realize this is in extremely short supply today, about like .22 rimfire ammo.

You're trying to justify your action by stating that two other people agreed that what you were doing was safe. I'm not buying it at all. Want to check for fit? Go unload it at a sand barrel, then have those other two people check it.

I'm not sure if this is a spoof thread inside the real thread. If not, then was the officer behind you this man: Police Chief David Counceller Shoots Himself AGAIN. Seriously, he did the same thing you think is safe and shot himself.

EDIT:
    Tell me something. Why is it careless/negligent to remove a loaded sidearm from a holster without putting ones finger on the trigger? After all it is the trigger that fires the arm. Also it's perfectly OK to carry a loaded long gun and not have a finger on the trigger in public. Again it is the trigger that fires the arm and it is the finger that activates the trigger.
    Not even going to fight that strawman.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    How is clearing a gun in a store more dangerous than at home in your bedroom, other than having witnesses to any NDs. To me, the location doesn't make one safer than the other.

Just trying to get a better view of the thought processes going on here.
    Matt

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South

So not only did you removed your loaded firearm from its holster and set it on the counter (yeah, i'm not even touching that one) but then allowed a complete stranger (that's an assumption on my part...you could be brothers for all i know, but it wouldn't change anything) to pick up said loaded firearm (obviously never once clearing it) and walk around a store full of people with said loaded firearm instead of clearing it? :scratch:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    So not only did you removed your loaded firearm from its holster and set it on the counter (yeah, i'm not even touching that one) but then allowed a complete stranger (that's an assumption on my part...you could be brothers for all i know, but it wouldn't change anything) to pick up said loaded firearm (obviously never once clearing it) and walk around a store full of people with said loaded firearm instead of clearing it? :scratch:

Once again you've discovered what assuming does to you. My firearm which was loaded sat quietly on the counter with no one touching it while I tried the new gun I purchased in my original holster. The loaded gun was out of the holster sitting on the counter 5 seconds at the most. It would have taken much more handling and been more dangerous to go thru the act of completely unloading it.

Remove loaded gun from holster and sit on counter with permission. Try new pistol which is unloaded in my holster. Pass new purchase back to dealer and pick up loaded pistol and replace in holster. No one other than me touched my loaded pistol, no one including me never touched the trigger on my pistol.

Like I said, out of holster 5 seconds at the most.

See what happens when you start assuming?

Shop manager, swept the shop with a new purchase which had yet to ever be loaded other than for the test round at the factory.

BTW, the new gun had bee racked many times during the handling to check for a loaded round.

Its amazing what some can read into a post.

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    Once again you've discovered what assuming does to you. My firearm which was loaded sat quietly on the counter with no one touching it while I tried the new gun I purchased in my original holster. The loaded gun was out of the holster sitting on the counter 5 seconds at the most. It would have taken much more handling and been more dangerous to go thru the act of completely unloading it.

Remove loaded gun from holster and sit on counter with permission. Try new pistol which is unloaded in my holster. Pass new purchase back to dealer and pick up loaded pistol and replace in holster. No one other than me touched my loaded pistol, no one including me never touched the trigger on my pistol.

Like I said, out of holster 5 seconds at the most.

See what happens when you start assuming? Not really...i read your post, made my decision about your actions from the information that was presented (which, based on this newest post was vague to say the least) and made my own assumptions (which i made very obvious that's exactly what they were) to be able to make sense of what happened...please, enlighten me, what exactly happened to me because i assumed?

Shop manager, swept the shop with a new purchase which had yet to ever be loaded other than for the test round at the factory.

BTW, the new gun had bee racked many times during the handling to check for a loaded round.

Its amazing what some can read into a post. Pretty easy to do when the original post is less than half of the actual story

^^^^Sorry for my confusion :yesway:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Its amazing what some can read into a post.
    I now understand - you tried a new pistol in the holster you were wearing. Gotcha. I think a lot of us read that you were testing your pistol in different holster.

No sand barrel present.
    My point is that I don't clear guns without a safe place to discharge rounds - a sand barrel is ideal in a home or business.

So I see you now feel the need to resort to name calling, stooping pretty low aren't you?
    :facepalm: Look it up. Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Bottom